slipstream .Net?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
pen25jf

slipstream .Net?

Post by pen25jf » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:34 am

Hi there,

pretty sure I already know the answer, but what the heck, here goes:

Is there any way to integrate .Net 1 or 2 (I know three is a pain), e.g. same way as an update pack or Booogy's, where it's "uninstallable"?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:27 pm

You are in luck. Yes there is. Use the AIO .Net installers. Either have them run from the SVCPACK.INF or from the "RunOnce/RunOnceEx" method. It is completely uninstallable. (The entries for removal are there, however I have not tested the uninstall.)
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks Crash. Other then being uninstallable, what is the difference between the AIO and RogueSpear's packs (since both can run at SVCPACK)?

Thanks.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:39 pm

pen25jf wrote:Thanks Crash. Other then being uninstallable, what is the difference between the AIO and RogueSpear's packs (since both can run at SVCPACK)?

Thanks.
I have not used RogueSpear's packs recently. However, the reason I *had* switched a few months ago was because the AIO pack that I used includes '.net v3.5'. I do not know if RogueSpear has included that with his update packs. If he has, then the difference will be just two different people preparing the addon. If not, then the AIO that I use will include '.net v3.5'.

Admittingly, there could be some differences in how & what is directly installed (updates, etc), but I have not taken that much of an in depth look at the differences.

I hope that helps you out.
--Anonymous

shon3i

Post by shon3i » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:10 pm

Did somebody knows some combo net 1.1+2.0 for windows 2000? I tryed with Rougespear's but something not working and Net 2.0 is not instaled

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Crash - yes, Rogue has 3.5 ran at runonce.

shon - I actually used RogueSpear's .net 1 & 2 combo on 2000 and they work. I know .net 3 does not, though.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 am

pen25jf wrote:Crash - yes, Rogue has 3.5 ran at runonce.

shon - I actually used RogueSpear's .net 1 & 2 combo on 2000 and they work. I know .net 3 does not, though.
It may be that RogueSpear has his addons on his own site. Hence the reason I have not downloaded them. Therefore my information is outdated on what his packs can and cannot do.

Oh well. Life moves on.
--Anonymous

galileo

Post by galileo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:25 am

@crash

RogueSpear's work is the "peak of the pyramid" (IMHO :!: )...advise you join his site (free) and spelunk around. Generally speaking, if RS has not done it then it is highly unlikely that it can be done "correctly"..... :wink:

Only once in a "great" while will some rare individual will stumble upon a technique that he has not found. Various items of his work actually contain "fixes" (or repairs) for M$ oversights and will result in being able to accomplish "cleanly" and "correctly" things that no one else has achieved.....

bober101

Post by bober101 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:04 am

topic:slipstream .Net?
pen25jf wrote:Is there any way to integrate .Net 1 or 2 (I know three is a pain), e.g. same way as an update pack or Booogy's, where it's "uninstallable"?
so if we stay on topic here:
all i know is that everyone uses(and talking about) a swicthless installer and no slipstreaming is made, no true addon exsists of dot net, it would be a painstaking task to make one i think... the sheer number of entries is one of the main factors i think why no true addon is made.i just though that i should clear this up as the 1st post and topic refers to a true addon and no one replied with this this in mind.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 am

Correct, bober101. To my knowledge, there has only been one attempt at directly integrating the .NET frameworks, and it has long since been abandoned.

Switchless installers can provide far superior compression ratios for large packages than cabinet files anyway. ;)

bober101

Post by bober101 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:34 am

but how would be the unpacking times; sfx and or custom msi vs cab? as we all know the current switchless installers for dotnet(AIO) take quite a while to install.and if inf based would the deployment be faster even if the cab is bigger and may take even longer to unpack?
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:48 am

Possibly faster, since 7-Zip and RAR-based installers unpack to a temporary directory first. That step would be eliminated through direct integration.