WPI and Office11

Discuss & post all WPI addons to the RyanVM Update Pack here. This forum is no longer active and is displayed for reference only.
voc

WPI and Office11

Post by voc » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:58 pm

(I'm still new to WPI, fyi)

I was wondering if anyone tried to create a WPI addon of Office 2003. I created an .mst hoping I won't need any user interaction. However, I'm not too sure how to use the flags in my .js file since I need to target the .mst I created. I tried something like

cmd1[pn]=['%wpipath%\\Install\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=wxp.mst /qb-'];

where wxp.mst is actually in the cab file. This didn't work (I figure it wouldn't.)

Also, does WPI work on installs that have multiple files (e.g. Larger programs like Office not only has setup.exe, PRO11.msi on the CD but references a bunch of other files too... do I have to package all this into a single msi and have WPI call that?)

Thanks!

toyotabedzrock

Post by toyotabedzrock » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:04 pm

You might be better off compressing the entire office install with 7z as a switchless installer.

voc

Post by voc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:06 pm

By chance could you point to the right direction on how I could go on to do that? Thanks!

edit: Sorry, I just saw the Switchless Installer forum. I'll check that out.

edit/update: Okay, I created the switchless installer and I tested it on a clean WinXP installation. Office installs just fine with all of my settings. Great, now I figure I could make a WPI of it. I went ahead and followed how to make a WPI (I also created my own WPI of FileZilla just to make sure the WPI creation method I'm using does work).

When I installed Windows and the WPI comes up, I see Office 2003 installing, but around 80% into the install (a progress bar does pop up), the progress bar rolls back and then Windows finishes the installation. No error messages or anything. Upon booting up for the first time, Office definitly is not installed.

So a couple of questions. Does WPI keep a install log file somewhere so I can see what went wrong? Has anyone integrated Office 2003 in their Windows XP installation using switchless then WPI?

Thanks!

update: My bad. I found the WPI_log file.txt and it did say that the install was successful (returned 0). My guess is that the WPI is working as intended. I'll see if there was something wrong with the switchless (maybe it doesn't play well in a Windows install?)

froy11

hay voc - have you find the way to install office 2003

Post by froy11 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:17 am

hay voc - have you find the way to install office 2003

tnks

voc

Post by voc » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:59 am

I'm close to giving up :(

I did create a proper .mst which I could load into setup.

I did create a proper switchless installer (tested that).

I did create a proper WPI (I'm sure of it because I created another WPI with a smaller program and that works and the settings are identical).

Even though the WPI log did say Office 2003 was a successful install, it's not installed.

When viewing the actual Office 2003 install during WPI, you can see it extracting (7-zip) then it installing (the msi) but when it gets close to 80% or so, the progress bar rolls back and the install fails. This is where I gotta find the log files for the actual install during the WPI and not just the WPI log files.

But yeah, still nothing :(

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:29 pm

In my trials with an unattended Office 2003 install it never worked from SVCPACK. I'd get that same situation with the progress bar rolling back.

Have you tried running WPI at RunOnce to see if Office installs then?

voc

Post by voc » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:50 pm

I just tried it with RunOnce. It still rolls back.

ZenLord

Post by ZenLord » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:45 am

I tried to install MS Office automatically also, 7zipped with MST and all that (no WPI tho), and the problem is you can only use the switchless installer on an exact system as the one you created the installer on.

Using the installer on a slightly different system always displayed the same 'installation succesfull' but never installed anything (could be the same 'rolling back the installation', but since I always used the option to not display anything, including progress, I never saw it happening...)

The solution is to use your install cd on a virtual machine and make the switchless installer in that same virtual machine, then add the installer to your iso and make it install before anything else (or after you have installed anything that you also installed prior to the Office install in the VM). Comprende? ;)

Zl.

MyStur

Post by MyStur » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:52 am

what is with office 2k7
had anione do that