connection stuttering, broke connections

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
GH0st

connection stuttering, broke connections

Post by GH0st » Fri May 15, 2015 11:19 am

Hey guys, thought I would post here to see if anyone had heard of my most recent problem. This JUST STARTED 11May15 (Patch Tues).

While playing online games, there will be a long lag, game often stuttering and often disconnecting. Game is UT99 (Unreal Tournament). Been playing this for years, I do so competitively, missing a day in game, means alot to me and the people that are trying to catch up to me and my small lead over them.

This game problem is so severe, it makes this game unplayable. Will also do this while surfing the web and such. There is NO ACTIVITY showing on the local area connection icon in the system try during these periods. While in game, seems like it happens regularly, like its a timed event.

I believe it has something to do with recent patches updated this tuesday. As this is when the problem started.

I fear the only way to fix it, is a fresh install (which is ok) but the next SP4 v3 is not ready yet and, if I make a new install ISO, then user_hidden's update pack would have this update in it.

I have nothing new on the rig, same tools, same tweaks, WinXP Pro, slipstreamed to USP4v2, as done many times during beta testing. No problems till this week. ESET Nod32 av, been using it over a year now, same settings there.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Fri May 15, 2015 5:00 pm

i'm not seeing any issue here...
i'd look more closely at ESET Nod32 as the culprit...

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat May 16, 2015 3:26 am

long-lurker wrote:i'm not seeing any issue here...
i'd look more closely at ESET Nod32 as the culprit...
I would think similar, BUT, been using this for over a year, with out a hitch!!! Was all doing well, till recently.

Just thought I would throw this problem out there, see if others were having similar probs.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Mon May 18, 2015 5:03 pm

apparently not, nobody has chimed in anyway...

i personally would still point the finger at ESET...
using it for over a year without a hitch doesn't mean ANYTHING...

over the years (dating all the way back to the Commodore 64), i've had numerous occasions where "antivirus" programs are the PROBLEM and **not** the "solution"...

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon May 18, 2015 5:19 pm

I hear ya and I did decide to test it some. It does go into a MODE, called "GAME MODE". It does this automatically. All pop-up windows suppressed, all scheduled tasks paused. I also have PROTOCOL FILTERING set to not scan my actual game. This has always worked fine in the past ... and I suspect it was during this period. But you never know ...

My plan was to MANUALLY set the game mode, just in case the auto aspect stopped working ... but, the problem went away on it own! So I have no idea what was really going on here.

I am working with the US Attorney's office on public corruption crimes in my area ... so maybe one part of my government (Drug running/Human Trafficking cops) trying to gather intel from me while I was gaming, to see what data was been shared with US Attorney.

I have no real idea! But thank you all for considering and offering idea to check!

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:11 pm

i was basically two months behind on my UpdatePacks

i do think there is "definitely" something in an April-thru-now update that is causing major havoc with internet connectivity (wireless in my case) and IE8 rendering (missing images, large gaps filled with empty space, improper CSS spacing)...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:30 pm

Rendering may not be related to connection issues. Rendering seems to be an issue with YumeYao's WMP10/11 addons.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:51 am

there's still "something" else going on
updating everything *EXCEPT* WMP 11 v3.5.0 results in my wireless network not functioning

"something" in either XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack (20150609), XPSP3_QFE_POSReady (20150609), or YumeYao_IE8 (Nosetuperr v1.5.8) is causing my wireless to not connect to the outside world

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:52 pm

wireless still not connecting to outside world even with MARCH'S xpsp3_qfe updates *with* YumeYao_IE8 v1.5.8

now trying yet another install, this time using 20150609 xpsp3_qfe's but reverting to my last-saved IE8 (v1.5.5)
scratch that, i'm reverting to MARCH'S xpsp3_qfe's and IE8 v1.5.5 - done screwing with it until next month

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:28 pm

issue is not my update pack

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 pm

it appears it is possibly a corrupted .net all-in-one
did a byte-compare of two install DVDs and it's showing the .net .exe as different
have not updated it for several months, it just gets copied from old-DVD to desktop back to new-DVD

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:27 am

this month's 11th install currently in-process (including this morning's POSReady update)

everything updated *except* WMP11 (kept the Onepiece v1.0.0_Final that i've been using)

i've had corrupted .exe's in my file transfer process before but it's always been mouse, keyboard, or video driver installs and they always abort install and the install DVD is re-nLited and started over from scratch...

the best i can gather is that a corrupted .net framework all-in-one caused all my problems this go-around (aside from the first few being related to WMP11 v3.5.0), but there was no aborted install, everything "looked like" everything was installing fine

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:15 pm

that did the trick!
i'm (finally) back up-and-running

not sure "where" in the testing the .net framework all-in-one (and MS Office 2003) went 'sour' but all is 'sweet' now (excluding WMP11 updates which i'm not too worried about on this machine) :)

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:12 pm

glad after your testing it all has cleared up

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 pm

definitely the strangest issue i've ever encountered

a MEDIA PLAYER update wreaking havoc with the way that IE8 (technically i use GreenBrowser but it's an IE8 "shell") renders web pages ???

it all snowballed downhill from there, lol