3 days trying, i'm ready for a little help!

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
michaeldcoates

3 days trying, i'm ready for a little help!

Post by michaeldcoates » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi all, i've read a lot of documentation about all this but there's more questions than answers.

I'm gonna go step by step as my first installation disc had a few errors - i basically added ryans post sp2 pack using nlite and there have been a few hiccups along the way. I am currently integrating ryans post sp2 pack and the wga addon into a fresh copy of my SP2 disc.

After this i plan to run through nlite to get rid of unessential windows processes off the cd and set a few tweaks but some things are bothering me, mainly that it still says SP2 on my install, am i ok to slipstream SP3 into my new post SP2 updated disc?

Unfortunately i have more questions about slipstreaming programs like .net 3.0 / ie7 / wmp11 but i don't know if that's possible.

Everyone here seems to know what they are doing, there are few idiots guides and by idiot i mean newbie because i'm not daft, i'm just a novice at this.

Please comment, i'd like to learn more but after 3 days of reading i'm only getting frustrated and i need a little help and guidance.

Thanks for reading
Michael x

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:32 pm

You should slipstream SP3 before doing anything else to your SP2 source. Then you should use the post-SP3 pack and WGA addon, if desired.

That should be enough information to get you started. :)

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:35 am

a lot of information can be overwhelming. i would not recommend you use nlite to tweak anything until you are finished with integrating post sp3 updates + addons.

everyone seems to know what they are doing probably b/c they went through a lot of trial and error lol
my first build took a few days to get right and a lot of mistakes/revisions to get things right

i'd suggest start off simple. get the basics down then when you are comfortable with that, move to more advanced things

michaeldcoates

Post by michaeldcoates » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:42 am

Thank you for replying, I really do appreciate the input!

Plan of action –

NLite – slipstream SP3 into my fresh copy of XP SP2.

Question – I have an AMD processor, Microsoft say I need to add a hotfix before adding SP3 to avoid unwanted crashes – can I slipstream this hotfix before SP3?

Ryanvm integrater - add post SP3 update pack / addon pack and WGN.

Nlite – remove a few programs and tweak the setup.

Question2 – I removed cdplayer and dvdplayer last time and on install at the start it warned me about this and I had to press escape three times before installation would begin, not a huge deal but it didn’t seem very good to me! Should I keep cdplayer and dvd player?

If I get this working well and have a fully up to date SP3 system on install I will be a very happy boy! I have a few more questions but they are all Nlite based like why if I remove movie maker (just one example of many) does it still give me an empty folder in my Program files that I can’t delete and have to hide to get rid of? Why does ticking the ‘Show small icons in startup bar’ box not make any difference and also why does the welcome to windows section of the install not become automated (having to press next on skip and things?

I honestly do not expect an answer on Nlite based questions here and merely put them in incase anyone reads it and wants to help but the first two questions above are bothering me and I wonder if you guys might know about them.

Thanks again for the replies guys, It’s nice to know people will help a newbie!
Michael x

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:40 am

i think nlite questions would be better asked over at their forum. theres a lot of knowledgeable people over there that can help you with that. but i can answer that empty folder issue. (i asked the same question long ago lol) i believe that it has to do with windows file protection. somewhere in nlite theres the option to disable it. if you have it 'on' (its on by default i think) then it wont allow you to delete certain folders that it creates during an install. i forget if you can delete it after your install or not. never really bothered me much.

also here is something that i do. i create a 'base' os. basically after i integrate the post sp3 updates i put that aside and create a duplicate copy. then any future addons or tweaks i do to the copy. that way if i mess something up, i can go back to the base, instead of having to start allllll over again from scratch. this has saved me lots of time in the past

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:54 am

michaeldcoates wrote:Question – I have an AMD processor, Microsoft say I need to add a hotfix before adding SP3 to avoid unwanted crashes – can I slipstream this hotfix before SP3?
I can't remember the KB number, but if I remember correctly that hotfix is only necessary when installing SP3 on a system where Windows XP SP2 is already installed and running. You don't need it, and you shouldn't slipstream it before slipstreaming SP3.

I don't know about your other questions. Hopefully others can offer you the help you need.

michaeldcoates

Post by michaeldcoates » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:13 am

You guys are ace! :)

New plan of action –

NLite – slipstream SP3 into my fresh copy of XP SP2.

Ryanvm integrater - add post SP3 update pack / addon pack and WGN.

Make of copy of my new SP3 source

Nlite – remove a few programs and tweak the setup.

I shall report back tonight with my findings.
Thanks again!

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:13 pm

You can use the RVM Integrator to slipstream SP3 - it is not obvious but if you go to the "File" menu you will see it as an option. You then get the choice to slipstream it as a stand alone operation or as part of an integration, either way works. Saves you using nLite to do that and you could slipstream SP3 and integrate the post SP3 update pack as one operation.