Installation source with SATA textmode and chipset drivers

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
SymSpaceT

Installation source with SATA textmode and chipset drivers

Post by SymSpaceT » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:02 am

Hello folks,

When you do all this integration, you start from a base installation source. This would be the WinXP original installation source slipstreamed via the official Microsoft method with the latest service pack. This worked well for me so far.

There are two natural things you would like to integrate into this source and consequently use it as a base source. These are the SATA drivers in textmode and the chipset "drivers".

My question is: Is this possible?

Obviously, it is possible to execute the integration. The point of the question is whether what we get can then serve as a base installation source, meaning that starting from this new base source, all other integration, addon, tweak and other harassment of this source works just as well as if we had started from the original WinXPSP3 source.

Is there a difference between using nLite and the Integrator in performing this?

One relevant piece of info in this area comes from the Driverpack site: over there, they say that "pre-integrating" the drivers (here they mean all the drivers) is not possible as subsequent integration of hotfixes "breaks" this http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1449
Infact, they even advise you NOT to use nLite:
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=3615

However, they seem to have their own method for integrating drivers since the standard Microsoft procedure limits the number of drivers the integration can handle (via a limit in the length of referencing the various drivers).

So... can a SATA texmode and chipset-driver integrated source serve as a base installation source?

Thanks

SST

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:24 pm

yes, i do it all the time and i use nlite. i don't use driver packs though. i only use the sata driver for my specific motherboard. see this for an easy idea how to do it http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=0 ... opic=51140 or http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=0 ... pic=107504

key thing is to integrate them very last.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:56 pm

The main thing to remember with integrating drivers is to use either nlite OR driverpacks. Do NOT use both for driver integration or you WILL break your install source.
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:58 am

@clandren

Thanks for the links. Amazing two tutorials!
However, your last remark indicates to me that you seem to have misunderstood the question. The point is that if you integrate them first then the thing you get is a good installation source for further general integration or not.

@mr_smartepants

I'm not sure how your remark answers the question. You mean that it is, just that in if I used nLite or Driverpacks, then in any subsequent driver
integration I also need to use nLite or Driverpacks respectively, and I'm game?
This contradicts what "they" said at the Driverpack site (see my link above).

SST

jaynbe

Post by jaynbe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:23 am

The short answer to your first question is YES.
But there are rules as explained in previous answers and the given links.

You can use either driverpacks OR nLite (NO mixup)
Nite integration is made at the end of process (as with driverpacks)
Once drivers are integrated you cannot go back and change something.
You can add all drivers needed ; for textmode refer to the links above.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Just to clarify.
If you use nlite to integrate your own drivers and then integrate more drivers with driverpacks base will result in a broken install.
or
If you use driverpacks base to integrate driverpacks and then integrate more drivers directly with nlite will result in a broken install.

Driverpacks base has a built-in "update" functionality where if you previously integrated driverpacks with dps base you can then re-integrate newer driverpacks and base will correctly "remove" the older driverpacks and reintegrate the newer ones elegantly.
I don't believe nlite has that functionality.

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:38 am

Hello folks,

I am trying to come up with an answer to my question from your posts.

It seems that if I integrate these drivers first using

1. nLite, then I can use what I get for further integration of addons, hotfixes and possibly specific drivers as the need arises, provided that I again use nLite to do this?

2. Driverpacks, then I can use what I get for further integration of drivers only, provided I use Driverpacks to do this?

PLEASE NOTE that the first question is NOT about the subsequent integration of drivers only, but also addon packs, hotfixes, etc. (nLite)

What about the RVM Integrator?

SST

jaynbe

Post by jaynbe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:15 am

The general rule when you finished a session with drivers integration you CANNOT add to the same source. Nlite saves last_session.ini to make it easy for you starting again from a clean source. (=original MS Win CD).

You can however add whatever you want in the same session, or any session prior to the one you integrate drivers. (drivers integration is final stage of CD creation)

As for drivers_packs I would not make more than one session either to avoid conflicting drivers. After driver_packs your CD is final, no more changes, you have to restart with a clean source.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:14 pm

I don't know how to say it better than my previous post without going blue in the face!

*Use nlite to integrate drivers.
OR
*Use driverpacks BASE to integrate drivers.

If you try to use both to integrate drivers, you WILL damage your install source beyond repair.
I'm not saying anything else beyond that. I'm done.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:10 am

mr_smartepants wrote:I don't know how to say it better than my previous post without going blue in the face!

*Use nlite to integrate drivers.
OR
*Use driverpacks BASE to integrate drivers.

If you try to use both to integrate drivers, you WILL damage your install source beyond repair.
I'm not saying anything else beyond that. I'm done.
That's not his question, though.

He wants to have an ISO that he can set off to the side with ZERO update packs and ZERO addons. Just an ISO with SP3 and some SATA drivers.

That ISO will be the base ISO for UpdatePacks, hotfixes, addons, etcetera.

