Use ADDONS on FRESH INSTALLATION OF XP

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
daemonsyn

Use ADDONS on FRESH INSTALLATION OF XP

Post by daemonsyn » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:04 am

I already created a XP SP3 with all the ADDONS/UPDATES that I need. Its working fine on my DESKTOP. The problem is my Laptop's CD-ROM is busted. Took out the HD and made it as a slave in my Desktop. I installed XP by using this command.

Code: Select all

D:\I386\winnt32 /syspart:E: /tempdrive:E: /makelocalsource /noreboot
But the problem is the addons didn't work.

5er_MSSignedThemes_Addon_v4.0_x86.7z
DriveSpace_v5.1.1.3_AddOn.cab
Kels_lite_addon_v4.3.cab
Multi_Siginet_MultiTheme-AddonsPack_1.7.cab
NR_IE7en_Addon_2.0.1_alt.7z
Ricks_CCleaner2.10.618_Intl_AddOn.7z
RVMUpdatePackSP3_0.9.2.7z

How can I install them manually?

Or is there other way I can install the ISO I made without CD-ROM.

Thanks

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:26 am

off hand i can think of a few things.. RogueSpear is good for info about RIS installations(install via network).. or you could buy/borrow a new cd-rom/ USB cd-rom to install from..

good luck!

daemonsyn

Post by daemonsyn » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:58 am

@TechnoHunter

RIS? Im new to this.

Is there a way to mount ISO in DOS MODE?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:56 am

daemonsyn wrote:Is there a way to mount ISO in DOS MODE?
I believe its impossible, try looking for a usb boot solution here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Install-XP-from-USB-f157.html

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:16 am

daemonsyn wrote:@TechnoHunter

RIS? Im new to this.

Is there a way to mount ISO in DOS MODE?
I do not think there is a dos program that can do what you want. However, if you can extract the contents of the ISO to the hard drive, you can then use the command as posted above.

The point is though, if you cannot access your setup files, then re-installation is not going to work.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

bober101

Post by bober101 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:25 am

1-copy the install files to ure laptop's hdd
2-boot with a bootable usb key and call winnt.exe

this isint tested but it should work fine.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

m-p{3}

Post by m-p{3} » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Why not try to put GRUB4DOS on a USB drive, and with that mount the ISO file at boot?

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:44 pm

you could probably get an external cd or dvd rom drive for around $20

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:38 am

Leave notebook HDD in your desktop alone. Install Windows. Then return desktop HDD back & boot from it. Install Acronis True Image with Universal Restore, make image of notebook disk & copy image to note HDD back (with Acronis).
Windows should boots fine in notebook now...

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:53 am

installing the hard drive on a pc and trying to boot it on a laptop??? ya right.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:28 am

oddly enough bober101 it will work.. Acronis TrueImage (Workstation with Universal Restore) will rebuild the HAL during the restore proccess (like a mini setup) sounds odd but works great!

-wave-

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:35 am

Or, if you build up a new XP image and include all of the DriverPacks, it will load proprly on what 99% of the systems out there........

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Pasha_ZZZ wrote:Leave notebook HDD in your desktop alone. Install Windows. Then return desktop HDD back & boot from it. Install Acronis True Image with Universal Restore, make image of notebook disk & copy image to note HDD back (with Acronis).
Windows should boots fine in notebook now...
I agree with this method. It is the best method I know of to CLONE a system with different hardware.

So just plug the Notebook drive onto the desktop computer.
Disconnect any other hard drives from your system to avoid complications.
Boot from your cd and install windows to the notebook hard drive (Just like you normally would do).
Now plug all of your desktops HD's in and leave the notebook drive installed as well.
Boot into your own Windows.
Install Acronis True Image and the Universal Restore Plugin.
Now create a backup of the notebook drive with Acronis.
Once backup is complete you now will want to do a restore to the notebook drive of the backup you just made. (Just remember to enable the Universal Restore option!) What this will do is restore the drive without the hardware information.
Now put the drive back into the notebook and install your notebook drivers and you are finished. ;)

It sounds like a lot of work... but really the backup and restore process is very quick.

I wish I knew of a way to skip the backup and restore option but I don't. Basically I wish there was some sort of utility we could just run on the installed notebook drive to rip out any Hardware information after we install it on the desktop but I have not been able to find anything that does it... and I do not know how.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Gyan1010

Post by Gyan1010 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:34 pm

I don't have this problem but the idea of that "Universal Restore Plugin" got me interested. Currently my department uses ghost to push out images over a network.

Because the people running IS before me were idiots. The computers are very non-standardized and we have about 20 totally different builds that require different ghost images. Currently I just use this site to help build install disk, then use them to update my base images for all 20.

Is there a way to add this software and make a ghost image that would work on any hardware config?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:47 pm

Well basically you could create a disk with the integrator... install a system. Do the acronis backup and then you could deploy this image to any computer. Also... i think people have found a way to use driverpacks with acronis universal images as well. :D Which could give you a way to install the images and drivers all in one deploy.

This is actually something I plan on testing soon. The cool thing is the amount of time you save by deploying images instead of installing windows.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Gyan1010

Post by Gyan1010 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 pm

yeah images are way faster. I am just trying to avoid paying for an enterprise version of acronis that allows me to deploy them over a network. there is supposed to be a way to make a hardware independent ghost image using sysprep but I don't have time right not to look for an easy guide.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:29 pm

So this method using Acronis is sort of an extension of what Sysprep does? Where Sysprep works if the HAL is pretty close between the various machines, and the Acronis method strips all the hardware similarity requirements? I've not used Sysprep in XP, but we used it all the time with Win2K in our lab to make one image and deploy it to all the lab's computers.

Cheers and Regards.

Here's a link at MS for a Sysprep "How To" for XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577