SP3 question

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Dekorum

SP3 question

Post by Dekorum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Hey,
I usually use nLite v1.4 to make slipstreamed SP2 XP discs and integrate the newest post-SP2 update pack.. I am about to make a new nLite disc for my laptop and my question is... should I slipstream SP3 or stick with what I have been doing? The reason I ask is because there is no post-SP3 update packs from Ryan yet. But when there is one released, can I just slipstream SP3 and the post-SP3 update pack and forget about the post SP2 pack? I am assuming it will be like SP1.. where as I do not need to slipstream both SP1 and SP2 because SP2 takes care of SP1. So will SP3 also take care of SP2 and all the post SP2 update automatically? Also, would I need to use a newer version of nLite to slipstream SP3 or is 1.4 ok?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 am

There are already a couple of post-SP3 update packs that appear to do quite well for most members. I have personally tested redxii's update pack and it works well.

Just FYI.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

sayeds

Re: SP3 question

Post by sayeds » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:57 am

Dekorum wrote:So will SP3 also take care of SP2 and all the post SP2 update automatically? Also, would I need to use a newer version of nLite to slipstream SP3 or is 1.4 ok?
Well, yes.
SP3 does contain all updates/fixes included in SP2. It may even have fixes that replace ones that have now become obsolete.
Your current nlite version will work fine for slipstreaming SP3.
One warning though, make sure you don't have Ryan's or any other post SP2 update pack on the disk you're planning to slipstream with SP3. It can cause corruptions. Also don't try to integrate a post-SP2 update pack after slipstreaming SP3 because you will then totally F*** your installation up.(Sorry for the Vulgarity)

I have a question of my own for anyone who can answer it.
When slipstreaming SP3 over an SP2 disk some of the sp2 items remaining are obsolete, such as the SP2.cab and SP2.cat, also the WIN51IP.SP2 becomes obsolete. I have deleted these manually and this hasn't damaged the installation in any way.
Are there any other files remaining after slipstreaming the SP3 onto an SP2 cd that can be gotten rid of.
is there a way to find this out and then delete them?

crashfly

Re: SP3 question

Post by crashfly » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:48 pm

sayeds wrote:I have a question of my own for anyone who can answer it.
When slipstreaming SP3 over an SP2 disk some of the sp2 items remaining are obsolete, such as the SP2.cab and SP2.cat, also the WIN51IP.SP2 becomes obsolete. I have deleted these manually and this hasn't damaged the installation in any way.
Are there any other files remaining after slipstreaming the SP3 onto an SP2 cd that can be gotten rid of.
is there a way to find this out and then delete them?
The answer to that would be yes. I made a post over in another forum to someone who has gone through a little bit more in depth process of getting an "original" cd cleaned up and a bit of useless files removed. Located here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows-XP-SP ... 18781.html I have tried the method listed there and I have had no issues so far. I would believe that it is a somewhat sound process to use.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way