Post SP2 pack and Windows Update: very Newby

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
sigmat

Post SP2 pack and Windows Update: very Newby

Post by sigmat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:11 pm

I've used the latest RyanVM integrator (v1.6) and the Post-SP2 pack to update a WinXP Pro (SP2) CLEAN install disk. Once installed the Windows Online Update system wants to install the SP3 update KB936929, plus a lot of others. How can I tell what to ignore and what to install? Should I make an SP3 disk with NlIte first, then install Post-SP3??
This is not covered in FAQs, and other posts do not answer the question convincingly.

Thank You
Sigmat

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Better to slipstream sp3 into your disk, then integrate a post sp3 updatepack then maybe a ie8 and wmp10/11 addon

OH! and also a .net framework all in one addon too

sigmat

Post by sigmat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Still doesn't really answer the question. If I use nLite to slipstream the SP3 service pack (the .exe file) into a clean SP2 disk the resulting SP3 installation disk works correctly. WU does not try to re-install SP3 on this running system. If I use the RyanVM update pack (post SP2) to create a running up-to-date system, WU still tries to install very old patches, including SP3. What is the purpose of installing the RyanVM updates? Seems these are only useful on a machine NOT connected to the net, or with WU turned off.
Sigmat

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:46 pm

You are kindof answering your own question here...

Lets think:

You make a SP2 disk and add updates... (SP2 is PRETTY OLD)
It then tells you to update to SP3... Yet you wonder why?

Ryans packs for SP2 have NOT been updated for a VERY long time for one simple reason:

SP3 WAS RELEASED!

Nowhere in Ryans release notes does it say it includes SP3....

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:56 pm

It should be mentioned that Ryan no longer maintains his update packs, and nobody has taken up the post-SP2 update pack to maintain in his stead. The post-SP2 update pack should not be used. Other post-SP3 update packs are available by other members which include the most recent updates.

To use a post-SP3 update pack, you must first slipstream SP3 into a clean, unaltered source; or use a source which already includes SP3. Both the RyanVM Integrator and nLite can slipstream SP3 for you.
sigmat wrote:What is the purpose of installing the RyanVM updates? Seems these are only useful on a machine NOT connected to the net, or with WU turned off.
Ryan explains the advantages of slipstreaming updates on his update pack download pages. The points you mention are not the only advantages to this method.

sigmat

Post by sigmat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:31 am

>It then tells you to update to SP3... Yet you wonder why?

Read my post carefullyand then read the info available to me on this web site, before you get sarcastic. I judge the quality of software by the quality of the forums that discuss the software!!!
Sigmat

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:43 am

It's not sarcasm.

It's the expectation of common cents.

A post SP2 pack is just that a POST SP2 pack.

NOT a post SP3 pack.

A simple search of the forums, even easier still a minor glance at the other forum sections would tell you there are several post SP3 packs. (You state "other posts" which leads us to believe you read elsewhere in the forum)

Common cents would then lead you to the fact that a podt SP2 pack would be, well simply stated WAY to damned old to even bother with...

The very first post in this sticky section shows where to go for updated packs.

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7923

Also the RyanV< packs have been stagnant for OVER A YEAR!!! The date on the main RVM page reflects this.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:36 am

sigmat wrote:Read my post carefully
No, you read our posts carefully...the answers are there but your just too thick to realize it