So... xpize

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
W3bbo

So... xpize

Post by W3bbo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Some of you may know me as the current leader of xpize/Vize/Sevenize

They all use the same patching engine I wrote that automates the whole process (including x64 support). Crucially, my system also has its own I386/AMD64 patching support (I'm hesitant to call the process "slipstreaming", however).

I'm curious how I should get my software to work with RyanVM. Right now you can patch your CD images by running the xpize installer and choosing the "Patch I386" option, selecting the I386 directory, then pressing Install, it's all quite painless.

I don't have any experience with RyanVM so I'm not sure where I stand or even if I have to do anything.

So yeah.

(and the next and final release of xpize 5, with full x64 support should be out by this weeks' end in case anyone's interested).

alur

Post by alur » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:16 am

If xpize had command line parameters for the I386 patching you could always use the advanced settings and add it to the "Run Program After Integration" setting.

Personally I wrote myself a autoit script to patch my cd automatically since the command line parameters to do so allegedly vanished in some version.
A sufficient amount of googling is indistinguishable from actual knowledge.

jdub

Post by jdub » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:47 pm

So... you can or cant use xpise to patch an i386 folder?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:04 am

removed
Last edited by ENU_user on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:09 am

removed
Last edited by ENU_user on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

W3bbo

Post by W3bbo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:26 pm

jdub wrote:So... you can or cant use xpise to patch an i386 folder?
You can. Just copy your CD's files to a folder on your computer, choose the "CD Image Install" option during installation, then select that folder you copied your CD's files to, then click Install.
ENU_user wrote:its posible but xpize must first support silent commands parameters for an unattended install before its easy to customize anything that allows slipstreaming the patch Job to the source with just an addon.
I can't implement a non-attended mode for Anolis Installer because custom options for the resource tree cannot be expressed via a single line of text. Your best bet is to batch up a bunch of SendKeys commands.

jdub

Post by jdub » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:44 pm

I installed xpise on a fresh xp install and it delayed bootup by a good 15 seconds every time the system started. It would load that blue windows logo and hang for 10~ seconds then flash several times while what looked like dos boxes flashed in and out... then windows started normally. I could understand that on the first reboot, but not every single time. The friend whos computer I was building said he'd rather not deal with that every time, he liked having a 25 second bootup too much.

What was xpise doing on startup?

Is there a chance we'll see a version that doesn't include a bunch of themes but just focuses on updating outdated icon resources?

W3bbo

Post by W3bbo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:54 pm

The issue you've described is impossible: xpize doesn't add any command-line programs to any run-on-startup list, in fact it doesn't add anything (beyond TaskSwitchXP to the Startup program group), no-one else has described this issue before.

Also, during my testing on various systems there wasn't any delays in the system startup process after the first reboot (which itself only added ~5 seconds).

I'm not denying anything you're writing, but I don't believe it's attributable to xpize. Can you confirm it's xpize 5R6? Is there anything in your Event Logs?