Suggestion for Vista Tool or any other Vista integration app

Windows Vista Update Pack discussion.
Fragbert

Suggestion for Vista Tool or any other Vista integration app - WIM size

Post by Fragbert » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:14 pm

One crucial thing that Vista Tool, VLite, etc, has yet to address is WIM sizes.

For example with Vista Tool if somebody has a version of Vista that can use ALL of muiz's update packs (update pack, ultimate extras, MCE, etc) plus all of the vista driver packs - you get an install.wim that is over 4GB even when slimmed down to just one version inside (using VLite). The built in ISO maker of Vista Tools can not work with any file bigger than 4GB and the result is no ISO created. No error is given or logged other than a half second DOS window flashing.

I sluethed around and discovered there is a command (Imagex /Split) in the WAIK tools to divide up your install.wim into multiple files for file size compatibility and this finally gets my 7GB ISO to work when installing.

So it would be nice if these front end GUIs that make calls to WAIK could utilize this command. :)

The latest WAIK has its own ISO builder tool updated supposedly to fix the >4GB issue but I have not seen a documented success posted yet.

I've been re-reading constantly the unattended vista guide posted here http://firegeier.unattended-sponsor.de/en/sitemap.html as this IMO is the only thorough guide on unattended vista out there. The guide is great in that it helps me understand what these Vista front end tools are actually trying to do and fills in the gaps where I wish there was more supplied documentation.

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 pm

There is also the documentation that comes with WAIK, WOPK.

That is why using WAIK or WOPK direct is the best method. Even though these vista tools use WAIK, they are set commands so will not work in all circumstances. As for iso 4gb problem see this site.

Code: Select all

-m
 Ignores the maximum size limit of an image.

-maxsize:limit
 Overrides the default maximum size of an image. The default value is a 74-minute CD, unless UDF is used, in which case, the default is that there is no maximum size. The limit value is specified in megabytes (MB). For example, -maxsize:4096 limits the image to 4096 MB. 

The -m option cannot be used with this option

OSCDIMG Command-Line Options

muiz

Post by muiz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:56 am

We already know about this, but thx anyway ;)

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 am

So I assume this is on the "todo" list? :)

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:18 am

muiz wrote:We already know about this, but thx anyway ;)
i was just saying that it is easier in my oppinion to do it the original way.

all the vista tools etc have failed to what i needed to do at the time and using WAIK directly solved the arrised problems.
Fragbert wrote:So I assume this is on the "todo" list?
probably not as not all isos are the same size so will probs be best to do iso yourself.

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 pm

electrogen wrote:
Fragbert wrote:So I assume this is on the "todo" list?
probably not as not all isos are the same size so will probs be best to do iso yourself.
You misunderstand the feature request. I'm not talking about ISOs, I'm talking about the size of the install.wim in the ISO. And 100% of people who use all the update packs and driver packs offered will have an install.wim larger than 4GB no matter the Vista version, so the wim splitter is an essential tool.