How was my method of integration? Please Verify :)

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
cupper24

How was my method of integration? Please Verify :)

Post by cupper24 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:10 am

Hi,

I've been contemplating using this method, because I like to keep my gaming rig offline. I used the methods which were explained in the Integrator instructions:

-I inserted my XP CD - I have XP Media Center Ed. SP2 OEM

-I navigated to the I386 directory on the CD (D:\)

-It then asked me to navigate to the CMPNENTS directory, which I found in C:\.

-I chose to use the desktop as a destination folder.

-Finally, I chose the update pack and WGA add-on, and selected to optimize files.

I watched the Integrator do its thing, and saw that it spund the CD and my the LED was lighting up telling me it was hopefully integrating the update pack, etc. DIRECTLY to the CD.

I have 2 questions:

1) How can I verify before I go to re-install windows that the integration actually built itself into my XP CD?

2) The optional destination folder (which I chose as the desktop) simply stores the unedited files for back-up purposes right?

I hope I did everything correctly... Please advise if not.

I do apologize if this has been covered. I tried searching google and the forum before posting and did not find a related topic ;)

Thanks

cupper24

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:14 pm

Go here: http://integrator.siginetsoftware.com/index.php?manual and read the instructions and see if you did what you were supposed to. :D

cupper24

Post by cupper24 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:33 pm

ChiefZeke wrote:Go here: http://integrator.siginetsoftware.com/index.php?manual and read the instructions and see if you did what you were supposed to. :D
Thanks there Chief, but I did that as I went through the steps. :D Please read my q's again...

I would like to know if I can verify the success of the integration on the actual CD before I blow up my current installation of XP.

Thanks,

cupper24

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:53 pm

I can tell you this: The Integrator cannot burn CDs. Nor can an XP source disc be directly modified.

The destination folder is where your source was copied, and it is where the files were updated. You will need to create an ISO from the destination directory and burn that ISO for use on a live system.

You can test an ISO before burning it by using a virtual machine. You can try VirtualBox, VMware Server, or Microsoft Virtual PC. All are free.

cupper24

Post by cupper24 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:59 pm

5eraph wrote:I can tell you this: The Integrator cannot burn CDs. Nor can an XP source disc be directly modified.

The destination folder is where your source was copied, and it is where the files were updated. You will need to create an ISO from the destination directory and burn that ISO for use on a live system.

You can test an ISO before burning it by using a virtual machine. You can try VirtualBox, VMware Server, or Microsoft Virtual PC. All are free.
Thanks for the feedback.... Does the Make ISO tab work on the Integrator, yet? The instruction haven't been updated to indicate such. That's what I had figured all along, but the instructions basically ended after the integrator completed. I'm new to all this, so I thought maybe this integrator knew how to directly manipulate an install disk. From my perspective, that is what I gathered the first time I read through it, but it never quite made enough sense to me to believe it could actually be done, hence the questions. But, I appreciate the awe-inspiring clarity, bro.

cupper24

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 am

The Make ISO tab does work. You should only need to navigate to the folder where you'd like it created and provide a file name. The "Finished I386 Directory" space can be left blank; the Integrator will assume that the destination directory from the Main tab will be used.

Once the ISO file has been created you can test it with a virtual machine or burn it for use on a live system using a 3rd-party burning program like ImgBurn.

buletov

Post by buletov » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:22 am

You can download Microsoft Virtual PC and test your installation using that.
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.