Hard Drive failure/recovery question | point me in right dir

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
ontheteam

Hard Drive failure/recovery question | point me in right dir

Post by ontheteam » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:20 am

Sorry, I should have posted this in a 'General' area. Would a Mod please move it for me?
-----------------------

I know this forum doesn't specialize in hardware, but I'd like to throw this out and see if anyone knows.

A woman brought me a broken PC with a clicking hard drive, which I assumed was an arm failure. I told her that such a failure is usually a total loss, and that I would likely NOT be able to recover the photos of her grandchildren, etc.

However, I assume that data CAN be recovered from this because there are companies that will provide this service (for a hefty fee).

I have opened the drive (it's an old WD Caviar 20GB) and of course it is nothing like the old Seagates I have lying around. Has anyone ever 'transplanted' platters from one drive enclosure to another? Or seen pictures of said operation?

I have Googled to no avail. Anyone know of a forum that might deal with this?
Aaron

*** Thank an addon maker (and every other integrator guru you run into).

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:37 am

This kind of "ckicking" is result of bad sectors in boot area, changing the plates not solve problems, bad sectors are in data area...
By time I have used 2 methods. Not 100% working but you can try ...
1. put one another hdd as primary, putting this drive as secondary ( this stop clicking one some motherboards (BIOS)),
then using Live CD or Live USB Drive and Ontrack EasyRecovery, maybe you will recover files.
2. another method used is to firstly use HDD regenerator floppy combined with changing drive order method described at point 1.
3. try to put it into external usb hdd enclosure (USB to IDE).

EDIT: You can use bootable cd HDD Regen ISO Image
Last edited by vmanda on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Being that I work on copiers for a living, I have seen hard drives that also exhibit this problem. Typically though, they are because of the board on the HDD going bad due to overheating. Not surprisingly, quite a few of the "older" copiers have those smaller 20gb WD HDDs.

If you can find a similar brand/model drive, try just changing out the boards of each of the hdds before taking the platters apart. Once you get to the "insides" of a HDD, it has the possibility of getting contaminated with dirt, etc.

Edit: As a side note I forgot to mention, if it was the board, you can typically "cool" the board (place it in a sealed bag in the freezer for a few minutes, make sure not to let condensation take over), and then have it operate fine for a few minutes before dying again. I have done that before and recovered items off of a hdd. Typically though, the best was to do that would be to have a IDE -> USB adapter to connect it "on the fly".
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

ontheteam

Post by ontheteam » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Hmmm, I've had the drive out the PC for a while now. When I connected it as a secondary drive per vmanda, it still makes a spin-up whirring sound followed by a click... continuously. The drive doesn't even register with the BIOS. I believe it is truly dead.

Having a IDE -> USB adapter would be a handy addition to my tools, though.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Aaron

*** Thank an addon maker (and every other integrator guru you run into).

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:47 pm

You can try freezing method used by crashfly, I have not used but many peoples claim that's working.
If hdd pas bios tests and system start, you have real chances to recover it.
Put hdd into one or two plastic bags, and put it into refrigerator for 1 hour.
After that conect it to ide and try again. If is only bad boot sectors, you can easy recover boot sectors by using hdd regenerator
( this tool is one NON destructive tool )
If hdd controller is bad you can try to change main electronic board with similar one.
One cheap external USB to IDE HDD enclosure (without hdd) cost in my country from 20 Euro, this is about 30 US dolars.
USB to IDE cannot be used with hdd regen, that's one dos application.

As software to use, you can try to download HIREN boot cd, having some useful tools.
One start point to find informations is HDDGURU.

OK, like I say, not working allways, but if you want to impress one girl ...