Looking for a XP SP 1 Update Pack or Directions

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
roadog0037

Looking for a XP SP 1 Update Pack or Directions

Post by roadog0037 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:41 am

Hi, I apologize in advance if this has been posted already and I couldn't find it.

I'm using a XP SP1 install disc to create a customized windows installation CD using nLite and Bart's PE. SP1 is the only version of XP install disc I have. So here is the problem...I'm slipstreaming/tweaking the install using nLite, and I have already downloaded SP2, SP2 update pack (from here, thanks Ryan!), as well as SP3, and SP3 update pack (from here, again). The disc as I said comes with SP 1 on it, but I'm trying to find a SP 1 Update Pack. Maybe I just can't remember well enough and all of the updates from SP1's time are included in SP2, I just want to make sure before I burn my install CD and wipe my drive only to find out I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks in advance :?: :?: :?:

redxii

Post by redxii » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:00 am

Are you trying to create XP SP3 disk w/ an SP3 update pack?

All you have to do is slipstream SP3 BEFORE anything else (nLite, update packs, etc); it isn't necessary, or recommend, to slipstream SP2 or update packs for SP2 if you want SP3.

roadog0037

Post by roadog0037 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 am

Here's the thing:

Once I make my custom install CD I am wiping my drive and doing a fresh install, so I don't think I can slipstream SP3 before installing windows can I? I don't know the exact in & outs of what I'm doing. My idea is, download all the SP's and update packs, as well as addons and use a 3rd party program to bring them together into a custom install CD. I have everything to do this except XP SP1's updates before SP2, I hope there is a pack for this. If not, and I have to slipstream SP3 to reach my goal, I have no idea how to do that to an install disc...lol. Oh man, please help! lol

redxii

Post by redxii » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:16 am

If you can run nLite, nLite is able to slipstream service packs.

Service packs are cumulative, to get the latest service pack (SP3), all you need to do is slipstream SP3, then you can add your addons. Slipstreaming SP2 is only a waste of time, and adding update packs in between is not recommended and will cause problems.

1) Use nLite to slipstream SP3. Just SP3.
2) Then your addons/update pack for SP3 and other customizations

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:20 am

1. if you want to slipstream Post-sp1 update pack instead of SP2 or SP3, there won't be any available.
2. if you just want to update your xp disk up-to-date, slipstreaming SP3 and then integrating Post-sp3 are the only steps you need.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:54 am

There is a updatepack for sp1 and its called sp3

lol j/k but yea you are on the right track, slipstream sp3 into your disk with nLite or the integrator its very easy

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:46 am

It would seem that most everyone else has commented on how to properly set up your install disc, however, since you are going to wipe your hdd after making it, you might want to test your cd first in a virtual machine. (Use MS Virtual PC, Virtual Box or VMware.)

This way, you can be assured your install CD will work *before* you lose the way of being able to "fix" it.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way