About piracy, Everyone please read!

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
ar_seven_am

About piracy, Everyone please read!

Post by ar_seven_am » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:21 am

Can we lock our resource such as updatepack/addons for member only? It's really annoyin when i see some pirate cd/dvd windows use our resource here, especially warez site, i've seen xp dvd use ryanvm update pack n other addons from all of u guys! I thought we dont use our updatepack/addons for pirate cd, so how cant warez use that? Have warez donate our forums so they can freely distribute our resource?

Please reply, we've been share our mind n idea here, I can't imagine it used for piracy even I know we're distribute this freely!!!
Life's short, dont waste ur time for war! PEACE IS NOW!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:47 am

A couple problems with the free exchange of information are that we don't really get to choose who can make use of it, or how it is used. If we stop to think about how to restrict the information it becomes obvious that there is currently no easy way to filter those with "bad" intentions from everybody else.

We can try to make the obvious distinctions in the maturity levels of those who post. But not everybody posts. And not all people that do post display bad manners when posting. I can even go so far as to say that some people with nothing but good intentions have bad outbursts—I've encountered more than a few online, myself included.

As most seem to be aware, we have a Members' section. I believe Ryan originally intended it as a place to share beta versions of his update packs as well as to semi-privately discuss certain forum happenings among other members. As the membership grew it became necessary to increasingly limit the beta leaks to prevent bug reports coming from those who don't know how to submit a proper report, and to keep the worst bugs from finding their way out onto the 'net before we can fix them.

But having sections with restricted access doesn't necessarily solve these kinds of problems. Anybody can sign up to become a member here; therefore, the existence of members' sections won't keep most of the bad people out of them. Having money doesn't imply that a person has good intentions, so making this a pay site would not work as a filter. Administrators could create special groups of trusted individuals with whom to share resources, but even these kinds of groups aren't perfect. What criteria should be used to make such choices? And how exclusive should such groups be if we want to help everybody?

Although contributors here seem to be generous enough to share their work as they have without reservation, we can choose how we help those who use our work if they have difficulty. We are not held at gunpoint and forced to help ill-mannered idiots, after all. We can discourage pirating by stating that we will not help those who use pirated software and following through with that statement. However, this does not prevent us from helping people who are smart enough to not say that they do so.

It may be possible with current forum software to include a terms of use agreement that must be accepted when becoming a member or during log in. But who really reads the fine print in all but the simplest of agreements? I haven't unless there was money at stake. And the agreement itself will not keep anybody out if they just want to click through it.

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:20 am

restriction is not a solution. a school is ment to be and remain a school, never a jail. A training place has sharing as a high standard.. what people do with resources and infos and whatever is what people should respond for themselves, according to their deeds. :D . I think that this place it is so beautiful because it is open... what use it is to limit the access between a few ones, this method of filtering it affects the productivity itself besides of not acomplishing it's purpose at all... futile. 8)

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:22 am

Very well spoken 5eraph.
I only have a single addon that I distribute, but I released the source code under the Creative Commons, Attribution license.
Here's the snipet from my post:
I'm releasing this code under the Creative Commons license with the understanding that it will NOT be used for warez or other illegal purposes.
IF you pirates out there decide to use my tools to distribute your warez, please do me the courtesy of removing my name from the code. I do NOT want to be associated with warez.

To quote Linus Torvalds: "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow".
The problem is that once a project is released, we have very little control on HOW it is used. Implementing controls on the ACCESS of our projects only restricts legitimate users.
These same arguments can be made on gun-control, but that is a completely separate issue. :rolleyes:
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:57 am

exactly, as an example, the fact that MS sells Windows does not consequently mean that the end user will use it only for achieving good, moral results..
You can advise, but cannot establish, predefine a hursh line there... the better a tool is made the better it's efficiency whether good or bad, it's up to the individuality... and the punishment or the reward, too

eksasol

Post by eksasol » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 am

I sympathize with the concern. I even get person with 0 post count pm'ing me asking to send them stuff. There are only 7.5 thousands members here and I'm guessing only a small percentage of those are active so if you closed off to the members it would be a small world. Then you may get negative impact of many users needing to sign up to download, but are not guarantee to contribute back either.

My personal idea is if you want to deter the interests of "piraters", simply embrace open source. Unfortunately, this does not really apply the Windows updates addons, more relevant with silent installers, sometimes I throw in an open source app and/or one that originated from linux. I am not imposing anyone on this idea though. Simply when the piraters find the unfamiliar open source apps, which is different from the usual dumped down sharewares or "basic free apps from corporates to promote their actual retail apps", they will realize they would need to learn the software and do things for themselves. Worse can happen is they ended up downloading the open source app thinking it's "full warez" and benefiting from it, even if only for practical reasons.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:32 am

I do not think limiting this site will help any with pirating. The reasoning behind it is simple. Once one person downloads anything, it will technically be "out in the open". That one person can take and redistribute elsewhere.

A good idea is to refuse to help those who mention the use of pirated software, then inform them of this site's terms of usage.

