Vista Ultimate x64 Warning (BSOD with Over 2GB Ram)

Windows Vista Update Pack discussion.
nite0859

Vista Ultimate x64 Warning (BSOD with Over 2GB Ram)

Post by nite0859 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:26 am

Before you start banging your head against a wall, I want to point out that there has already been a good amount of discussion (complaints!) about the inability to install Vista x64 Ultimate Edition when there is over 2GB of RAM present. I believe many, many people are pointing the finger at Microsoft on this one.

I wonder if installing a nice patched up version of Vista will cure this problem. I'll post results here after I figure out how to Slipstream the latest hotfixes (December 2007) into a new Vista install CD.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:07 pm

As far as I've been able to research in the past twenty minutes, you only need to slipstream KB929777. Still, that's a very serious slip considering that fully half the reason to switch to an x64 OS is for extended memory support (4GB or more of physically mappable RAM; such as system RAM, graphics cards, etc.).

techtype

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 Warning (BSOD with Over 2GB Ram)

Post by techtype » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:14 pm

nite0859 wrote:Before you start banging your head against a wall, I want to point out that there has already been a good amount of discussion (complaints!) about the inability to install Vista x64 Ultimate Edition when there is over 2GB of RAM present. I believe many, many people are pointing the finger at Microsoft on this one.

I wonder if installing a nice patched up version of Vista will cure this problem. I'll post results here after I figure out how to Slipstream the latest hotfixes (December 2007) into a new Vista install CD.
Like so many complaints about Vista, this one is exaggerated. (Certainly some have verifiable problems as with any software) Being a born skeptic, I decided to install Vista64 Ultimate on my gigabyte p35-ds4 with 4 sticks of Crucial (4 gig) without pulling two sticks. Sure enough, it installed without a hiccup and recognized all the 4 gigs and has continued to run to this day with never a glitch let alone a BSOD. YMMV :D :D

nite0859

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 Warning (BSOD with Over 2GB Ram)

Post by nite0859 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:05 pm

techtype wrote:
nite0859 wrote:Before you start banging your head against a wall, I want to point out that there has already been a good amount of discussion (complaints!) about the inability to install Vista x64 Ultimate Edition when there is over 2GB of RAM present. I believe many, many people are pointing the finger at Microsoft on this one.

Like so many complaints about Vista, this one is exaggerated. (Certainly some have verifiable problems as with any software) Being a born skeptic, I decided to install Vista64 Ultimate on my gigabyte p35-ds4 with 4 sticks of Crucial (4 gig) without pulling two sticks. Sure enough, it installed without a hiccup and recognized all the 4 gigs and has continued to run to this day with never a glitch let alone a BSOD. YMMV :D :D
(Just Google terms like ::: Vista x64 RAM Boot ::: and you'll see that forums are flooded with these issues.)

This is what makes this problem so hard to deal with. Some people aren't having issues at all, while others are. It's not consistent enough. Right now, I just downloaded the Release Candidate for Vista x64 SP1.

Vista now recognizes 4GB. I did have to screw around with START -> RUN -> MSCONFIG -> BOOT -> ADVANCED -> MAX MEMORY.

[Sigh] The patch itself didn't work, but the Release Candidate Update Package did. Go figure that one. However, I still have 4GB to install (for a total of 8GB). I still get a BSOD with 8GB.

** I've been doing so much crap to my computer that I think I'm skewing the results. I don't know WHY I'm getting the results that I'm getting.

I need to start fresh. I attempted to install the update packs from here, but I guess I'm doing something wrong because I don't see an updated Vista .ISO file anyplace. I know that this is my fault because I'm not savvy when it comes to manipulating installation DVDs.

Therefore, I'm going to create an updated Vista x64 Ultimate using :: http://vistapacks.siginetsoftware.com/ .

As things progress, I'll repost here.

nite0859

Post by nite0859 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:35 am

Here is my hardware. All hardware was ordered from Newegg.

Total cost with shipping: $2,307.34

MB : MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
HD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
Arctic Silver : Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
OS : Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
CASE : Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
PSU : Rosewill RX950-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 950W Power Supply - Retail
RAM : G.SKILL 8GB(4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5Q-8GBPQ - Retail
KB : Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Retail
DVD : PLEXTOR 18X DVD±R Super Multi DVD Burner Black SATA Model PX-810SA/SW-BL - Retail
MONITOR : LG L226WTY-BF Black 22" 2ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
GRAPHICS : BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOC2E GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
CPU Cooling : ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

Procedure
After installing the OEM Vista that came with what I ordered, I read about the 4GB issue. Since I am using 4 x 2GB sticks of RAM, the OS would not install with all sticks present. Therefore, the OS was installed using only 1 stick (2GB) in Dimm Slot #1 -- the slot closest to the CPU.

In an effort to create a Vista DVD that had all of the hotfixes thus far already installed, I found that a user here had what I needed.

