Overwhelming!

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Hollywood

Overwhelming!

Post by Hollywood » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:50 am

Since the changes in how the pack works, and with all the new add-on packs, I find it very difficult to know what to install. I'm a geek, I even workied in technical support for Microsoft and ran networks for many large firms, and I still can't keep up with the overwhelming number of options.

I'd really like to see a "standard" concensus pack of add-ons vs. the many variants.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:26 am

Here is what I do:

* Take Windows XP Professional SP0
* Integrate SP2 manually

Use RyanVM Integrator 1.0.5 to integrate update pack:

* RyanVM Update Pack 2.0.1

and addons:

* RyanVM Update Pack Syssetup Addon 1.0
* WGA Tool 1.4.389.0 (Patched version. Original one will be included in Ryan's next Update Pack.)
* RyanVM Update Pack WMP10 Addon 2.0
* Windows Media Connect 2.0 (Will be included in Ryan's next WMP10 Addon.)
* HighMAT 1.0
* I made a request for "Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520)" will be in included in Ryan's next Update Pack.

Then, manually integrate:

* XPize 4.1 MCE

Then I use nLite for some unattented stuff, the SFC, uxtheme and TCP/IP patches and finally I create an ISO with it, which I burn and test/install.

-----

So basically, Windows XP + SP2 + Post-SP2 + XPize + some essential patches. XPize is just because XP contains those ugly Windows 98 (95?) icons for a lot of things. Those addons are the only ones which show up at Microsoft Update after a fresh install, I hate to have updates after a fresh install (besides .NET 1.1/2.0).
Last edited by ViVa on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:53 pm

Thnaks for the tips. My questions:

1) Didn't Ryan take a lot OUT of the new 2.x versions of the pack? Not just the "non-essentials" from Microsoft but also the little things like the updated calculator and such?

2) Why not do all the integration with nLite? WHat's the advantage of using both inegrators?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:33 pm

1) Yes he took out some non-official post-sp2 updates, since they were likely to cause more problems than solve, since they aren't tested enough. The updated calculator and such is in a seperate addon, so people can choose wether they want to have it or not. You can find it here.

2) I personally choose to integrate with the RyanVM Integrator since it's more up-to-date than nLite's built-in integrator, and therefore contains fewer bugs. But you could integrate it with nLite as well, yes.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 pm

nuhi i think is soon releasing a new nlite for .net 2.0 when that is released im pretty sure the integrating feature of it will be updated as well.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:09 pm

Of course it will be updated, but a new version of Ryan's Update Pack will follow as well after that... If you want things to be as good as it gets, I think you should integrate with RyanVM Integrator, since that's constantly maintained.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:26 pm

i always use rvm integrator for the update pack, and for addons, then after words i nlite the installs with certain tweaks.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:33 pm

Is that your reaction to my previous post or ... ? A bit strange reaction, it comes out of nowhere.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:29 pm

ViVa wrote:1) Yes he took out some non-official post-sp2 updates, since they were likely to cause more problems than solve, since they aren't tested enough. The updated calculator and such is in a seperate addon, so people can choose wether they want to have it or not. You can find it here.
Thansk for the answers. I guess my frustration is that before it was a very easy nice little bundle. Now I feel like I'm missing the stuff that he took out (though I understand what you said) and I'm also frustrated in that I don't know enough about all the cool little add-ons, don't have time to research them all, and am concerned that as many of them are posted by people unknown to me I wonder if they're safe?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:59 pm

I still make an addon pack which contains all of the stuff which used to be in the update pack
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:22 am

Well there ya go, I think you can trust Ryan. ;)

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:16 pm

I'd venture to say that the vast majority of them are "safe", as I wouldn't expect someone to stay around here long that was infecting other peoples computers with viruses or other nasty little hacked files. Sure there are "hacked" files on here but those are to circumvent unneccessary nonsence that Microsoft invented to hassle it's users, but you're not required to use any of them.

Now if you're referring to the software itself, such as 3D Windows Screen Saver, DirectX control panel, etc. Then I don't know what to tell you, you'd have to go and decide if that's what you're looking for a peice of software to do or not.

The vast majority of the software here is freeware versions. You can take that to mean that you're not required to pay for them, but the people who made them would like for you to donate to them, much like RyanVM does with his packs. With the outrageous costs of a lot of software out there, and a lot of that software containing a lot of bloatware with it, these freeware's I'm talking about are usually, for the most part, slimmed down versions of a major piece of software or an update to it, such as the case with NotePad++ for example. There are a lot of software out there that are freeware which are excellent replacement software for the bigger more expensive named brands of the same thing, and a lot of it is featured here. Of course too a lot of it is also in "beta" as well, but that can mean a lot of different things, like nLite, which, last I checked anyways, was still "beta" but it was working software too. Then you have software like OpenOffice which is an excellent substitute for Microsoft Office, especially if you're not able to shell out $300+ for the Microsoft version. Another good alternative is using AVG Free Antivirus over Norton, unless you're using it in a corporate situtation.

It would behove you to pick up a couple of magazines and read them in your spare time, one good source is MaximumPC, which will help you out in understanding what a lot of the "alternative" software is and does, as well as let you know how "good" it is. I'm sure if you asked someone what thier software does and it's not posted already in their thread, that they'd oblige you in explaining it somewhat anyways.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

thuun

Post by thuun » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:01 pm

@Hollywood
I know what you mean, but in a short, short time you should discover you've happened upon a wonderfull resource,

..this is why a halt was put on the expansion of the 1st 'addons' page which gave way to an even greater number of options,.

And oh. that red box w/the X turns it off. :wink: :P :shock:

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:45 am

I don't really find it overwhelming...Just a sort of hassle. Now that the last Hell Day of the year is over(next one Jan 10...:)), I can get back to work by finding uber new hax to add to my Windows distros. :P Overwhelming is when you're me and you go about everything manually or you're some d00der trying to build addons and you're testing the addon and editing some code accordingly. As much as I love looking at the same setup code and method that has been present since Windows 3.11, I just make necessary changes and I'm done with it. Even though we're mostly crazy about keeping our Windows operating systems up to date, we just want things to work. If there's anything overwhelming it's that accomplishment alone.
Do you have stairs in your house?