any1 for regQ2inf ?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
ENU_user

any1 for regQ2inf ?

Post by ENU_user » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Im looking forward for a tool that will pars & pipe any REG QUERY results to inf format > OUT.

i could probably pull out such a tool but it would be a waste since ill be using other portable utilities just to get this one thing done :lol: wile its preferable to be done in pure code

it may resemble reg2inf translating *.reg but this will translate what is in REG QUERY output result ..

its possible to use REG EXPORT and then reg2inf to translate to inf format but reg2inf will make a whole inf file ...

for instance if reg2Qinf.exe was available a script maker could point to a key or a specific value under some key and translate it to inf format in >sdout style

( so it is easy to get inf formatted lines even for one value only; like version information )

this can surly be helpful in updating addons through scripts
instead of updating & re uploading the load of addons; most application updates are for base files so there cant be anything extraordinary with each release besides maybe some reg settings like file version stuff.)

a user can then install the latest app version & experiment the new release:: if he likes it he then uses the addon builder for that app with a script using regQ2inf with some file gather method to lastly have create the uptodated version of that addon ...

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:23 am

The idea of REG EXPORT and then reg2inf is actually the best way to go. A simple vbscript could do that quite easily and even perform the cleanup that you wanted. That would be infinitely easier than duplicating the work already done by n7Epsilon.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:00 am

most (win)unix tools allow you the option of piping and redirecting the command as one wishes with more or less options to get clean results

REG.exe is a good windows tool and no one should have any issues with it really

REG QUERY deals both with keys & specific values Unlike REG EXPORT that can export a whole key but not a specific value

Code: Select all

REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox" /v CurrentVersion|RQ2inf>>Firefox.inf
cant get any cleaner then this ....

I must point that its worth an extra tool with out getting into all the specfic stuff as to why

obviously for creating personal user's side addons that will include personal reg settings

i know i could use such a tool whether it will be for the addon making purpose that I intend for sharing or for my personal use ... definitely for script based addon building per app (updates) kind of thing ..

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Yes, piping would be nice, but that assumes that the stdout output is actually usable and suitable for machine parsing. And the output of reg query is not. It's formatted for human reading, not for machine parsing and re-use. I'd be worried about edge cases where you could get corrupted data as a result.

(By edge cases, I mean, how resilient is it when it encounters non-ASCII data, given that stdout/stdin doesn't handle Unicode? What about special characters like line breaks or tabs in either the value or data fields? Etc.)
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:59 pm

I agree a more adequate tool for the job would help solve sudden later surprises in edge cases ...

if something could be worked out to just retrieve a key or specific value information formatted out to inf lines why that will make a big difference right there.

it seems there is a source available, which I personally wouldn't know how to go about:; ;)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724875

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:47 am

This could be done, however I cannot get the output piped into a script very easily. It would be better if you piped the results out to a text file, then ran a script on the text file. There is a structure to the output, so a script could be made to convert it. Having made a few different versions of reg2inf and inf2reg conversions, I personally won't be restructuring it for this syntax. n7epsilon might, but it looks like a pretty good amount of rewrite to handle the differences.

Besides when I use my version, I just drop a .reg file onto it and then cut/paste the components that I want anyway.

Maybe if I ever have a real need for it I would make it. I would post it here if I did.

MrWoo.

55ttt

Post by 55ttt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:32 am

This would be a very useful tool. Especially if no .BLOAT is needed and it could handle the more complex data.
In the mean time, anyone know of a still available reg2inf that does not require .BLOAT?
Thanks

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:17 am

55ttt wrote:This would be a very useful tool. Especially if no .BLOAT is needed and it could handle the more complex data.
In the mean time, anyone know of a still available reg2inf that does not require .BLOAT?
Thanks
I made a standalone version. Drag and drop an .inf file and convert to either .reg or .au3 script. Drop a .reg file and convert to .reg or .au3 script.

Included is a test reg file called use_this.reg. Has many values, including some very very hard ones courtesy of n7epsilon.

Saves it to wherever the original file was, no option there. Not much in way of error control either. It either works or not. It was what I needed at the time, and seems to work fine for me.

Here is the link

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f= ... 46953a6165

Maybe you can see how it works. It is a compiled autoit script, so you need nothing but xp to run it. Don't know about vista.

For those who are a bit skeptic of unknown .exe's (I am), run it in vm or sandboxie or something. It is what I would do.

Later.

MrWoo.

55ttt

Post by 55ttt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 am

Hey MrWoo,
I'm no expert, but this seems to work fine. Just drag file onto option.
Thank You!
Where does this name "SG-IRA" come from?

MrWoo

Post by MrWoo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:11 am

55ttt wrote:Hey MrWoo,
I'm no expert, but this seems to work fine. Just drag file onto option.
Thank You!
Where does this name "SG-IRA" come from?
Yes, simple drag and drop was enough for me at that time. The two grids that pop up are for you to see what it found, what values cannot be handled (currently only one type) and also to show you what are writes versus deletes. It makes the output file regardless of what the grids show.

SG-IRA. SG comes from a buddies wife who refers to me as 'Super Geek'. IRA comes from the program, Inf Reg Au3. If you are not familiar with AutoIt, you can use this program to make the script for you that will write or delete the reg or inf values. Handy if you have a goodly number of reg/inf items you want to include in your script.

late.

MrWoo.