Planning for possible future CAT limitations?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Fencer128

Planning for possible future CAT limitations?

Post by Fencer128 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:38 am

Hi,

I guess this question is mainly aimed at Ryan, I was just wondering if there's been any kind of structured thought process on how many non-public post SP2 hotfixes are to be included into future update packs?

The reason I mention this is because obviously there is the CAT file limit to contend with - and as a user who benefits from using RVM packs in a corporate environment - my #1 concern is if there's much of a possibility of the Update Pack getting back up to 150 CAT files before SP3 is released.

I understand that this concern may not be too applicable as Ryan may decide that his pack is not going to be so structured, and mainly aim it at consumer end users who can afford to rebuild their regularly should the CAT file limit once again be reached. However, I personally think that to make this assumption would lead to a missed opportunity for those us who may choose to use RVM packs in a non-mission critical (but still important) corporate (I should say educational to be specific) environment.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Thanks,

Andy
Last edited by Fencer128 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RISult a utility to integrate RyanVM Updates and/or BTS DriverPacks into your RIS image.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:17 am

I'm acutely aware of the problem and will be actively avoiding it.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Fencer128

Post by Fencer128 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:58 am

Thanks Ryan. Just needed to check ;)

Andy
RISult a utility to integrate RyanVM Updates and/or BTS DriverPacks into your RIS image.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:04 pm

As long as we do not include many of the private hotfixes we should be just fine.

SP3 should be released before we run into a problem like that ever again.

But if the issue ever arose we would have to disable wfp. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:21 pm

I'm trying to limit what new hotfixes I'll accept at this point. For the most part, I won't accept a request-only hotfix unless it's directly superceding other hotfixes already included so that the net change in CAT files is 0 or negative. Unfortunately, MS seems to enjoy dashing my plans with all their new public hotfixes which update new files.

I'm still hoping they'll do some kind of update rollup within the next 6 months or so.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:38 pm

My guess would be a "Security Rollup" much like what happened to 2000, especially since the vast majority seem to be security related anyway. Can you imagine someone who installs SP2 and then first time Automatic Updates needs to do an install? Must take like a day or something.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:12 pm

There's over 50MB of updates to install on a vanilla XPSP2 install. That's why I don't feel bad about the update pack being in the mid-30MBs
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:22 am

I'm sure MS will solve this problem because if public hotfixes themselves ever reach the 150 cat limit, they'll be bombarded so much... An Update Rollup is probably in the works.