Post XP SP2 or Post XP SP3

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
uffabrew

Post XP SP2 or Post XP SP3

Post by uffabrew » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Sorry for asking a "newbie" question, but I could use a little help before my students start making coasters. I have personally used Ryan's a long time ago with great success, but the post SP2 vs. SP3 is holding me/us up.

I have a "virgin" Windws XP Pro SP2 ISO and want to updated it to the latest and greatest. Which post update pack do I use, Post SP2 or Post SP3?

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:44 pm

OK integrate SP3 THEN use the post-SP3 pack!!!

uffabrew

Post by uffabrew » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks you for the quick reply and clarifying it! I will give it a shot, then have my students download SP3 from MS and get the Post- SP3 pack. :D

xpsunny

Post by xpsunny » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:44 am

uffabrew wrote:Thanks you for the quick reply and clarifying it! I will give it a shot, then have my students download SP3 from MS and get the Post- SP3 pack. :D
If you are a genuine windows xp owner, then you can get the SP2 integrated CD replaced by SP3 integrated CD for free!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:42 pm

HOW SO??!?!!?

MS is giving them out?

I have 6 retail licenses.

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:28 am

xpsunny wrote:If you are a genuine windows xp owner, then you can get the SP2 integrated CD replaced by SP3 integrated CD for free!
I sure would like to know where to go to do that.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 am

Normally for that to happen, you must own an "enterprise" license. Companies do, and therefore can get actual CDs with the latest service pack pre-integrated.

The closest to pre-integrated that the average consumer can get is to download the latest full service pack. Then the average consumer must integrate that with their own install CD.

On occasion, some OEMs will send out an updated "OEM" CD from which the OEM's customers can use on their computers. However, for this to happen, one must typically request the newer CD directly from the OEM.

Only one other way might exist to get the latest greatest already pre-integrated CD. That would be to download an updated ISO from MS technet. One must be a member of that first, second, I am sure there are conditions for which to download would even be possible.

If there are *any* other *average* consumer options to get an updated CD, then I am sure the rest of the world has not heard about them. The people in this forum are quite knowledgeable, and some even belong to those companies which own enterprise licenses. Therefore I would take the word of the elite members of this forum.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way