Slipstreaming 5eraph's XPSP3 QFE POSReady Updates addon w/ SP4? (and IE8 WU problem)

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
avamk

Slipstreaming 5eraph's XPSP3 QFE POSReady Updates addon w/ SP4? (and IE8 WU problem)

Post by avamk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Hello,

I've successfully used nLite to slipstream harkaz's wonderful Windows XP Service Pack 4 (which comes with additional security tweaks) into my clean Windows XP SP3 install ISO. It is almost exactly what I need, thanks harkaz!

However, there are two issues:

(1) Upon installing and first boot, the built in Windows Update tells me that there's a bunch of POSReady 2009 updates (and a couple others). Is there a pack/addon to slipstream in those updates as well? I know of 5eraph's XPSP3 QFE POSReady Updates 20161108 addon for user_hidden's XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack, but the thread says that addon is
Intended only for use with user_hidden's XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack.
Is there another to way do it?

BTW, poolside has posted the list of POSReady 2009 updates (and a couple others) that you get after a Service Pack 4 installation here.

(2) After installing from my ISO with SP4 slipstreamed in, I tried running Windows Update (and, later, Microsoft Update) via Internet Explorer 8. I was taken to a Windows Genuine Advantage check, which after a couple seconds took me to an error page saying my browser is "out-of-date". Even though I know there's a way to manually trigger Windows' built in Windows Update check, I prefer to also be able to use Windows Update in IE8. Is there a way to achieve that?

Thank you!

GH0st

Re: Slipstreaming 5eraph's XPSP3 QFE POSReady Updates addon w/ SP4? (and IE8 WU problem)

Post by GH0st » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:36 am

uSP4 (Unofficial Service Pack 4) has IE8 in it already. The last update to the uSP4 was done January 2016. You would need to get all updates that come after that from WU. There are other optimizations in uSP4 which make it a faster OS install, IMHO. Thus its the better solution!! Though, if you want a fresh install, with all updates on first boot, then you must use the other three packs together. QFE, POS and IE8. Together you will have what you want. But, you wont have all the added security fixes that that German Dudes (Stefan) has done. This is a few thousand fixes ... which is pretty significant (maybe).

My current recommendation is to use the uSP4 and just get the last 10 months of updates from WU. On my personal hardware, it is a faster OS and possibly more secure due to German Dudes added security fixes! I also recommend that you make no alterations to the OS with nLite, just slipstream, make ISO, burn ISO to thumb drive with RUFUS tool. Harkaz has make is to it installs perfectly!

bphlpt

Re: Slipstreaming 5eraph's XPSP3 QFE POSReady Updates addon w/ SP4? (and IE8 WU problem)

Post by bphlpt » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:20 pm

But GH0st, if I understand what avamk meant when he said:
avamk wrote:After installing from my ISO with SP4 slipstreamed in, I tried running Windows Update (and, later, Microsoft Update) via Internet Explorer 8. I was taken to a Windows Genuine Advantage check, which after a couple seconds took me to an error page saying my browser is "out-of-date". Even though I know there's a way to manually trigger Windows' built in Windows Update check, I prefer to also be able to use Windows Update in IE8. Is there a way to achieve that?!
he doesn't seem to be able to get those updates from WU. But you say that you are able to do so? So it looks like you two need to figure out what is different between each of your install methods.

@avamk, try explaining EXACTLY what you do when you try to install your system using uSP4. GH0st briefly explained what he does: "just slipstream, make ISO, burn ISO to thumb drive with RUFUS tool", install, and then get all updates after January 2016 from WU. As long as you are not trying to create a fully updated install medium to use on a large number of systems, this is probably the easiest approach. If this doesn't work for you when you try it, then there is probably something you are doing differently than GH0st. If you can figure out what those differences are, that should solve your problems.

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Sorry, I must have read this late at night, as I didn't comprehend what he actually said. Thanks for pointing this out.

To add: I have found that before I connect to the internet, that I need to change the "Internet Timer Server", as if you leave it to the stock "time.windows.com", that MS can figure out your install may not be legit and thus not pass Genuine Advantage. I think there is a tie between the two, so to avoid this I change the time server to "pool.ntp.org" ... or any other time server other the MS.

Also, I never get updates thru WU, but MS update, which is NOT installed in uSP4. I did want him to put this there, but he didn't want too. If you use the 'SP3-QFE-POS-IE8' method of slipstreaming than "user_hidden" has included! But even with uSP4, you can go to Windows Update page and download/install the Microsoft update component. Things should be fine.

avamk

Post by avamk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:53 pm

Thank you so much GH0st and bphlpt. Sorry if I wasn't clear in the original post, what I *would* like is to slipstream as many updates as possible into the *install media*, instead of running Windows/Microsoft Update after install.

(1) I actually like the 'SP3-QFE-POS-IE8' method, the problem is I really like having Stefan's security tweaks in SP4. Is there another way to get Stefan's tweaks slipstreamed in other than SP4?

(2) You also recommended "no alterations to the OS with nLite". However, I would like to remove lots of components that I don't want like extra drivers, extra languages, MSN Explorer, Messenger, Movie Maker, etc. and also disable some services I don't need. I've been trying to do that with SP4 but failed, is it not possible? Would it be possible if I go with user_hidden's XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack and 5eraph's XPSP3 QFE POSReady Updates 20161108 addon? Or is there another way???

In summary, ideally what I want is (a) as many updates as possible, (2) remove components and disable services I don't want, (3) have Stefan's security tweaks. Is this a possibility???? Thanks!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:08 am

@avamk, you might want to check out Kurt_Aust's latest thread. Just a suggestion. (Any questions about it should be made in that thread.)