His question is thus: What is the best method for achieving that result?

Bear in mind that AFTER integrating the drivers (again, we're only talking about textmode SATA drivers), he will be integrating MORE drivers, WMP11, IE8, post-SP3 Update Pack, XPize, other addons, and/or anything else he needs to create his unattended disc.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:12 am

By the way, my answer is "I don't know." I integrate all of my drivers last, especially textmode drivers since they integrate relatively quickly, but I am curious to know the answer so that I can create a similar "starting point" disc.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:52 am

dumpydooby wrote:
seems to me thats been answered already. can't be done. see jaynbe's post above

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:06 am

dumpydooby wrote: That's not his question, though.

He wants to have an ISO that he can set off to the side with ZERO update packs and ZERO addons. Just an ISO with SP3 and some SATA drivers.

That ISO will be the base ISO for UpdatePacks, hotfixes, addons, etcetera.

Bear in mind that AFTER integrating the drivers (again, we're only talking about textmode SATA drivers), he will be integrating MORE drivers, WMP11, IE8, post-SP3 Update Pack, XPize, other addons, and/or anything else he needs to create his unattended disc.

I believe this thread can be regarded as an example of how hard communication can be. Thank you dumpydooby for understanding the question.

If you read the posts in this thread, you get both "yes" and "no". It seems to me that the answer would be "NO", based on the principle that "you always integrate drivers last". However, the reason I actually asked this question is that both the textmode drivers and the chipset "drivers" (the latter being simple text information files telling the os how to behave with the chipset and no code) are the simplest things you could get inasmuch as drivers (if I am right). So I thought integrating these and then using the result as the "starting point" of all other integration of any sort would be possible.

It seems not...

SST

hgary

Using the Sata driver pack

Post by hgary » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:15 pm

I have been using the RVM Intergrator to install the Sata drivers without any problems, In fact that is the 1st step of what I install first in the pack, I've been using that method for over a year, without one problem,
I use acombination of using both RVM and Nlite, they seem to work peaceful together, as long as you don't use the wrong program to integrate an addon which shouldn't be used with.
I will be posting the method which I have been using for some time now, over the weekend, It's a bit wordy, so ai am trying to clean up some of the language. I didn't want to it sound to elementary, but not too hard to understand either.

hgary

Post by hgary » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:16 pm

error message was recieved, I tried to delete this message [/list]

SymSpaceT

Re: Using the Sata driver pack

Post by SymSpaceT » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:34 am

hgary wrote:I have been using the RVM Intergrator to install the Sata drivers without any problems, In fact that is the 1st step of what I install first in the pack, I've been using that method for over a year, without one problem,
I use acombination of using both RVM and Nlite, they seem to work peaceful together, as long as you don't use the wrong program to integrate an addon which shouldn't be used with.
I will be posting the method which I have been using for some time now, over the weekend, It's a bit wordy, so ai am trying to clean up some of the language. I didn't want to it sound to elementary, but not too hard to understand either.

Do avail us of your method when ready with the write-up.

SST

mark strelecki

The STRELECKI Method to Build Custom XP Install Media

Post by mark strelecki » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Great conversation, and apologies for my tardiness. I have been using nLite and DriverPacks for a few years and wanted to share what works for me.

Drivers seem to change more frequently than OS update packs, so I use nLite to slipstream something like the XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack and nothing else - no modes, tweaks or drivers - and save that folder in a RAR/ZIP archive for future use. I can then add my configuration changes, registry tweaks, and setting changes for my intended installation (not all tweaks work well for all users or situations!). I do NOT use nLite to add drivers, because the fine folks at DriverPacks have gotten this down to more an art than a science, though a science it definitely IS.

I use nLite to create an ISO file and usually test it in VirtualBox (Virtual Machine Manager) to see if it works as expected, then I use ImgBurn to burn the ISO to disk and deploy as intended. Sometimes I add another folder, prior to ISO creation, that contains apps and other goodies that will be used on the target computer.

I can go back to that slipstreamed folder and open it with nLite and tweak and configure without limitation. When the XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack changes, I'll take an original SP3 CD and slipstream the new updates into it and save it in an archive, and repeat the process above.

I concur that drivers make things more difficult, but because they are changing so often, I suggest doing the at the time you create your install media, and not before.

Slipstreaming OS updates on top of other OS updates would also like be problematic, so I never do that, either. But I do build upon prior work when I can, so I can appreciate why others would wish to find some economy in their efforts, as well.

RULE OF THUMB: Never do again what you've already done. Simple, and it works for me!

Thanks for the great forum, and Long Live XP.

MARK STRELECKI
http://www.strelecki.com

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 pm

I have found that testing my disc with absolutely no integrated drivers in a VirtualBox to be very helpful. I generally get that down and working before I start adding drivers to the mix. The only change I make after I integrate DriverPacks is I add my own Presetup.cmd file; it's much more functional and it's compatible with RIS installations.