Vista Install size?

Windows Vista Update Pack discussion.
Darkjeste

Vista Install size?

Post by Darkjeste » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:51 pm

Well this is kinda strange,I had a Vista x64 ultimate cd already made that was 4.3 gigs and had OCT updates on it and when installed it was like 8 or 9 gigs total.

Now I chose to make another disc with the Dec. updates on it and also reduced the size by about a gig or so around there but when I install windows fresh it comes in just over 13gb's total.

I do have enough room for this and it's not a big deal i guess but I am just wondering how the hell the size can actually increase by over 4 gigs when the disc was reduced by over a gig?

muiz

Post by muiz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:41 pm

With what you slipstreamed your hotfixes etc?

Darkjeste

Post by Darkjeste » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:56 pm

I used Vlite to add them as I did not think the intergrator worked wth vista.

I may have found the problem but not sure,I think using the updated Vista Sp1 disc with october updates already on it and then using fox's pack there were alot of updates that got copied over twice.

Maybe this messed with the size somehow so this time when i added them quite a few fixes come up in a yellow color that I did not notice before and it looked like all of them were already on that disc so i took them out.

Will try later or tomorrow and see what it says for space required for install.

muiz

Post by muiz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 am

Cant help you with Vlite and Fox his packs , im sorry.

buttwipe

Shaving 1GB from your install disk

Post by buttwipe » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:10 pm

You can delete all of the language files that you don't use. Since I speak English, I delete all of the following directories in the 'Boot' direcotry on the root of the DVD:
1. de-de
2. es-es
3. fr-fr
4. ja-jp

I also delete the language files 'efi\microsoft\boot\fonts':
1. chs_boot.ttf
2. cht_boot.ttf
3. jpn_boot.ttf
4. kor_boot.tff

I delete the entire 'Language Packs' directory.

In the 'Source' directory, go through all of the directories deleting any language files\directories you can (There are a lot).

There are also more language files in the 'support\migwiz' directory. Personally, I delete the entire 'Support' directory.

You can delete the 'Upgrade' directory as well although I leave it there.

In doing all of this, you can trim over 1GB of files off your install disk\.iso.

Cheers[/i][/b]

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:39 pm

you can also delete the natural language files if you dont use this component as these weigh about 2GB