XP and IE6 / IE7 Issues (from MS IE Team Blog)

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
PsiMoon314

XP and IE6 / IE7 Issues (from MS IE Team Blog)

Post by PsiMoon314 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:25 am

Hi,

There is a new article on the MS IE Team Blog regarding SP3 / IE7 issues here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/0 ... xpsp3.aspx

The article describes the IE6 / IE7 interaction with SP3 and is well worth reading.

The upshot of the article is the following quote:
If you install IE7 after you install XPSP3, then you will be able to uninstall IE7 at any point and be reverted to the newer IE6 version that ships in XPSP3. The restriction on uninstalling only applies to when you install a Windows Service Pack release on top of a standalone IE release.

Keeping this in mind, you might want to uninstall IE7, upgrade to XPSP3 and then install IE7 again so you can uninstall IE7 in the future if need be.
On this basis I would suggest that slipstreaming IE7 into Windows XP SP3 might not be the best way to go and a post XP install of IE7 (upgrading the included SP3 version of IE6) might be the best course of action.

Just food for thought ... :)

Kind Regards

Simon

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Thu May 08, 2008 7:09 am

Just my opinion, but my interpretation of that is that they recommend installing IE7 after SP3 as opposed to updating to SP3 via standalone installer when IE7 was already installed.

Whenever you integrate IE7, whether on SP2 or SP3, you can't uninstall it later, so nothing has changed. It worked fine on my latest XP installation.

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu May 08, 2008 7:17 am

So basically, an svcpack T-13 installer is more recommended than integration/slipstreaming it?

posttoast

Post by posttoast » Thu May 08, 2008 8:08 am

marzsyndrome wrote:So basically, an svcpack T-13 installer is more recommended than integration/slipstreaming it?
Well, only if you want to uninstall IE7. But I can't think of any reason to do this. The same happens if you have SP2 with IE7 and install SP3. After that IE7 can't be uninstalled. No problem if you ask me.

PsiMoon314

Post by PsiMoon314 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:20 am

Hi,

I guess you have not seen than many broken IE7 installations or post install issues later on that require an IE7 reinstall ;)

You can use the stand-alone installer to fix IE7 issues but occasionally an uninstall and reinstall is the only way to fix a problem.

Frankly I think for compatibility sake it might be better, when doing a clean SP3 install, to let it install it's own version of IE6 and then update to IE7 post install.

Having said than I have seen more than a few IE6 to IE7 updates fail so I guess nothing is perfect! :)

Kind Regards

Simon

posttoast

Post by posttoast » Thu May 08, 2008 9:30 am

PsiMoon314 wrote:Hi,

I guess you have not seen than many broken IE7 installations or post install issues later on that require an IE7 reinstall ;)
I am a devout Firefox user, so you are right: I haven't seen that much broken installations :wink: