Onepiece and WGAN

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
lespea

Onepiece and WGAN

Post by lespea » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:41 am

Could somebody smarter than me possible make an addon that removes WGAN from XP after you've integrated Onepiece's update pack? I don't need my computer contacting Microsoft every 8 seconds telling them my personal information thankyouverymuch.

And I've never, ever needed WGAN (just WGAV) for MU so I don't know what they're talking about...

If it isn't possible I'll just switch to a different pack.

Thanks!!!

XIII

Post by XIII » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:56 am

Nonno fabio informed us on this forum that OnePiece made WGAN removable in 1.8.0.

So you don't really need such an addon? :?
We are one, but we are not the same... Talk to each other!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:59 am

If somebody talked to me like that i would not help him or her...id say F you, ask nicely next time

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:33 am

For an uninstall using add/remove windows components you'll have to wait for Onepiece 1.8.0 update pack.
Or wait once the pack is released if someone may want to study it and release a way for anyone to remove it from the pack.

For a manual uninstall use the below steps.

1. Rename the following files by changing the extension to .old:
• Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.dll to %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.old
• Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.exe to %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old

2. Restart the computer.
3. Unregister LegitCheckControl.dll by using Regsvr32.
To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
Regsvr32 %Windir%\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll /u

4 Restart the computer.
5. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
6. At the command prompt, delete the following files by typing the Del command. Press ENTER after you type each command.
• Del %Windir%\system32\wgalogon.old
• Del %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old
• Del %Windir%\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll

7. At the command prompt, type regedit.
8. Locate and then right-click the following registry subkeys. Click Delete after you locate each subkey.
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\ CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WgaLogon
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows \CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WgaNotify

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:33 pm

wow thats pretty rude lespea

these people are doing all this work for free. nobody is paying them a dime for all their efforts.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:13 pm

Every 8 seconds my ass. Do your fucking research! Its only once at boot and then like twice a month after that...

I am soo glad he has added it. It shows us just who the true users are around here.

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:52 pm

People that supports things like WGA loss my respect.

Oron123
Location: In the tavern in the village of Fleur de lis near Calypso - StS

Post by Oron123 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Hey, I don't like WGAN too, but I don't bitch in this manner.
True, WGAN is annoying, but the guy(s) offering you their work do not owe you anything.
Either you download OnePiece's update pack, or you don't. Just be sure to thank him for that.

Kel, I don't think WGAN shows true users.
I have a genuine licence and don't see any use for WGAN. I already know my Windows copy is legit.
Plus, I truly think people who download update packs and know how to use them also know whether their copy is pirated or not.
True people are shown here by supporting others and thanking them.
An advice for life: Do not argue with people who have no knowledge.
They aren't aware of what they say/write and will drag you down to their level.
www.TecHappens.com

lespea

Post by lespea » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Hmm I guess I should have been more specific about what I was griping about... I certainly wasn't complaing about OnePiece... I love his work and really appreciate what he does; I usually even say so when he releases updates. I just *hate* wgan and was trying to explain how much I dislike that.

Perhaps I should get better at proofreading before I submit and goto bed.

So yeah... sorry!

Anyway, user_hidden for the info. I do realize that you can remove it (or will be able to) but I like my discs to be "as complete" as possible when they're finished so I don't have extra tasks to perform after the automated parts are done. So hopefully somebody can do that thing you were suggesting (which was my initial request)

User

Post by User » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:28 am

It does seem a bit absurd that people complain.

If Onepiece had made the pack with no WGA - people would complain that they see that hotfix appear on Windows Update and say the pack is "not complete".

If Onepiece had made the pack with WGA - people would complain that they have WGA crap on their WinXP. Which is illegal anyway which is the real reason for complaining.

So Onepiece is damned either way!

Its stuff like this that makes people like Onepiece just pack it in and wonder why he bothers.

The Onepiece pack does not include KB905474 anyway, see:

That is XP SP3 with the Onepiece addon PLUS the 5 or so hotfixes from Tuesday November 11th.

Maybe if you have this in your addon (why, I don't!) you could possibly use ResHacker to make it a "fake" install, like can be done with 890830.

That essentially tells Windows Update the hotfix has been installed, even though it hasn't. This saves about 7Mb on your ISO and you do not have WU saying you need it.

There are also plenty of "cracked" versions of KB905474, although I guess ResHacking it is all that is.

Yes, it should be your choice whether you run pirated Windows or not and especially if you don't, you should have... no you DO have the right to privacy, so its questionable whether these cracked hotfixes are legal, they probably are I think, Microsoft doesn't care about your privacy, but you have that as a god given right, I am sure its covered in some Brussels treaty.

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:30 am

Onepiece could hide the WGAN in WU/MU he could do it like this:
1. Install UpdatePack v1.8
2. Go to Windows Update and select hide WGAN.
3. Then put the "DataStore.edb" file from "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore" in the UpdatePack.

Oron123
Location: In the tavern in the village of Fleur de lis near Calypso - StS

Post by Oron123 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:05 am

To tell you the truth, and it's not related to any update pack, I don't know why people even need WGAN in an unattended setup.
Yes, I know the update will be shown in Windows Update and it may cause annoyance to see it, but still.
In my opinion, WGAN should only be installed for newly bought PCs with Windows OS installed on them as OEM.
And about retails? Well, buy them from known places. There are plenty.
An advice for life: Do not argue with people who have no knowledge.
They aren't aware of what they say/write and will drag you down to their level.
www.TecHappens.com

redxii

Post by redxii » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:26 am

Validation is required for Windows Update, and other non-security downloads, so I don't understand WGAN's raison d’être when there's already a tool that does that.

nonno fabio

Post by nonno fabio » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:23 am

I'm so bored with these discussions that I decided to post a workaround here to prevent Onepiece's XP Update Pack from integrating WGAN in XP source.
Don't ask for a different configuration of Onepiece's XP AIO Update Pack: use one of the existing vanilla XP UpdatePack with your preferred addons instead

lespea

Post by lespea » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:39 pm

Thank you :)