Noob questions... just trying to learn

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Riffman81

Noob questions... just trying to learn

Post by Riffman81 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:49 am

I was just recently wishing there was a way to update my Windows XP Pro CD. It makes things much easier when doing a re-install of Windows. Then, after turning to my old friend Google... here I am. I know, kind of funny... seems I'm always the last one to learn about things everyone else has known about for years. However, since I'm here... and have learned about slipstreaming XP, I have a few questions.

1.) After I install an update pack (Currently using the onepiece post SP3 addon) what do I do when an updated update pack is released? Can I just slipstream that in over the old one... or do I start with a clean XP source?

2.) Do the integrators overwrite outdated files? Or just add the new files in with the ones that are already there?

And finally... and I'm sure to stir up a debate here, but what is the best update pack to use? The onepiece seems to be the one with the most in it. I'm just guessing it depends on tast, and what you need... correct?

Anyhow, thanks to anyone out there who can help me out. I'm sure these questions have been asked before by others new to this.
Opinions are like ass holes... everyone has one!

alur

Post by alur » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:52 am

1. It's generally best to start with a clean source. If you plan on updating your CD often it might be a good idea to write some batch scripts and avoid manually messing with the source files, so that you can rebuild it easier.

2. That depends on the addon you're integrating. The update packs will overwrite the older files however.
A sufficient amount of googling is indistinguishable from actual knowledge.

Riffman81

Post by Riffman81 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:59 am

alur wrote:1. It's generally best to start with a clean source. If you plan on updating your CD often it might be a good idea to write some batch scripts and avoid manually messing with the source files, so that you can rebuild it easier.

2. That depends on the addon you're integrating. The update packs will overwrite the older files however.
Thanks again for your help!

Riffman81

Post by Riffman81 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:24 pm

I've been using the onepiece update pack, everything seems fine but I have a few questions. Why is WMP 9 and IE6 still on my XP CD? They are not on the desktop, or in the program files after I install, but loading the CD and going to "install additional windows components" and i still see the old icons for these??

Let's say I decide to start over with a clean source. Can I move these with nlite before adding the update pack?

Seeing that the Ryan VM pack does not include IE 8 or WMP 11, I may go this route and just add those two things in seperatly... again... should I remove the older versions of these first? Or are those old files required to slipstream the new versions of WMP 11 and IE 8?

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:06 am

Riffman81 wrote: . should I remove the older versions of these first? Or are those old files required to slipstream the new versions of WMP 11 and IE 8?
if i were you i would ask the makers of the ie8 and wmp11 addon packs. they would know better than anyone else, since its their work

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Riffman81 wrote:I've been using the onepiece update pack, everything seems fine but I have a few questions. Why is WMP 9 and IE6 still on my XP CD?
They remain so you can roll back to those older versions later, should you choose to do so.
Riffman81 wrote:Let's say I decide to start over with a clean source. Can I move these with nlite before adding the update pack?
I would not recommend it. OnePiece and nonno fabio should have a more definitive answer for you regarding this.
Riffman81 wrote:Seeing that the Ryan VM pack does not include IE 8 or WMP 11, I may go this route and just add those two things in seperatly... again... should I remove the older versions of these first? Or are those old files required to slipstream the new versions of WMP 11 and IE 8?
If you remove them with nLite then nLite will remove the entries for those files in DOSNet.inf and TxtSetup.sif. The addons will not readd those entries and your installation will be broken. Don't do it.

Riffman81

Post by Riffman81 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:27 am

5eraph wrote:
Riffman81 wrote:I've been using the onepiece update pack, everything seems fine but I have a few questions. Why is WMP 9 and IE6 still on my XP CD?
They remain so you can roll back to those older versions later, should you choose to do so.
Riffman81 wrote:Let's say I decide to start over with a clean source. Can I move these with nlite before adding the update pack?
I would not recommend it. OnePiece and nonno fabio should have a more definitive answer for you regarding this.
Riffman81 wrote:Seeing that the Ryan VM pack does not include IE 8 or WMP 11, I may go this route and just add those two things in seperatly... again... should I remove the older versions of these first? Or are those old files required to slipstream the new versions of WMP 11 and IE 8?
If you remove them with nLite then nLite will remove the entries for those files in DOSNet.inf and TxtSetup.sif. The addons will not readd those entries and your installation will be broken. Don't do it.

Thanks for your help, sorry to be asking so many questions... all of this is new to me :D

Insane Lunatic

Post by Insane Lunatic » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:52 am

Here's another noob question:

I have an XP disk with SP2. I'm going to use the post SP2 update, but does that mean that I have to repatch again with the post SP3 update? Or does the Post SP2 have SP3 with all the updates?

I apologize if the answer is already in here somewhere, but I could not find it.

Thanks!

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:27 am

Your best bet in that case is to start with your SP2 disk, slipstream SP3, THEN integrate the post SP3 updatepack. In that scenario, you won't need the post-SP2 updatepack. :)
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

Insane Lunatic

Post by Insane Lunatic » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:01 pm

mr_smartepants wrote:Your best bet in that case is to start with your SP2 disk, slipstream SP3, THEN integrate the post SP3 updatepack. In that scenario, you won't need the post-SP2 updatepack. :)
Thanks! That makes perfect sense.

But why have a post SP2 pack? Is there any reason why anyone would not want SP3?

OK, Having trouble downloading SP3! Any suggestions?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 am

Yes there are reasons to not update to SP3. However, most of those reasons tend to be pointless this late in the game. The more meaningful reasons are compatibility with certain hardware that gets broken with SP3. It should not happen often, but people have reported it. If I remember correctly, it was some wireless driver or software, otherwise I do not remember much beyond that.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Insane Lunatic

Post by Insane Lunatic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Anybody know why I can't download SP3 from MS site?

Every time I click on the download button, all I get is an empty page!