Downloaded the x64 Updates (v1.08; December 2007)from http://integrator.siginetsoftware.com/i ... dons&id=59 . I extracted the downloaded file, located the updates.

However, integration was beyond my level here. What made integration of the hotfixes a snap was vLite. The version of vLite I used was 1.1 RC. I simply told vLite where all those x64 hotfixes were, and it took care of everything for me. vLite even created and burned a new DVD image of Vista x64 with all the hotfixes present.

Now, after burning that DVD, I rebooted my PC and instructed the BIOS to boot from the DVD first. The DVD booted fine, and I began my installation of Vista all over again. I didn't want to take any chances, and installed Vista this time with 2GB as before.

Vista installed fine, and I used Windows Update to make sure everything was up to date. I rebooted. Next, I went to nVidia's website, and downloaded both nForce and GeForce Drivers.

I had to disable DEP in order to get the nVidia updates to install. DEP was killing setup.exe before it had a chance to install. A quick Google search for how to disable DEP showed me how to remove it. I had to reboot for it to take effect.

Now, I could install the latest nVidia (nForce and GeForce) drivers. All this went without a hitch (remember I'm still using 2GB Ram here), and I rebooted.

Now, all of my drivers have been updated; Windows update is satisfied, and now I was ready to install the rest of my ram. I shut down my PC, made sure all LEDs were off, and then put in the rest of my RAM.

Motherboard Bios Version : 1.4

After installing 8GB of RAM, the computer rebooted fine. BIOS Post indicated that all RAM was present (8192). However, Vista did not get beyond the scrolling bars on the inital loading screen. Vista froze up. ARGH! Ok, so I powered off my machine, and removed a stick of ram from DIMM slot #4 -- the slot furthest away from the CPU.

Now I rebooted with 6GB (6144) of ram, and Windows loaded. Everything seems fine.

Dimm slot 4? or Bad stick of Ram? Well, I have been rotating the sticks of RAM, and all ram appears fine!

Now, I'm experimenting with DIMM Slot 4. In other words, I know that DIMM slots 1,2,3 are working with any combination of ram. So now I need to try out 1,2,4 to isolate that particular DIMM slot. However, I still need to experiment with Bios Updates, and perhaps more Vista Updates.

I'll keep everyone posted.

nite0859

Post by nite0859 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:18 pm

As promised, here's the follow up.

I have all 8GB running, however, I had to lower the speed of the ram to 700 Mhz. Basically, what I did was install Cpu-Z when Vista was working on 3 sticks, and wrote down what the timings were. In the Bios, then, I changed the ram settings from automatic to manual, and used the settings that CPU-Z revealed to me whenever the ram was set to automatic.

Also, I disabled pretty much everything (such as spread spectrum stuff) I could (except for ACPI), and I set all settings to manual.

No overclocking, yet. :)

Now, the MB and the RAM claim that 800 Mhz is possible, however, this can wait 'till another day. Setting the RAM to 700 Mhz makes everything work for 8GB.

Later.

techtype

Post by techtype » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:42 pm

nite0859 wrote:As promised, here's the follow up.

I have all 8GB running, however, I had to lower the speed of the ram to 700 Mhz. Basically, what I did was install Cpu-Z when Vista was working on 3 sticks, and wrote down what the timings were. In the Bios, then, I changed the ram settings from automatic to manual, and used the settings that CPU-Z revealed to me whenever the ram was set to automatic.

Also, I disabled pretty much everything (such as spread spectrum stuff) I could (except for ACPI), and I set all settings to manual.

Now, the MB and the RAM claim that 800 Mhz is possible, however, this can wait 'till another day. Setting the RAM to 700 Mhz makes everything work for 8GB.

Later.
Raise the voltage on your ram to 1.9 first, but it may need 2.0. For somewhat complex reasons, 4 chips in dual channel mode require more voltage than 2 chips to perform at the same speed.

nite0859

Post by nite0859 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:17 pm

techtype wrote:
nite0859 wrote:As promised, here's the follow up.

Later.
Raise the voltage on your ram to 1.9 first, but it may need 2.0. For somewhat complex reasons, 4 chips in dual channel mode require more voltage than 2 chips to perform at the same speed.
Ok, I'll attempt to raise the voltage, and will post the results. The RAM says that it wants 1.8v-1.9v, ... you don't think I'll cook it at 2.0v or even 2.1v?

techtype

Post by techtype » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:26 pm

nite0859 wrote: Ok, I'll attempt to raise the voltage, and will post the results. The RAM says that it wants 1.8v-1.9v, ... you don't think I'll cook it at 2.0v or even 2.1v?
It's a very minor step to 2.1 by overclocker's standards. But, to be safe, check the reviews (for your ram) on Newegg and Google your ram for overclocking volts. Most of all, try to get success with 1.9 or 2.0 first!