Questions concerning slipstream addons+other wonderings.

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
johnhc

Questions concerning slipstream addons+other wonderings.

Post by johnhc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:47 pm

I have done, what I think, is fairly extensive research on slipstream addons and have some questions. I hope, via poster's kindness, I can get some answers.
My first question is how do I keep this forum from timing out and erasing my input to a new thread (like just happened)?
I have DLed and extracted Sereby's IE8 RTM slipstream addon. I assume this type of addon will integrate IE8 into the Windows files on the CD and not execute the installer at T-13 or via SVCPACK. In his Entries file he has the following:

Code: Select all

[NeededComponents]
I cannot find a definition for this. What does it mean? Does this addon integrate KB968220? What are the values for the environmental variables %IE8UPDATES% and %HFREGPATH%, found in IE8.INF? How do I find the values? There is an IE8.cab but none in the original IE8 installer. Was it made just for convenience? How were the files selected?
Is a true addon the same as a slipstream addon?
I also DLed and extracted the XP x64 (what I am running) post SP2 update pack. I see no WoW folders even though most updates have them. I see many w***.exe and .dll files in the x64_I386 folder. Were they just gathered here?
If there is tutorial on slipstream addons, please direct me to it. Thanks much for any help you can offer. Enjoy, John.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:55 pm

i'm wondering if you have questions about his ie8 addon then why not make a post in Sereby's topic and ask him about it?

same with that xp64 addon pack.

i think to keep yourself from being timed out, select remember login and/or make your browser remember your login info. i've done that and never had any of my posts timed out

johnhc

Post by johnhc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:22 pm

ccl0, thanks for your reply. I wondered where I should post this and decided since I needed to ask several different kinds of questions, I should not post in a specific thread but a general one. If I do not get the specific answers concerning these, I will post in the appropriate threads.
I have checked the box in the login area and that seems to have corrected my timeout problem.
Thanks, John.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:26 pm

I can't say with certainty how Sereby or OnePiece create their IE8 addons. At least, not yet. I believe both include KB968220.

[NeededComponents] is specific to nLite 1.4.9.1 and defines which components nLite should prevent the user from removing. Please see nuhi's guide on entries.ini for more details.

Constants in INF files are called strings and always start and end with the percent sign ( % ). You can find the values of most strings in an INF by checking the [Strings] section, which is usually at the end of an INF file.

As you've already noticed in x64 update packs and addons, the x64_I386 folder has taken the place of the WoW folders you're looking for. This was nuhi's decision dating back to nfm's XP x64 SP1 update pack.

You'll find a list of basic tutorials on creating slipstream addons (also known as direct or "true" addons as they're sometimes called here) in the Update Pack Addons forum for x86 addons.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 pm

i was just thinking it might be better to have all related info in one topic. maybe others might come along and with similar questions but would be easier to find the answers in those addon topics

johnhc

Post by johnhc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:27 pm

5eraph, wow, a treasure chest of information! I completely missed the nuhi participation, but my intention is to use nLite as I have for some time. I will spend some time reading nuhi's instructions. I have read his nLite instructions several times, but I guess I skipped the Entries section since I was not interested in AddOns.
I started with the tutorials page and then concentrated on the Update Pack Addons Forum and still was unable to find instructions specific to Slipstream addons. I will look some more.
Thanks much, again 5eraph. Have fun, John.

ccl0, thanks also, I had also thought the same when I first posted. It is working well, so far. Enjoy, John.