What is available here?

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
ThomasW

What is available here?

Post by ThomasW » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello,

I currently have a number of computers running Windows XP that I would like to update.
I've been frantically trying to build a computer this year so that I would have XP installed before doomsday (April 8th). Although I had searched for some solution to installing XP after that date, I didn't find any until I had it all ordered.
I've been following Harkaz's Service Pack 4 project since I discovered it in March, and it's amazing, but I wonder if it's really the best for my purposes.

I now have XP installed on all of my computers, so I don't need to make installation media or anything, and I know SP4 can be installed on a live system, but
  1. I now see there are other projects here with a similar purpose, but I don't understand what the real differences are between them. Can they all be installed on live systems?
  2. I want to continue getting updates (from POSReady 2009 of course), but would the simple registry tweak be enough for my purposes, or are one of the projects here better?
  3. I know some of them include hotfixes that I'm guessing Microsoft wouldn't normally push to all users. Would the extra hotfixes in these packs be beneficial for the average user?
It would be nice if there were a sticky on the forum explaining this, but the one currently there hasn't been updated since 2006, so I think it could use an update.

P.S.
The theme of this Web site changed as I wrote this.
I like the old black theme better personally. It's not common to have a black, or even dark background, but it's much easier on the eyes!
It'd be nice if there was an option to change it back, at least for registered members.

Thanks,
Thomas :)
Last edited by ThomasW on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:55 am

1. The only project here that will install on a live system is SP4 by harkaz. The update packs by user_hidden and OnePiece cannot, and must be applied to new installation media.

2. You haven't specified what your purposes are. ;)

3. All projects here include request-only hotfixes that were not pushed through Automatic Updates or the Microsoft/Windows Update website; including mine. "Average user" can be difficult to define. Speaking for myself, I include them with the hope that they will be useful to somebody. Most are bug fixes that don't directly impact security. I consider them to be beneficial to most.

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:44 pm

There is also XP UpdatePack by Manuel Hoefs if you want an excellent Post SP3 security update pack for a live system.

http://www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_pack.php?lang=en
In this UpdatePack all relevant updates are included, which are provided from Microsoft after the Service Pack 3. There are also many optional update integrated, which are not provided with the automatic Microsoft Update. This Pack provides updates only for the existing programs after a fresh installation. Also the latest version of Internet Explorer and Media Player is supported.
During the installation you have the full control of the updates which will be installed.
Functions
all Windows update can be installed with one pack
complete choice of updates to be installed
check during installation whether an update is still installed or compatible

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I hadn't seen that German one by Manuel Hoefs before, but that also looks interesting. Still confused about which would be best.
So it seems my three options are:
  1. Harkaz's SP4
  2. Mr. Hoefs' Update Pack
  3. POSReady 2009 Registry Tweak
I didn't really explain myself I suppose!
The computers I am updating are "all-purpose machines".
I don't know how to categorize myself better. Should I list the programs I use or something?

The only unusual thing that could affect updating is that I use Windows Media Player 5.1, 6.4, and 9, as Windows XP is the only version of Windows with three separate versions of Media Player included, and they all have their uses! ;)
I just mention it because I assume only WMP 11 would be supported with updates, but that's probably true whatever I do.

The only other thing is that I use the ineXPerience patcher, but I highly doubt that would affect anything.

So it sounds like the hotfixes could be useful, but the only possible downside could be the disk space they take up?
I wonder why Microsoft doesn't push them to everyone!

Anyway, please let me know which option you think would be best for me, or if you need more information.

Thanks,
Thomas :)

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:14 pm

You can choose not to install windows media player 11 if you like for the Hoefs' Update Pack. You can actually choose what to install for each and everything. Install windows xp and make sure you have a clean sp3 installed. Then run Hoefs' Update Pack and install what you want. You can check what you want and uncheck what you don't want. BTW, Hoefs' Update Pack is also in english.

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:30 pm

OK, thanks!

So would I be right to assume that Harkaz's and Hoefs' update packs would be similar for my purposes other than different optional hotfixes perhaps, but Hoefs' one is easier to customize to get what I want?

It seemed to me like Harkaz's pack would remove Windows Messenger 4.7 (oh no!) and I'm not sure how easily customizable it is (although it is an awfully amazing piece of work!)

PJAmerica

Post by PJAmerica » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:01 am

Hoefs' update pack is straight forward. It removes nothing. Try it out in a VM and see how you like it. It's really up to you to decide what is best for your needs.

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:04 pm

Alright, Hoefs' pack sounds likely best for me.

It is difficult for me (and much more difficult for newcomers) to decide what is best for my needs when the sticky explaining the updates packs' purposes hasn't been updated for eight years. Harkaz's pack doesn't even have documentation written yet (not that I'm blaming him), but you must see where I'm coming from.

Thanks for the help!

Thomas

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Update:
The theme is changeable to the old one via the control panel.

Dibya

Hello!

Post by Dibya » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 pm

:) Before Dooms day , you can backup your activation .
You can see in redmond.cc