nLite & RVMi disks don't include all folders found in th

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
rvm999

nLite & RVMi disks don't include all folders found in the MS source: wh

Post by rvm999 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Keep in mind that this is a question, not a criticism.

Since I've been thinking about "missing files," I mounted the ISO of my MS source, and noticed for the first time that it contains several folders that are not included in an RVM Integrator disk: DOCS, DOTNETFX, SUPPORT, VALUEADD. I also checked an nLite build, and they also only include the i386 folder.

It seems plausible to me that the MS source files list could request files from these locations. I'm thinking not specifically about the files that led to my errors, but any included files that might lead to other errors, other times, if they are not found on the install disk.

Even in the case of a clean install using the built disk, it seems like it would be safer, and more complete, to provide a more MS-like experience by including all the files from the original source.

So, circling back to my original thought, why are these left out by design?

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:41 pm

They are useless

dotnetfx only useful/installs if you are using xp tablet pc, support folder only useful if you are sysprepping

The rest, you only need to look in them and you will see why they are of no use

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:12 pm

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 050#106050
Kelsenellenelvian wrote:You are supposed to MANUALLY remove the extra, unnecessary folders from it....

DOCS
DOTNETFX
SUPPORT
VALUEADD
I386\Lang

This frees up 159 megs. Wish to manually save more?

WIN9XUPG
WIN9XMIG

This frees up another 36.6 megs. All together that saves you @ 200 megs...
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 079#106079
Kelsenellenelvian wrote:"WINNTUPG" <-- I would keep this one as it is used of you ever do an upgrade\repair style installation over XP...

"COMPDATA" <-- Some say you can let this one go. I never have tried without it.
Ciao.
Image Image Image

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 am

Those folders are left out by design to save space, rvm999. MSFN's Unattendeed Windows guide has more information. If you'd like to keep them, you can always leave the "Destination" field of RVMi blank. Just be sure to make your own backup copy of the source files; RVMi won't do it for you with that field empty.

rvm999

RE: nLite & RVMi disks don't include all folders found in the MS source

Post by rvm999 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 pm

ricktendo64 wrote:dotnetfx only useful/installs if you are using xp tablet pc, support folder only useful if you are sysprepping
Thanks for letting me know when the content of these two folders is used.

rvm999

nLite & RVMi disks don't include all folders found in the MS source

Post by rvm999 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the references. Omission does save quite a bit of space.

rvm999

nLite & RVMi disks don't include all folders found in the MS source

Post by rvm999 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:09 pm

5eraph wrote:MSFN's Unattendeed Windows guide has more information. If you'd like to keep them, you can always leave the "Destination" field of RVMi blank.
Thanks for the suggestion about how to retain all the folders in a build. From your reply, and the others, it doesn't look like there will be many situations when keeping the MS folders would be useful, but knowing how to keep all folders will be very useful if I use my Dell XP disk as a source. It is a full MS install disk, plus some other content specific to their original installation that could be important in repairing my installation.

ELiTE

Re: nLite & RVMi disks don't include all folders found in the MS source

Post by ELiTE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:20 pm

rvm999 wrote: It is a full MS install disk, plus some other content specific to their original installation that could be important in repairing my installation.
Best advice: Toss the Dell XP disk. I bought a $1600 HP laptop a few years ago. Loaded with HP specific crap.

Solution: Took my Win7 Ultimate Retail disk, dropped it in, DELETED all the hard drive partitions then installed.

Result: Over 3 years of PROBLEM free and no HP BS Windows 7 x64 updates (HP drivers too) and operation. Will work out just fine with an XP machine also.

Yup. It's the only way to fly..............Ya just don't know what ELSE is on those Vendor specific disks that they don't want you to know about...... 8)
By downloading an ELiTE Switchless Installer Addon you, the End User, agree to abide by any Terms of Use prescribed by the Freeware App contained within.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Couldn't agree more!
Been there, done that. You are ALWAYS better off with your own Retail O/S!

I bought my last computer at Staples.
All it came with was a partition that it installs from.

We had Microsoft on the phone right from the Staples customer service desk, I was NOT leaving that store without a legal RETAIL DISK instead of the bloatware "oem" or install partition.

Staples formatted the hard drive before I could leave the store with it AND my RETAIL O/S - but that just saved me the time from having to do that step.