Integrating XP SP1

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
lemonyx

Integrating XP SP1

Post by lemonyx » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi all,

I have XP SP1 Corp and would like to integrate this with some add-ons and SP3.

Do I have to start with SP2 then add SP3 or can I go from 1 to 3? Sorry for the nob ? but I an not a software type person.

TIA

Oh, how about a tut section for guy's like me, where all the tut's are centrally located and it'll be eaiser to just go straight to there as well as a FAQ's.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:22 pm

Service Packs are by definition cumulative. You can directly integrate SP3 over SP1.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

FrizzleFry

Post by FrizzleFry » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:13 am

That is what I have read, even the XP SP3 overview doc says this but the download page for XP SP3 RC2 states: Windows Service Pack 2 is required in order to install this preview. Please uninstall any previous beta release of Service Pack 3 before installing SP3 RC2.

lemonyx

Post by lemonyx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:18 am

Thank you for the reply,I'll get working on it.

If a beta SP3 had been installed - what would you use to un-install it or would you have to reinstall SP2 all over again then the SP3?

DizzyDen

Post by DizzyDen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:51 pm

lemonyx wrote:Thank you for the reply,I'll get working on it.

If a beta SP3 had been installed - what would you use to un-install it or would you have to reinstall SP2 all over again then the SP3?
If it is slipstreamed into your source then installed, there is no "uninstall", you would have to do a fresh installation to use a later SP3 or to go back to SP2.

If you use the "official" update to update your current SP2 to SP3, then there will be an uninstall SP3 available, I have not tested the unstall capabilities, and don't know that I would trust it to remove SP3 correctly.

I only test with SP3 on a system that I do not have to rely on for everyday use, and can move anything I wish to keep to another system/drive to reformat and perform other install tests.
FrizzleFry wrote:That is what I have read, even the XP SP3 overview doc says this but the download page for XP SP3 RC2 states: Windows Service Pack 2 is required in order to install this preview. Please uninstall any previous beta release of Service Pack 3 before installing SP3 RC2.
That is if you wish to install the update installer. That is a windows update requirement.

If you wish to slipstream it, there is no need to have any sp, or can have any sp integrated into your source.
You Can't Get, If You Won't Give
YCGIYWG