Combine driver cabs?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.

What should I do?

Leave driver cabs seperate
14%
Merge driver cabs
86%

Total votes: 21

RyanVM
Site Admin

Combine driver cabs?

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:09 pm

In my next release, there will be a few hotfixed files which will be replacing files within the driver cabs (driver.cab and/or sp2.cab). I have a batch file which does the following:
1.) Detect the presence of sp2.cab.
2.) If it finds it, it extracts it. If it doesn't, it extracts driver.cab.
3.) Copies the fixed files into the extracted directory.
4.) Re-compresses cab file.

Here's the question I have for you guys - it wouldn't be much more work to also combine the driver cabs (assuming sp2.cab exists) while I'm at it. Should I put that into the batch file or not? Functionally, it shouldn't affect anything regarding how well the update pack works. This is simply a space/convenience factor.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by RyanVM on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leviathan

Post by leviathan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:59 pm

I say go for it... Why not?

If it causes any issues, like you said, it is part of a batch file and can be removed.

I know space isn't really an issue these days on computers, but what the hey?

If anyone has anything on why it shouldn't be done, please let me know.

--Leviathan

TJHart85

YES

Post by TJHart85 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:10 am

Personally I vote yes, saving space is always a good thing, especially when it doesn't effect anything else.

TjobzzZ

Post by TjobzzZ » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:29 am

I voted YES, I think it's always a good Idea to put more into less :D

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:17 am

I voted yes sounds like a solid idea to me. The results so far are more than a satisfactory yes.
The Man from Aus

Bonedaddy

Post by Bonedaddy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:59 am

Only question, will it still work with nLite? If there is no problem, go for it...........

more dogs than bones........
"Only the good die young"

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:02 am

I've never had a problem merging the driver.cab. You should also make a batch file fpr people who have both sp1.cab and sp2.cab. In that case you would copy sp2.cab into sp1.cab and then that into driver.cab and then you would copy the hotfixs into driver.cab.

a06

Post by a06 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:07 am

yes, provided it doesnt make anything not work ("if it aint broke don't fix it")...my cd is perfect now, and i am just updating hotfixes, etc.

the cd will function the exact same way?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:25 am

Bonedaddy wrote:Only question, will it still work with nLite? If there is no problem, go for it...........

more dogs than bones........
nLite will be ignoring the batch file anyway, but yes, nLite does support merging the CAB files.
keytotime wrote:I've never had a problem merging the driver.cab. You should also make a batch file fpr people who have both sp1.cab and sp2.cab. In that case you would copy sp2.cab into sp1.cab and then that into driver.cab and then you would copy the hotfixs into driver.cab.
Good point.
a06 wrote:yes, provided it doesnt make anything not work ("if it aint broke don't fix it")...my cd is perfect now, and i am just updating hotfixes, etc.

the cd will function the exact same way?
Yes, I've been merging the CAB files nearly since I first starting making unattended CDs over a year and a half ago.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:34 am

I voted yes, but with a question and comment.

I use nLite as a part of my source creation for both CD/DVD and RIS and I do use the merge cab option. If nLite ignores the batch file, then the older files will remain? And if so, will the batch still work after an nLite operation?

I realize that both you and Nuhi got a lot going on, but the first time you two cooperated with your projects it worked out rather well. Is there a chance that this could be done again? The merging and recompressing step in nLite takes quite a while and I imagine if it essentially has to be done twice, it will take twice as long each time I start out a new project from the beginning.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:35 am

RogueSpear wrote:Is there a chance that this could be done again?
...that was the idea ;)

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:37 am

:oops: Heh heh.. oh. Maybe I should have realized that. :D

tbone2

Post by tbone2 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:55 am

batch file :)

jrf2027

Post by jrf2027 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:04 pm

How will this affect those of us who don't use nLite? Just run a batch file after extracting your pack over i386? If it won't require nLite (no offense to nuhi, but it just has never worked quite right for me), I'm all for it.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Of course nLite won't be required. And I'll of course be updating the directions as necessary.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

PsiMoon314

Post by PsiMoon314 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:33 am

Hi RyanVM,

Can you forsee any OS or third-party compatibility issues from combining these cab files as you describe?

As a system builder I try to keep the installed OS's I ship as close to "vanilla" as possible to avoid compatibility issues within the OS or with any software the customer might wish to install.

If what you are proposing doesn't cause any compatibility issues then you have my vote :-)

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa
--

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:39 am

I have yet to have any issues with merging driver cabs after over a year of doing it. No files are being deleted and drvindex.inf is updated to properly reflect all the files being in the same cab, so I can't see any reason why any issues would ever arise from doing it.

PsiMoon314

Post by PsiMoon314 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:54 am

Hi RyanVM,

I will have to bow down to your superior wisdom and experience on these issues :wink:

I know from many years of Software QA (formal Software Testing) that when people say "Oh, it won't change anything" that often means the exact opposite :D

As a for instance, I know for a fact that there is at least one unpublished and unacknowledged MS hotfix in XP SP1 which was never released seperately relating to USB support (related to switching from Bulk to Isochronous transfers).

This issue cause my previous employers a lot of money and because of this change and they had to ship CDs' with SP1 included and tell customers to install it.

Trivial and small changes often cause the most disasterous results :o

Kind Regards

Simon

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:22 pm

Well, CAB merging is certainly something I'd call tried and tested from a QA standpoint :)