fixing windows XP SP3's system restore

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
RobNelson

fixing windows XP SP3's system restore

Post by RobNelson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi,
i have a PC running windows XP SP3. It got hit by a virus/malware/etc.

I have corrected it, however, Windows System restore no longer works. When i try to load it, it crashes immediately.

I ran sfc /scannow and it says that there are a number of DLL's that need to be replaced. I have my Windows XP CD, but its probably SP1, not SP3 (or possibly not even the right CD, since I got the computer used and have no idea what the guy i bought it from originally loaded). The system just says retry with a different CD....

What are your recommendations? (and the first wise guy who says buy an Apple gets slapped!) is there something on this site that would help?
Thanks

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:10 pm

You could copy the contents of your XP SP1 CD to your hard drive, slipstream SP3, then burn your new source to disc. Use the new disc to replace the mismatched DLLs by entering the SFC.exe command you previously executed.

beats

Post by beats » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:05 pm

What 5eraph said, or even better, create an ISO instead of burning it, and mount it with something like Daemon Tools.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:27 pm

To determine what you have, you should go to system properties. (Hit <WIN>+<Pause/Break>.) Give it a few moments, and then it should tell you what service pack you have installed. Then follow the above directions using the proper service pack.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way