Vlite integration help (OEM CD)

Windows Vista Update Pack discussion.

Vlite integration help (OEM CD)

Post by pen25jf » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:05 pm

I have a Vista basic OEM cd from Everex, which comes pre-installed with 3rd party software (for music, movie making, crap like that). Taking a look at the folders, maybe it's just me, but it looks loads different from the XP cd.

Can anyone "translate" which folders are which? Basically, as much as I loathe Vista, I was thinking if I can get rid of the 3rd party software and update it, maybe it will be worth another shot, but I dont want to screw it all up. So basic aim here is to remove everything NOT vista. If this was an XP CD, I'd look in the OEM folder, but I dont see any OEM folder!!!!

Sorry for the N00b question, and thanks in advance for any help!!

Post by Fox » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:23 pm

I can't say this is how they did it without seeing the disk but any oem folder should be under Sources/$OEM$ .

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Vista installs differently than XP or any Windows before it. It's more of a disc image which gets restored to your destination partition, and injected with the drivers your particular system requires. I don't know everything about it off the top of my head.

If you don't get what you'd like by manually editing the disc contents, I suggest vLite, by the same author as nLite. nLite is for Windows 2000/XP/2003 and vLite is for Vista and Server 2008. You can remove and add things to your Windows installations with these programs.

You can find it at http://www.vlite.net/. I use it for my Vista installs. I've never used it on an OEM Vista disc, but there's a chance that it will help you there.

"Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs", which is based on XP, also uses this install method. It's bizarre watching "XP" install in a different manner than I had for the past six years. :)

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 am

I don't know if anyone is still watching this post, but here's some experience I remember I had with nLite that might apply to vLite on this subject.

I had used nLite on a Dell OEM XP SP1 CD and through the process of slipstreaming, updating/integrating, removing some XP stuff and making unattended, that this disc would no longer install the stuff Dell added to the disc.

I suspect that the unattended portion was what might have conveniently "broken" that.

Hopefully vLite happens to do the same thing. I don't own a Vista OEM disc of any kind so I can't experiment. Of course hopefully Fox's statement helped pen25jf to remove what he wanted and vLite wasn't necessary.

Vlite integration help OEM CD

Post by GrahamSam » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am

I tried making them all have the same workgroup. It didnt help.
good mood