[Suggest] Any you like about improving Windows XP API/Secuir

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
Dibya

[Suggest] Any you like about improving Windows XP API/Secuirity/bugfix

Post by Dibya » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:50 am

Hi , all guys/gals . Please help me improving Windows XP by fixing bugs faced yourself in Windows Xp. I want to do something like KerenaLEx for 2000 with XP. I want to make XP compatible with Windows 10 Standard.

Any ports that you have done in your systen (like usp10.dll of vista). Any fixes to secuirity /stability/other that you know.

Please help me to make xp better . I will make update.exe pack for manually installing and addone for nlite /RVMi.

I you like Windows XP , please help XP to Survive Its EOL

NT Five

Nice idea

Post by NT Five » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:51 am

You can count me in.

I'm an advanced XP user and planning to keep using XP for many more years.
At the moment my programming skils are very limited but I am going to learn C and C++ this year.

My current XP box runs in RAMdisk mode and I am using anti exsecutables and other tricks and tweaks to harden the system.
Using updatepacks but after April 2019 Microsoft will pull the plug so we have to reverse engineer future Windows 10 patches to create our XP updates.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am

@Nt Five
can you please provide your tweaks?

NT Five

Post by NT Five » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Currently I don't have access to my PC's so I can't post my tweaks now.
Posting this message from my phone.

Using some hexedited files to change taskbar appearance, add software RAID 5 support from server 2003 to XP, various well known registry tweaks to enhance stability and security etc...
Most effective security enhancement IMO ; booting the OS from RAMdisk so all changes (cookies, potential malware infection etc) are flushed at reboot.

I lost faith in conventional OS installation methods; files sitting in partitions on drives.
All my C partitions are encapsulated in image files now.
A few years ago I changed my paradigm.

Blacklisting (virus databases) and persistence (allowing writes to a non-virtualised filesystem) don't make sense anymore with the huge quantity of malware floating around.

My main OS is XP and I ALWAYS RUN IT IN RAMDISK MODE except for software upgrades and configuration.
I have been running as an Admin on XP systems without all the latest updates installed (used to install updates every 4 to 6 months) for many years using only XP's firewall and Free Avast antivirus without ever getting infected.

I think RAMdisk boot is the holy grail of security, performance and stability.
Less wear and tear on your HD because all the read and writes on the C drive are in RAM, easy backup/restore of Windows "partition" (only 1 image file to copy) as the image file you just booted from is not in use by Windows if booted in RAMdisk mode so you can copy it on the fly.

Want to install software or change system settings ?
Reboot and choose FILEdisk mode in the boot menu.
Do your thing and all the modifications will be written to the image file.
Reboot again and select RAMdisk mode.
Voila... you are back in non-persistence....

Great system...
Why should I ever want to go back to a conventional installation ?
Using this method since 2009 and never had any major problems with the setup.
It's a pain to get it running because you have to modify a lot of setting and patch some things (moving user profile folders like desktop, download and temp folders to a location outside your C drive) but it is totally worth the trouble, because once you get it running after a lot of trial and error, you will be so addicted to the ease of use, the enhanced security and stability that you will never look back !

Recently I added some more security layers; an outbound firewall (still using XP's firewall for added protection), AppGuard, Sandboxie, and NoVirusThanks ExeRadarPro.

Currently no AV installed and using my system for online shopping and online banking without fear....

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:20 pm

NT Five wrote: Currently no AV installed and using my system for online shopping and online banking without fear....
Really a fearless job
Awesome i have gone love your ram boot idea

NT Five

Post by NT Five » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 am

RAMdisk booting was not invented by me.
I just like unorthodox methods of doing things and I love doing research and getting deeper understanding of interesting subjects so that pushes me to browse all kinds of forums...

Take a look at the reboot.pro forum if you want to learn about RAMdisks.
People are doing eccentric and "impossible" things concerning booting modded operating systems.

There are so many fascinating techniques and methods of doing things.
So many forum posts with countless links to other interesting info....
You easily get overwhelmed by the massive quantity of information available and it is easy to spend days and weeks reading....

Just a random link...

http://reboot.pro/topic/18243-run-windo ... m-ramdisk/

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:19 pm

thanks