Weird MSI Issue with user_hidden pack (and a few other addon

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
SinCityZ

Weird MSI Issue with user_hidden pack (and a few other addons)

Post by SinCityZ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 pm

OK so heres the situation.

I have a fully updates XP SP3 disc using the following:

User Hidden's Update pack 1.2.1
OnePiece IE8, WMP11, Silverlight 3.0, .Net 1.1
.Net 3.5 AIO 1.08

Everything works GREAT. I get no error messages, nothing. I can install anything windows installer based from Adobe Reader 9.3, to the newest java and everything inbetween.

The problem comes when I try to install the software for clear usb modems

http://www.clear.com/support/download

I get an windows installer error and when I click "show details" it points me to msi.dll getting an error. Must be the clear software I thought, but it does it on EVERY clean install using this disc. HOWEVER If I use a non slipstream disc and apply all updates from the windows update website directly, I have NO issues at all. Very weird and I can't seem to figure out where its coming from. This is on xp home and pro.

Any suggestions?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:29 pm

The version of MSI.dll included with that update pack is known to be problematic. You can use a newer update pack with an older version of the DLL, or try one of the solutions I posted in the update pack thread.

SinCityZ

Post by SinCityZ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:13 am

Thanks for the help, I haven't actually kept up on the last few pages. I appreciate your time and not just saying "go search" ... I will recompile my ISO and report back.

Thanks again

Mulgie

Post by Mulgie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:03 am

Hi 5eraph,

I'm hoping you can help me please fella. It seems I'm having the same issue that Strych9 had as I'm getting MSI errors when trying to install NI Labview here at work. Unfortunately, I am also using Onepiece's Update Pack for my slipstreamed XP disks and so although User-Hidden rightly did a rollback to KB967756 for his pack I notice that even Onepiece's latest Pack (version 3.8.0) still uses the buggy KB981669 version of MSI.dll.

What I'm wondering is whether I could download your fancy addon pack linked above and then (with a bit of tweaking) hopefully use it to rollback Onepiece's pack to the KB967756 version of MSI.dll too?

Many thanks in advance.

Mulgie

Post by Mulgie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:58 am

Hello again 5eraph, just done some more digging and it seems like your rollback fix does indeed work with Onepiece's pack anyhow as you suggest here:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 690#105690

Many thanks, next time I'll dig a bit further before posting.

(As an aside it'd be nice if this forum's search tool took you to the actual page where the search term is you're looking for and not just the first page of that post - Or am I doing something stupid again? :)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:07 am

I'm glad you were able to find it.

The forum search tool defaults to show the topics. To view matching posts with appropriate links then select "Display results as: Posts" in the lower left corner of the page. :)

Mulgie

Post by Mulgie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:12 am

Ha, I guessed there'd be a more refined way of searching, cheers for that tip too. :P