Quick Suggestion (regarding QFECHECK)

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
a06

Quick Suggestion (regarding QFECHECK)

Post by a06 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:59 pm

So I know you list all changes that the current update pack makes (here), but I was wondering if you could, beginning with the next release (which looks to be a BIG one), release a list in addition to this one, of which hotfixes should appear in QFECHECK.

The reason I ask, is that in 1.0.5, QFECHECK doesn't report:
KB831240 - HighMAT CD Writing Wizard
KB887078 - Windows Media Player returns NS_E_INVALID_DATA error playing Fast Cached content 9.0.0.3250
KB873374 - Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool
KB890830 - Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

and out of all the upcoming hotfixes in 1.2, there will probably be more.

Going to Windows Update (and not seeing any hotfixes listed) can verify that the UpdatePack was applied successfully, but I like to check the QFECHECK as well, and when something isn't listed by QFECHECK, but is on your website changelog, I get nervous.
A list of which hotfixes SHOULD be in that QFECHECK list would be helpful.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:25 pm

Everything but those should appear :P

KB887078 doesn't appear because the WMP10 version of the hotfix (the one I use) creates a registry key under a different section than QFECheck checks when it creates its report. HighMAT isn't a hotfix and doesn't create the needed registry entries. Same for KB873374 and KB890830. Heck, those last two don't even copy any files to the hard drive. It's just a couple registry entries which tell WU that the said programs have already been run.

EDIT: One way you can check, the source code on my site (from 1.1 on) will have a comment right above the code for the big hotfix table which has the current number of hotfixes. That number will also be at the top of the INF file. Note that KB887078 is included in that number, so you'll want to subtract one from that number when you're comparing to QFECheck's output. I test by doing "qfecheck > qfe.txt" and then opening the text file and counting the rows. I find that easier than reading it off the screen.

a06

Post by a06 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:26 pm

great, thanks!