4 Plus GB ISO? And Vista Tool questions

Windows Vista Update Pack discussion.
Master Wolfe

4 Plus GB ISO? And Vista Tool questions

Post by Master Wolfe » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:15 pm

I've tried using VLite, Vista Integration Tool, and Vista Tool, and I believe another one. No matter how I go about it, after integrating any update pack, my images are in the 4.5 GB range. I am (supposedly) only applying and saving to one version, Home Premium x64, but still huge. Doesn't seem to matter whose update pack I try to use, and what else if anything I try to integrate. Initially using Vlite, even integrating SP1 was enlarging the image significantly, but got around that using Vista Update Integrator. Suggestions?

Also, Vista Tool.... It doesn't appear to do anything. I run as admin, boom boom boom very fast, but if I burn the image and use it to load, nothing is updated. Help with that?

muiz

Post by muiz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:11 pm

It doesnt matter from who the packs are, i gues they all contain the same updates.
And about the size , just save one if you only use one image.
So if you want to use Ultimate, save only Ultimate.
And try to find a Vista with SP1 already in it, not a slipstreamed version.
And if you do want to use a slipstreamed version, make sure you use the vsp1cl.exe on the ofline image to cleanup SP1 files ( This option makes SP1 permanent, so it cant be uninstalled anymore.)
But it will make it smaller.
just open a cmd and type : vsp1cln.exe /? to see the commands.
And Vista-tool works fine, if it goes realy fast, make sure you pointed it to the right wim number.
Try to mark the mount-RW first and hit start, go to your folder where its suppose to be mounted.
If the folder is empthy, you need to point the tool to the right wim number.
Normaly lets say Ultimate is wim number 4
If you have a DVD with only one image, lets say Ultimate again, then point the tool to wim number 1
I always do all settings in Vista-Tool one by one, and when i know all went fine, i mark unmount-commit.
And one other tip to make it smaller after use with Vista-Tool run it one more time with Vlite, and rebuild image, then it becommes also a bit smaller, Vlite does a cleanup, Vista_Tool does not.

I hope its a bit more clear, if not just ask.

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks. I thought I was only saving 1 image, Home Premium is the one I use. Unfortunately, I've not seen anything in the mount folder. I saw the step by step directions someone posted in another thread, and followed those exactly, I believe. However, I haven't seen the vspcln mentioned before. That may well be the problem.
I'll try running it by your method tomorrow. THANKS for your help, friend!

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:45 pm

OK, I'm playing with it now instead. My folder with SP1 w/o any updates is 3.68 GB. Is that about right? And where do I run the sp1 cleanup? I'm a bit unclear on that.

muiz

Post by muiz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:18 am

vsp1cln.exe is in your system32 folder (Vista SP1), so just open a cmd and type vsp1cln.exe /?

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:31 am

muiz wrote:vsp1cln.exe is in your system32 folder (Vista SP1), so just open a cmd and type vsp1cln.exe /?
But that doesn't help with the image before install, right? That's only on your machine after an SP1 is installed, as I see it. So it doesn't help reduce the image size for .iso to burn to a dvd.

And regarding my other thread, I believe I do have the latest WAIK installed. Not sure how often it is updated, but my version was downloaded from M/S roughly a month ago. So I'm getting really frustrated with this. I have tons of time on my hands right now, so I like playing with all of this, but I'm far from an expert. And I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. And other programs work, Vlite, Vista Integrator, but to be honest, I like yours best IF I can get it to work. Thanks for all your help, friend.

muiz

Post by muiz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 am

It sure helps , you need to aply it on the OFLINE image.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 09655.aspx

VSP1CLN.exe /o: Offline_Windows_directory_path

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:04 pm

OK, I think I may have found what I'm doing wrong. Does the copy of windows I'm updating etc. need to be done from an .iso, instead of just copying the files from the DVD? :oops: Might be obvious to many of you, but for an amateur like me, having done it one way with other o/s'es and programs... is that the answer that has eluded me?

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:39 pm

Master Wolfe wrote:OK, I think I may have found what I'm doing wrong. Does the copy of windows I'm updating etc. need to be done from an .iso, instead of just copying the files from the DVD? :oops: Might be obvious to many of you, but for an amateur like me, having done it one way with other o/s'es and programs... is that the answer that has eluded me?
That wasn't the answer. Can someone explain in "Vista for id10ts" (the idiot would be me :D) terms HOW to place the files from my Vista DVD into my working folder, please. I've enabled "show protected o/s files" "hidden files" and all that, copied the files from the dvd to a folder on my hard drive, and that didn't work. BUT, if I use 7-zip to extract the files from an .iso, leaving the .iso in the same folder, THAT seems to work. What am I missing?

muiz

Post by muiz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Mount the iso, and copy the files to a folder like : D:\Vista (example)

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:25 pm

muiz wrote:Mount the iso, and copy the files to a folder like : D:\Vista (example)
Thanks for all your help, but I just cannot seem to get Vista-Tool to work consistently enough to make it worth my while. Going to go with VUI and/or VLite, I think.

