XP SP3 on MU site..

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
TechnoHunter

XP SP3 on MU site..

Post by TechnoHunter » Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 pm

well, unless its just me they finally put the damn thing on the update site..

great big link on the top of the page saying we recommend blah, blah, blah

anyone else tried installing it yet? or should i click past it for my customers..

i keep hearing things on this forum about it causing problems with some things but i dont know if that is because it was slipstreamed or just unstable..

Thanks for any info!

TechnoHunter

PsiMoon314

Post by PsiMoon314 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:27 am

Hi,

Any sign of SP3 compatible IE7 updates (or any other SP3 compatible updates for that matter) on WU / MU?

Kind Regards

Simon

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Thu May 08, 2008 7:04 am

I had no problems whatsoever slipstreaming SP3 or integrating an update pack and addons afterwards, or installing XP from this new source.

The only problems I've read about other people having on here all involved one or more of those actions.

I have no idea why I haven't had any problem with the slipstreaming/integration/XP installation process and some other people have. I'm sure there are other people who haven't had any problem with it either.

I haven't heard anyone report any problems of just *installing* SP3 on a running system, but maybe that's because noone on here has done it because they've all slipstreamed it. :P

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu May 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Meh .... I have better luck with installing SP3 on already running systems than with slipstreaming.

So other than the "something I am doing" with the slipstreaming process, I do not see an issue with SP3. It works as advertised.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Jondar

Post by Jondar » Thu May 08, 2008 2:00 pm

[quote="roirraW "edor""]I haven't heard anyone report any problems of just *installing* SP3 on a running system, but maybe that's because noone on here has done it because they've all slipstreamed it. :P[/quote]

I'm not sure that I can call it a problem, per se, but I installed SP3 on my main working system which was nLited, and the full installer installed files from things that I had removed, such as a load of Frontpage Express and Movie Maker type files :)

I solved it by disabling SFC, deleted the "extra" folders in Program Files.

Otherwise, it's working fine for me. To be honest, I can't really tell much difference between SP2 and SP3...

One thing I did notice is that the installer looked as though it was copying files multiple times based on the messages the installer was producing. Some of the file names popped up multiple times next to the word "Installing:" :)

-- Jondar

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Thu May 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Jondar wrote:I'm not sure that I can call it a problem, per se, but I installed SP3 on my main working system which was nLited, and the full installer installed files from things that I had removed, such as a load of Frontpage Express and Movie Maker type files :)
Ah! Nice reminder. As you probably suspected, that was to be expected. I'm a poet... I recall Nuhi having said that Service Packs would do this.
Jondar wrote:One thing I did notice is that the installer looked as though it was copying files multiple times based on the messages the installer was producing. Some of the file names popped up multiple times next to the word "Installing:" :)
I'm sure it's a "feature" Microsoft introduced, to make tripley sure the files get installed. <- sarcasm :lol: