Is it possible to make a custom ASMS folder structure to ins

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
ricktendo64

Is it possible to make a custom ASMS folder structure to ins

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:08 am

I was wondering if anybody new how to make a asms folder and the correct sub-dirs that would allow these files to get installed to their proper location?

They are for messenger 5.1 for Windows XP I am just curious if it can be done this way?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 57a3b3d774

If you extract the MSI you will see the files I am referring to

Code: Select all

messenger\MFiles\PFiles\Messenger\Windows\winsxs\xxxxxxxx
EDIT: NM I think I found the solution in my winxp cd rom

Code: Select all

I386\ASMS\52\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\NETWORKING\RTCDLL\

kal

Post by kal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 am

I'm wondering what ASMS folders stand for? How does it work? Does files within SMS folder are copied without being in txtsetup.sif?

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:20 am

Yes, it seems so. Windows seems to recursively read folders in the ASMS folder looking for .man (manifest) files that point to the actual dll names (which can be compressed) in the same folder and a cat file (that can also be compressed) that is also referenced by this .man and signs it and the dlls.

I personally just followed the scheme that ryan used in his pack (and that code also used later when he released his runtimes).

Windows calls the Windows side by side assemblies API (IAssemblyCache::InstallAssembly) which installs newer runtime DLLs in the WinSxS folder by reading the manifest file.

The ASMS folder cannot be used to install anything than ms runtime packages and files files that are not installed to the WinSxS cache need to be installed manually like any normal addon (inf / entries) ... etc.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Yea...getting the number and other sub-dirs right was my only concern, stupid me did not look in my xp disc before I posted but I am glad that this post was of use to someone else other than me and not just spam :D

kal

Post by kal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:26 pm

Thanks for explainations n7Epsilon, it will be usefull.
And thanks for your post rick ;)