Which of the 'non-RyanVM' post sp2/sp3 packs are closest to

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
newsposter

Which of the 'non-RyanVM' post sp2/sp3 packs are closest to Ryans?

Post by newsposter » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Some update pack makers have a minimalist approach, some have a 'mimic-ist' approach. Both have their merits, all offer choice.

Personally, I'm interested in staying as close as possible to Ryans efforts over the past 4 years without bugging the man too much. It's what I'm used to and what I've proven out in testing. I'll probably go to Win7 about 90 days after it goes GA but for now, XP is it for me.

??? and thanks!

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:10 pm

What publicly-available en-US packs are there for XP-SP3? I only know of three.

Xable: ultra-conservative
redxii: very conservative
Onepiece: ultra-liberal

RVM's is moderately liberal. I don't really think there is an en-US XP-SP3 pack that is quite like his, since his is more or less equidistant from the two extremes. I guess Onepiece's is a bit closer, but not by that much.

If you like the positioning of RVM's pack (QFE, most of the important stuff, but not everything under the sun), then I really don't think there's a pack out there that can replace it. The problem is that it's a very tedious process; I think that the best way forward is to get a bunch of people together to jointly maintain the pack.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 am

I personally think that redxii's update pack is closest to Ryan's update pack. Except for the "extra branch", his contains all of the common updates and a few of the other component updates that Ryan has. It is more of a personal preference why I think this, but I have used his update pack before and it is nearly always without updates on MS windows update.

Besides, many times you can get the individual updates for the items that Ryan's update pack gets, but redxii's update pack does not.

Heck, if I had the knowledge, I would consider creating an update pack close to what Ryan has. However, I know I am out of my league on that topic. :)
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

code65536

Post by code65536 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:54 am

crashfly wrote:I personally think that redxii's update pack is closest to Ryan's update pack.
The QFE vs. GDR difference is very significant, esp. as time goes on. Personally, I would say that the QFE vs. GDR decision is the most important defining characteristic, with everything else subordinate to that.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

litemirrors

Post by litemirrors » Thu May 21, 2009 3:23 pm

I was using RyanVM's, then OnePiece's, but I recently acquired sp0! I slipstreamed it with sp3 and tried OnePeices update pack but it didn't work, it gave me frame dll error or whatever - so I tried redxii's and it was fine, I just used OnePeices IE8 & WMP11 seperately. I've tried alot of addons from here but I had so many somehow I got a virus, a really bad one. I then decided to keep it minimal and just kinda addon important things that improve the XP experience. Oh well thanks for listenin!