end-result differences Redxii / User Hidden / Xable / Nonno

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
noot

end-result differences Redxii / User Hidden / Xable / Nonno Fabio's packs?

Post by noot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:44 am

Hithere,

Respect and a million thnx to everybody who contributes with update packs and addons here.

As a non-expert on the indepth details on how all this magic is being realized I have a simple question (with a hopefully not to difficult answer):

What are the differences on the end-results for the update packs from Redxii, User Hidden, Xable and Nonno Fabio (=Onepiece?)?

I am specialy interested in differences in stability and compatibility of the resulting XP installations, and (for now :wink: ) not interested in how these packs are exactly being composed...

Alleine

Post by Alleine » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:15 am

A question that I can answer but it is answered yet...

User Hidden's UpdatePack:
This update pack is of the QFE branch much like the RyanVM update pack.
RedXII's UpdatePack:
UpdatePack is based on the work of the RyanVM UpdatePack. This update pack consists of High Priority updates and a few extra goodies.
One Piece UpdatePack:
This XP post-SP3 All-in-One Update Pack differs from Ryan's One, which is more customizable to your needs, as it includes by default more stuff like IE8, DX updates, .NET 1.1 or WMP11 for an easier integration, along with official and nearly all request-only hotfixes (RyanVM's Update Pack is more selective with request-only hotfixes, which is fine): all in a few MBs.
User Hidden and RedXII offers the high priority hotfixes and some tweaks. One Piece includes the most updates for Windows XP.

A question I also have: Nonno fabio = One Piece?

EDIT: Sorry, I did not know that Xable are supporting a updated updatepack.
Last edited by Alleine on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

noot

Post by noot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:25 am

Thnx, but this is not an answer to my question:

"I am specialy interested in differences in stability and compatibility of the resulting XP installations, and (for now ) not interested in how these packs are exactly being composed..."

(and just quoting an old release date of a Xable's pack is not a real help)

nonno fabio

Post by nonno fabio » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:54 am

the OnePiece's Update Pack is entirely carried on by OnePiece itself and we are two different persons. His nickname in the forum is "Onepiece Alb"

He asked me some time ago if I could give him a help to spread his work in english language forums and that's what I've done in a small way.

Onepiece Pack includes more request-only hotfixes than User Hidden/RyanVM one so theoretically would fix more potential XP bugs but could be more unstable than the others. However I don't think there is a noticeable difference in common use
Don't ask for a different configuration of Onepiece's XP AIO Update Pack: use one of the existing vanilla XP UpdatePack with your preferred addons instead

mf3imp

Post by mf3imp » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:07 am

noot wrote:(and just quoting an old release date of a Xable's pack is not a real help)
The Xable Update Pack for SP3 was update yesterday, just a few hour after the security hotfixes were released on WU. It contain only high priority hotfix, in the same way they are released through Windows Update or via Automatic Update. No difference using Xable Update Pack or WU.
redxii's pack (which I use for my VM) contains the same update, plus some extra (like the MS Update Engine or Flash 10), that are avaible as addon with xable's release.
That's my experience at the moment (user_hidden work was too recent, it doesn't exists when I made the VM).

beats

Post by beats » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:32 am

noot wrote:"I am specialy interested in differences in stability and compatibility of the resulting XP installations, and (for now ) not interested in how these packs are exactly being composed..."
Regarding stability and compatibility, the update packs from Xable and RedXII are probably your best bet. Xable because it only contains all critical hotfixes offered by WU/MU (minus ie8). Red because it contains the same as Xable's plus a few non-critical fixes, optional components and other extra's like an updated flashplayer. So basically, these are as compatible and stable as you would install the hotfixes via WU/MU or automatic updates.

The other packs include non-public hotfixes however, and these might introduce stability or compatibility issues (they're not tested on a large scale by Microsoft, and sometimes are intended only for very specific problems/situations; hence why these hotfixes are not publicly available). On the other hand, I've never seen threads that either Ryan's or OnePiece' pack introduced stability or compatibility issues...

wolfsoul

Post by wolfsoul » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:06 pm

Only issue with OP's pack is it's a little incompatible with XPTSP..

Nevermind that.. it's fixed
Either way... if you wanna have control over small things.. chose xable/red or user-hidden
You want a total package.. pick onepiece's

noot

Post by noot » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks for these usefull replies!

Most important reason for this question coming up, is that with (all) these update packs I sometimes run into some (very minor) 'unexpected behaviour' problems running my pc's. Nothing serious, but just enough for some wonderings about the origins of these small hick-ups.

I suspected this might have to do with the update-packs, but considering your input, it is probably due to some nLite tweaks I make after the integration, or due to some driver/program/utility.

(fyi: I experience this on different hardware, with a clean XP SP3 integrated source from MS TechNet)

grtz.

avexmode

Post by avexmode » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:58 pm

where's this great introduction for "Onepiece Alb" few years back? something like "Onepiece a guy from albania who doesn't speak a word in English and his Italian are not that good too." or something like that... so that people would not be confuse. ^_^

wolfsoul

Post by wolfsoul » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:33 pm

I have a small sidenotice on this...
Some updatepacks don't seem to register all the included hotfixes.. which means it's possible after XP installation windows update might still say some hotfixes are not installed

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:13 pm

wolfsoul wrote:I have a small sidenotice on this...
Some updatepacks don't seem to register all the included hotfixes.. which means it's possible after XP installation windows update might still say some hotfixes are not installed

might be helpful if you listed which updatepacks and which don't get registered

wolfsoul

Post by wolfsoul » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:08 am

Xable's and redxii's I think.. but if you ask me the specific hotfixes.. I haven't used those packs recently

However you can find a comment here... :
http://projectalchemist.net/vb/showthre ... #post41671