Fox

Post by Fox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 pm

Be careful with vLite and drivers!!! I use VUI and yea it takes a little while but it's never disappointed me. I was using WAIK but it just takes too damn long. Also, if you use either vLite or VUI, make sure all the drivers are signed or you'll pay for it on the install. I've grown to hate Realtek and a couple other select smaller companies for not telling you if a driver is WHQL or not.I don't understand why 4 letters are so difficult to print. Also, I don't know what VUI does differently than vLite, but I make an image with the 4 versions that I use for my business and VUI makes a smaller install.wim with 4 versions than vLite makes with one version. For those who don't know what it is, this is it. It hasn't been updated in a long time so I doubt it will be SP2 compatible, but it works well for now.

muiz

Post by muiz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:39 am

VUI does only work for a Vista without SP1, after it is SP1, it doesnt work anymore.
And Vista-Tool works for both.
And works consistently, if not, somethings wrong at your end im afraid.

Master Wolfe

Post by Master Wolfe » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:33 am

muiz wrote:VUI does only work for a Vista without SP1, after it is SP1, it doesnt work anymore.
I hate to be disagreeable, but VUI does work with SP1. And both Vlite and VUI work consistently with the folders etc which I am working with. Still trying to pin down the size issue, but getting a handle on that, slowly but surely. Just seems like your tool works sometimes, sometimes not. Perhaps it is just not intuitive enough for my dumb butt :) but everything else works.

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:55 am

Muiz wrote: And works consistently, if not, somethings wrong at your end im afraid.
Master Wolfe wrote:Just seems like your tool works sometimes, sometimes not.
The reason for this could be due to some updates not being campattible with all of the images therefore peimg will fail and you have a corrupted image.

It confirms this in WAIK Documentation.

muiz

Post by muiz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:15 am

Well it works fine at my end, en every time, and i use it daily.
Im 100% sure there is something wrong on your end when it fails.
No offence.

Fox

Post by Fox » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:39 pm

muiz wrote:VUI does only work for a Vista without SP1, after it is SP1, it doesnt work anymore.
No offense from my end either, but why would you say that VUI only works for pre-sp1? It even has a switch to integrate SP1. I'll be honest and say that I have never used VUI or even vLite to integrate SP1 because it seems to be an incredible waste of time if you already have an SP1 image in hand. With that said, all I can find faulty with VUI is it won't slipstream that stupid Tinker game on Ultimate. I was assuming it was because of the missing DirectX dependency, but even WAIK integrates it. Maybe WAIK checks for it on the machine it's being integrated from, who knows.

** Off topic: Can someone make an integrator that actually cleans the uninstaller files out? Ryan's pack doesn't give you the uninstall option so it's lighter and in my opinion cleaner. CCleaner used to have that option so I know he knows how to do it but chose to discontinue it. No matter whose pack you use or what method of integration, why are we keeping uninstall files for things that will never be uninstalled?

saint-francis

Post by saint-francis » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:49 am

muiz wrote:It sure helps , you need to aply it on the OFLINE image.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 09655.aspx

VSP1CLN.exe /o: Offline_Windows_directory_path
I read that article and I'm not clear on what "offline image" means. Does this mean that after everything is done with vlite and vista tool and you have a finalized .iso you run this command and point it to said .iso to clean up the left over files from slipping sp1?

So you would run a cms that would look something like "VSP1CLN.exe /o: C:\VISTAWORK\ISO\new.iso"?

muiz

Post by muiz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 am

Ofline image means , the folder where your install.wim is mounted.

VSP1CLN.exe /o:I:\VistaWork\mount\Windows

hades

Post by hades » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:14 am

How do i know if my vista x64 dvd with sp1 is a slipstreamed version or one with SP1 already in it?

Tks..

muiz

Post by muiz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:45 pm

I realy dont know, sorry

wrx2.5

Post by wrx2.5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:41 am

muiz wrote:Mount the iso, and copy the files to a folder like : D:\Vista (example)
Muiz could you please explain what the difference would be in regards to mounting an ISO image then ripping the files and copying the file straight off the OS DVD ??

muiz

Post by muiz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:00 am

Mounting an iso image or mounting a install.wim are 2 different things.
First unpack the whole dvd to a folder.
In that folder is another folder called : sources, there you will find install.wim.
Thats the one u need to mount with Vista-Tool