As for limiting actual pirated CDs & DVD warez, the only thing that can be done at this time is to notify the website owner (if possible) of the illegal content and then move on. Either the website is reputable and will remove it, or the site does not care and could possibly get shut down. Outside of those actions, one just simply needs to provide good information to get everyone well informed.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:05 am

5eraph wrote:who really reads the fine print in all but the simplest of agreements?
Apparently, only 12% actually read such terms according to the following article:
Joe Martin wrote:The "Immortal Soul Clause" was added as part of an attempt to highlight how few customers read the terms and conditions of an online sale.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:44 pm

5eraph wrote:A couple problems with the free exchange of information are that we don't really get to choose who can make use of it, or how it is used. If we stop to think about how to restrict the information it becomes obvious that there is currently no easy way to filter those with "bad" intentions from everybody else.

We can try to make the obvious distinctions in the maturity levels of those who post. But not everybody posts. And not all people that do post display bad manners when posting. I can even go so far as to say that some people with nothing but good intentions have bad outbursts�I've encountered more than a few online, myself included.

As most seem to be aware, we have a Members' section. I believe Ryan originally intended it as a place to share beta versions of his update packs as well as to semi-privately discuss certain forum happenings among other members. As the membership grew it became necessary to increasingly limit the beta leaks to prevent bug reports coming from those who don't know how to submit a proper report, and to keep the worst bugs from finding their way out onto the 'net before we can fix them.

But having sections with restricted access doesn't necessarily solve these kinds of problems. Anybody can sign up to become a member here; therefore, the existence of members' sections won't keep most of the bad people out of them. Having money doesn't imply that a person has good intentions, so making this a pay site would not work as a filter. Administrators could create special groups of trusted individuals with whom to share resources, but even these kinds of groups aren't perfect. What criteria should be used to make such choices? And how exclusive should such groups be if we want to help everybody?

Although contributors here seem to be generous enough to share their work as they have without reservation, we can choose how we help those who use our work if they have difficulty. We are not held at gunpoint and forced to help ill-mannered idiots, after all. We can discourage pirating by stating that we will not help those who use pirated software and following through with that statement. However, this does not prevent us from helping people who are smart enough to not say that they do so.

It may be possible with current forum software to include a terms of use agreement that must be accepted when becoming a member or during log in. But who really reads the fine print in all but the simplest of agreements? I haven't unless there was money at stake. And the agreement itself will not keep anybody out if they just want to click through it.
5eraph you are right ,A play ground cannot be a army training centre.
All freinds , I am Asian here 98% of home user using pirated software.
Why people do piracy that is biggest question?
All reason::
*peoples are not having enouf money , In India a driver earn Rs 5000 where windows xp costS Rs 12000 then
please tell me does a person will stop eating/take care of family or buy a legit copy of os.
*Availity of software.(most of software are not supplied here)
*Here a shool teacher earn Rs24000 where photoshop cost more than that.

Some pirates using their own licensed vlk keys on which they have full right to use as many copy as they want.Few year ago my friends licensed copy showed as counterfited by WGA ,so WGA also asking people to be pirate,please tell me Genuine became pirated where my GF two year ago running a pirated one shown it as genuine (I have replaced her pirated xp with genuine one)
Think about it ,Every Asian not having much money to buy legit os.
Here ,In my village when was small ,I have seen a xp mce copy is there in my uncle shop where that copy is ling now also .(2003 to 15)
I think that software company should reduce their price.
I am proudly a legit software user.

mooms

Post by mooms » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:57 am

Or you can use Free & Open Source softwares !
I heard good things about Linux Mint.
Alteration of the world
Want to thank me ? If you buy something on Banggood with this link, I will earn a little %.

Kurt_Aust

Post by Kurt_Aust » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:52 pm

mooms wrote:I heard good things about Linux Mint.
It's pretty good, the main thing that stops me using it is that Ubuntu and derived distributions suck at RAID support.

Also as they are still based off the 14.4 LTS release, their kernel lags, so newer hardware might not be supported, it doesn't recognise the RAID 1 array on my X99 board for instance while the latest version of Fedora does.

But by all means try it, if your hardware is fairly mainstream and a couple of years old you should have no problems.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:54 am

Kurt_Aust wrote:
It's pretty good, the main thing that stops me using it is that Ubuntu and derived distributions suck at RAID support.

Also as they are still based off the 14.4 LTS release, their kernel lags, so newer hardware might not be supported, it doesn't recognise the RAID 1 array on my X99 board for instance while the latest version of Fedora does.

But by all means try it, if your hardware is fairly mainstream and a couple of years old you should have no problems.
\
Hi ,15.10LTS of ubuntu work fine on X99

mooms

Post by mooms » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:39 am

Kurt_Aust wrote:

Thanks !
i5 2500K with P67, it should works just fine !
Alteration of the world
Want to thank me ? If you buy something on Banggood with this link, I will earn a little %.

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Re: About piracy, Everyone please read!

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:10 am

Warez? wtf? :shock:

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:32 am

Deleted. :)

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:10 am