A different way to slipstream and install

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
DjKilla

A different way to slipstream and install

Post by DjKilla » Sat May 16, 2009 10:10 pm

I've always slipstreamed using my store bought retail OS. Now I have a laptop which came with a restore OS but it contains all the extra useless apps and trial versions. Can I use the slipstreamed OS that I made with the store bought retail OS and install it on the laptop using the registration/product key that came with the laptop? Both my desktop and laptop is using XP Home Edition.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun May 17, 2009 12:11 am

It sounds like the laptop was bundled with an OEM setup disc. Your OEM key will not work with a Retail disc.

buletov

Post by buletov » Sun May 17, 2009 4:29 am

I would suggest downloading a clean OEM disc from the Internet.
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 am

buletov wrote:I would suggest downloading a clean OEM disc from the Internet.
That's not a good suggestion. It's borderline piracy. :(

It's possible to modify your retail/vlk CD into an OEM CD but that's not the preferred method. Click here for more details.

However, if your COA sticker on the outside of both machines clearly says "OEM" or "Royalty OEM", then you should be able to extract the legal license key and oembios.* files from the running system. Then you should ask the dealer you bought the systems from for a clean (unbranded) OEM XP disc that matches the version your COA sticker says (Home, Pro, etc.). The disc, NOT the license (you already have those).
You can use that disc, in conjunction with your legal license key with either mine or Siginets' OEMSCAN addon (link in signature) to activate your new XP build.
This is the M$ preferred LEGAL method to activate a Royalty SLP OEM system.

You can use your Retail license (can be activated ONLY ONCE), but why not use the OEM license you already paid for? :)
Last edited by mr_smartepants on Sun May 17, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sun May 17, 2009 5:40 am

Is not posible to use xp home key on retail xp, but you can choose to update you xp home sp2 to unattended xp home sp3, and to slipstream it.

Differences betwen Retail, Corporate, and OEM (Retail) versions are these files:
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
ACC_DIS.CH_
ACCESSIB.CH_
IESUPP.CH_
IEWEBHLP.CH_
SUPP_ED.CH_
OEMBIOS.DA_
DPCDLL.DL_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
OEMBIOS.SI_
EULA.TXT
Locate this files into your laptop/desktop, save into a safe place. Also can be very usefull to backup your entire system before to reinstall.
Save your serials, maybe serials are allready writted onto labels on computers backside.
Use any XP setup cd, and add these (OEM) files into i386 folder, replacing existing. Setup CD will be tranformed into yours version.
You can use now your cd key/xp version that you payed for.
Also you can find, on some OEM computers/desktops an i386 folder into windows dir,
you can use files from this folder to update/create an install cd. you may need and cmpnents\netfx\i386\netfx.cab, and you may add drivers to setup cd.
If you want to preserve your activation, read here

DjKilla

Post by DjKilla » Sun May 17, 2009 10:42 am

Ok, one cd is retail store bought XP Home Edition. The one that came with the laptop says 'Operating System - Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 - Contains software and drivers already installed. For software reinstallation and repair only.' The Certificate Of Authenticity on the laptop doesn't say OEM anywhere, not in the registration key. It's not on the installation cd that came with the laptop either but it does say 'For distribution only with a new HP or Compaq PC.'

vmanda - So I guess the only way, if I understand this correctly, is use my retail store bought XP, transfer the files in your last post from the laptop installation cd into my retail store bought i386 folder, slipstream everything else as normal and install using the laptop registration key, correct? This way I'll have a clean install without all the extra trial apps and other garbage HP installs on the laptop, correct?

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sun May 17, 2009 2:31 pm

Yes, that's the way.

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Thu May 21, 2009 10:10 am

Tip: Don't use the key on the sticker.
Use a Keyfinder to see the key used in your already installed windows - it's diferent. Please note it on some paper and use it when installing.
After installing, your windows will be already activated.

slobodan

Post by slobodan » Sun May 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Eiffel wrote:Tip: Don't use the key on the sticker.
Use a Keyfinder to see the key used in your already installed windows - it's diferent. Please note it on some paper and use it when installing.
After installing, your windows will be already activated.
Yes, this is important.You must use a factory key.
Do not use any key printed on a sticker.
Then you have to activate, and it defeats the whole purpose of making
the CD.
Your ProductId should be in the following format if you use the correct key,and i'm NOT posting the key itself:
XXXXX-OEM-0011903-00101 --- COMPAQ
XXXXX-OEM-0011903-00106 --- HEWLETT-PACKARD

Zosimos

Post by Zosimos » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:50 pm

OK, I have successfully copied the OEM SP2 version out of Windows\i386, applied SP3, and merged the post-SP3 update pack into it. It installed and accepted the original factory key which I recovered with the 'magic jellybean finder'. Looks like I have saved a license and can now use my retail key on one of my 'generic' beige boxes.

Next up: the laptop which is so old it was originally installed with SP1. Can I merge SP2 on that, and then SP3, and still get away with the post-SP3 update pack? Never tried to do a double update like that before.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:55 am

Zosimos wrote:OK, I have successfully copied the OEM SP2 version out of Windows\i386, applied SP3, and merged the post-SP3 update pack into it. It installed and accepted the original factory key which I recovered with the 'magic jellybean finder'. Looks like I have saved a license and can now use my retail key on one of my 'generic' beige boxes.

Next up: the laptop which is so old it was originally installed with SP1. Can I merge SP2 on that, and then SP3, and still get away with the post-SP3 update pack? Never tried to do a double update like that before.
just update to sp3.. dont bother with sp2 as its not needed (if i recall there was a discussion on this list about this very point)

then update with pack :)

TechnoHunter