HELP! Nothing from Update Pack/Addons being installled...

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
Åmbrosius

HELP! Nothing from Update Pack/Addons being installled...

Post by Åmbrosius » Sat May 29, 2010 12:57 pm

Greetings wise ones,
Having finally reached a point where a reinstall is required on my PC, and having lost my previous disc, I decided it was time to do a final XP disc.

Have been out of the loop for a while, so not sure what may have changed, but can't find an answer with search. Using the Onepiece update pack, latest Integrator and backups of addons I used last time, the installation works perfectly (Well, one Framedyn issue, but found that and fixed it.)

However when I add a few Addons that have been updated since I last made a disc, with the same procedure, it all goes somewhat pearshaped. Windows installs fine, no complaints, but nothing else integrated seems to work.
There's no WMP, no IE, and NONE of my addons, even the old ones have installed. Only have one addon that installs from SVCPack, and that's the only one that actually seems to get installed. Setup log has a list of "Could not register OLE control" errors with various error codes.

So where do I look? And what can I hit with a large hammer to make this function correctly? As I have 12 of these updated addons, installing them one by one to find the issue is a depressing though so hopefully somebody could nudge me in the right direction to figure this out. I've tried running installs with just a few, but it fails every time, so is theoretically a problem with more than one, if not all, which I find unlikely.

Thanks in advance for any help :D

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat May 29, 2010 2:03 pm

The OLE control errors in SetupErr.log are normal with OnePiece's update pack.
nonno fabio wrote:setuperr.log will point out harmless error messages about some IE files like imgutil.dll, inetcpl.cpl, inseng.dll, mshtml.dll, msrating.dll, pngfilt.dll, occache.dll, webcheck.dll (caused by the patched Syssetup.dll used for integration and then restored with the original one). If you don't tolerate it you can integrate in addition this Onepiece Repair IE8 cosmetic problems addon
(Hash MD5 5C7AF8CA9F637C993F4AEEFFB63F39ED - Filesize: 1.28 Kb - updated 2008-03-27) which does nothing else than cleaning those false errors in your setuperr.log file. Please note that in some rare configurations the integration of this addon could cause issues
For the rest of your woes, a copy of your integrator log file would be very helpful. :)

Åmbrosius

Post by Åmbrosius » Sat May 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Ah, yeah, forgot about that cosmetic pack. In which case I get no error messages at all :rolleyes:

As for the log, please find below my last attempt, installing as I type.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tgttmtnmz ... or_1.6.log

And the datastore if that comes in useful. :?:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmnmzyyug ... astore.ini

Thanks again, hope you can help.

TheMAN

Post by TheMAN » Sat May 29, 2010 11:32 pm

I couldn't download the ini file for some reason, but skimming through the log, it appears you're installing your own addons *after* you integrated an update pack... try running RVM in once only or it may clobber things... you should use RVM the second time only for remove "addons"... in otherwords, put the update pack in, and all your little addons and integrate at the same time

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun May 30, 2010 7:15 am

That depends on the addons, TheMAN. RVMi can usually be used more than once on a source. nLite generally cannot due to the changes it makes by default.

Åmbrosius

Post by Åmbrosius » Sun May 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Okay, having installed every single addon one by one and run a test install, I tracked it to edited versions of Kels Uber Pack, which I'd changed a few destinations in, reverting to the original worked on that, so guess I must have managed to break it in a rather spectacular fashion. Will have to try again when I find some more patience.

The other was an updated version of an old Mrs Peels Flexible Renamer, I've rewritten the INF and Ini twice, changed every filename, and sworn at it in copious amounts, and it sill prevents anything else from installing.