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Avamk:

- nLite does not support uSP4, which is why you should avoid removals. Other then that, its just fine.
- But the old method (SP3-QFE-POS-IE8) does work fine, so you can remove what ever you like. Works as it usually would.
- There is a a copy of Stephan's file, converted to english, BUUUUUUUUT, it was last updated to include all the official (non-POS) updates, ending May 2014. He did his last compile in Jun 2014. So, you can do a old method of SP3-QFE, nothing else, then on first boot run the Stephan file, reboot, than you can get all updates thru MS Updates. I have recently done an install just like this and really liked it, ALOT! But the uSP4 has things done to it, optimizations during install that Harkaz causes to occur, that makes it just a little sweeter!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 pm

@GH0st, you might want to check out Kurt_Aust's latest thread as well, since he uses nLite with SP4 and implies that tweaks and removals DO work. At least he specifically mentions using nLite for doing tweaks, but he doesn't mention removals at all, neither doing them or avoiding them. I haven't tried it myself, since I haven't used XP in quite awhile, but it would be interesting if you and avamk could confirm whether it works or not.

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:21 pm

I have used this for well over 15 years, know the program well! I have also used it on uSP4, and yes, some of the stuff works, some is broke. Why does it not all work, cause nLite, doesn't support this program. They would have to do a lot of work to make everything work. You can break a perfectly good install tweaking/removing.

My personal use shows me its best to leave it alone, as there is really no benefit to slimming the install down. Not like it used to be.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:56 am

I totally agree with your approach of not slimming, (I haven't slimmed any OS in years), but I wanted to point avamk to Kurt's thread since, even if you don't slim the OS, the thread does seem to lay out the procedure of how to create the modified install source in an easy to follow step-by-step manner. Thanks for confirming that you believe that it is better not to slim, but it is, of course, up to each user to decide if that approach is best for them in any particular situation. I guess that avamk will have to address things with Kurt directly, or harkaz, if he wants have the advantages that SP4 has to offer but continue to pursue his goal of slimming an updated SP4 install source.

Cheers and Regards

avamk

Post by avamk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks GH0st and bphlpt. I've asked in harkaz's thread about obtaining the tweaks separately from SP4, and will study Kurt_Aust's thread and ask there, too.

I still don't completely get, however, why you prefer no slimming of the installer? Even though hard drive sizes are much bigger these days, I'd prefer to remove things like Messenger, Outlook Express, Movie Maker, etc. in my installer so the OS is "cleaner" when installed. But is there a specific concern/problem for why you don't prefer slimming? Thanks!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:40 pm

My reason is that Windows has seemed to have gotten more intertwined and interdependent over the years. Yes I know that XP is an older OS that should not have that "issue", but even updates and hotfixes can sometimes cause unforeseen "gotchas" in seemingly unrelated areas when removals are attempted, and forget about it if you ever need to add anything back after it has been removed. And you have to admit that it is most likely that more testing, by both MS and by other users, has probably been done with the OS left "whole". (And SP4, which has some of the extra features that you want, was also designed and tested to be used with the "complete" OS.)

As you say, hard drives and memory space have both gotten larger, and they and CPUs have gotten faster, so there really is not as much need and advantage to "slim" any OS as there used to be. So reliability and stability should be more of a consideration. I've found that there are vastly fewer issues with leaving the OS intact, and simply disabling any services, scheduled tasks, and/or OS features that you don't need or want. You can also remove any remaining links to programs that were not removed, but you do not wish to use. That way you will have the "cleaner" look and feel that you want, you will not notice the relatively small amount of "extra" space that is left by not slimming, and all of the OS features will still be in place, and updated, just in case you find you need any of them later, but they will not get in your way nor cause any issues since they are disabled.

Some of it's a personal preference. Some folks like to have the leanest OS possible, with no OS features that they don't use all the time, and only one option for each function, ie one browser, one text editor, etc. Other folks like to have as many options for every single function that they can possibly have, "just in case". I'm somewhere in between, but probably closer to the latter.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:49 pm

bphlpt says it well! My reasons are very much the same.

When I started with WinXP I had Pentium 500mhz, 128mb memory and a 8GB HD ... now I have C2Q 2500mhz, 4gb ram and 250gb Velociraptor (10,000) HD. Lots of speed.

I used to like to make it slim, but doing so often lead to alot of issues, blue screens and other error messages ... which I don't like. I would rather it just all be present, fully updated and then turned off, so as not to be a resource hog. Doing what I can, tweak, for best security! Windows update will still show the updates to be installed for the components you removed, but they wont install correctly, cause you have chosen to remove them, causing fails ... which, I prefer to not see. I was max security, and an EVENT VIEWER that is clear of issues when I check it everyday! This makes me happy, makes me secure and, it does make for a faster Operating System, when everything operates as it should!

Happy Thanks Giving!

avamk

Post by avamk » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Thank you bphlpt and GH0st!
You've definitely convinced me to go more towards the "not slimming" route! I really don't like Movie Maker so will probably still remove it :), but other than that I'll go with:

1. "Raw SP3 installer" + "user_hidden's XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack" + "IE8 addon" integrated into an ISO.

2. After installation I'll install Stephan's file.

3. Add POSReady 2009 registry tweak.

4. Install POS updates.

I've started doing that, but I've encountered problems installing Stephan's file (see my report here) and I'm trying to find a way to get all the POS updates and be able to batch install them offline (so I don' t have to run any Windows Updates within or outside of IE). Do you know how to deal with that?

Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving to you too!