I'll upload it tomorrow (Sleep beckons now) in the hopes somebody who's had more sleep than I can point out the inevitably blatantly obvious error to me, otherwise I'll just have to actually install something manually once setup's complete :(

Also tried installing every addon & update at once, with the same result. But was worth a try.
Thanks again for the help.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon May 31, 2010 12:48 am

I look forward to seeing your edits. :)

Swearing at the problem doesn't usually help me, but it sure does feel good. LOL

Åmbrosius

Post by Åmbrosius » Mon May 31, 2010 7:01 am

Okay, the offending Renamer addon for peer a approval:

The Entries_FlexyRen.ini:

Code: Select all

;Flexible File Renamer by Ambrosius

[general]
Builddate   =2010/05/30
Title       =Flexible Renamer
Version     =8.1
Language    =English
Description =Provides Extended File Renaming Capabilites.
Website     =http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014830/english/FlexRena

[sysoc]
FlexyRen=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,FlexyRen.inf,HIDE,7

[dosnet_files]
d1,FlexyRen.inf
d1,FlexyRen.cab

[txtsetup_files]
FlexyRen.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
FlexyRen.cab = 1,,,,,,_x,,3,3
The FlexyRen.inf:

;Flexible Renamer v8.1

[Version]
Signature=$Windows NT$

[Optional Components]
FlexyRen

[FlexyRen]
OptionDesc   = "Flexible Renamer"
Tip	     = "FlexyRen"
Modes	     = 0,1,2,3
CopyFiles    = prog.main
ProfileItems = Flexy.AddShortcut

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1="FlexyRen Files","Flexy.cab",,"i386"

[DestinationDirs]
prog.main = 16422,"%prog_dir%"

[SourceDisksFiles]
FlexyRen.exe=1
FlexyHlp.chm=1
FlexyStr.ini=1
FlexyMan.man=1
FlexyPre.ini=1
FlexyTag.ini=1

[Prog.Main]
FlexibleRenamer,FlexyRen.exe
Flexible Renamer.EN.chm,FlexyHlp.chm
Flexible Renamer.EN.Strings.ini,FlexyStr.ini
Flexible Renamer.exe.manifest,FlexyMan.man
Preset.ini,FlexyPre.ini
TagDef.ini,FlexyTag.ini

[Flexy.AddShortcut]
Name       = Flexible Renamer
CmdLine    = 16422,"%prog_dir%",FlexibleRenamer.exe
SubDir     = %flexyren%
WorkingDir = 16422,"%prog_dir%"
InfoTip    = Provides Extended File Renaming Capabilites.

[Strings]
prog_dir   = "Accessories\Utilities\FlexibleRename"
flexyren   = "Accessories\Utilities"

As I mentioned, I've been out of the loop for a while, so it's likely I've missed something, but I based the Ini/Inf on another addon that works perfectly. Renamed all the files, they do match the inf, in the hopes it was conflicting somehow, but with no change in results. Really annoying me now...

Thanks again for any help :D

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon May 31, 2010 7:20 am

I believe I've found the problem. The CAB file name in your INF is incorrect. Replace this...

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1="FlexyRen Files","[color=white]Flexy.cab[/color]",,"i386"
...with this...

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1="FlexyRen Files","[color=white]FlexyRen.cab[/color]",,"i386"
And make certain that the actual CAB file name in your package matches. ;)

Åmbrosius

Post by Åmbrosius » Mon May 31, 2010 8:17 pm

OMFG you've gotta be freaking kidding me :(
Well, that was a well spent weekend, and clearly the wrong one to choose to quit smoking.

That indeed did fix it, thanks a million 5eraph!!! The remnants of my hair thank you too. Cannot believe how many times I've read that sodding file without catching that.

Now to try redirect Kel's Uber pack one last time, if it doesn't work first time, I'll learn to live with it's default destinations and use the original. Well, no, I'll probably waste another week on it, then go slightly insane.

Thanks again 5eraph!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 pm

You're welcome.

I've had similar moments—looking for complex solutions when it's something simple staring me in the face. It helps me to walk away for a bit and come back with fresh eyes. But it's always nice to be able to borrow somebody else's eyes when I can't walk far enough away. OCD can make this kind of distance difficult to achieve.

You seem to have picked the perfect time to quit smoking. If you can keep yourself distracted for 48-72 hours then the physical addiction will have passed. It's all psychological conditioning after that. I quit cold turkey three years and two months ago by reading an enjoyable book and drinking lots of water. I haven't lit up since, except in dreams. I smoked for 15 years. :)