Vista Integration Onto Dual Layer DVD?

Windows Vista Update Pack discussion.
Siginet
Site Admin

Vista Integration Onto Dual Layer DVD?

Post by Siginet » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:09 am

I am about to do a Vista Integration using all of the packs in Muiz's post.

I want to do this all using Vista-Tool.

I am sure my final ISO will need to be burned to a DL DVD right?

I read about the 4GB ISO limitation. Plus someone mentioned that you can split the wim file. Is this now done in Vista-Tool automatically? Or will I need to do something afterwards?

I want to integrate an All In One DVD which has all Vista Editions on it including x86 and x64.

Is this possible.. or am I dreaming?

Many Thank Yous to muiz, Jan and everyone else involved with Vista-Tool and the Vista Packs!

BTW... is there much progress on integrating third party utilities or reg tweaks too?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 am

Here a couple more questions.

1. Do I need to extract all of the packs into the certain directories. Like extract the updatepack to the HOTFIXES folder, Extract DriverPacks into my DRIVERS folder and so on? Or does vista-tool recognize them inside the 7z files? If I need to extract them will Vista-Tool recognize everything extracted in subdirectories?

2. Where do I place the dotnet pack? Is it considered a hotfix? I also noticed a text file that states to run an exe with a silent parameter. Where do I specify this?

3. Where do I add the The Media Center TV Pack?

4. What exactly are the language packs for?

5. How do I slipstream SP1 with Vista-Tool?

To be honest I am practically a complete newbie when it comes to vista integrations. Hence the stupid questions. ;) Everytime I seem to spark an interest in Vista Integration it seems to quickly fade away due to the fact that most people I meet / deal with still hate Vista very much. But I am beginning to see more and more of Vista since Microsoft has forced the world to use it. So I think it is time for me to finally take the plunge.

If possible I'd like people to explain in detail exactly how to use Vista-Tool to do everything it can do.

I'd like to update my thread to basically be an FAQ for Vista-Tool and Integrating with it. I'm sure many of my questions are answered somewhere on the forums... but I haven't taken the time to search through them much. I think it will be much better if I can create an FAQ for everyone right here in this thread.

Thanks!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:26 am

Siginet wrote: I read about the 4GB ISO limitation. Plus someone mentioned that you can split the wim file. Is this now done in Vista-Tool automatically? Or will I need to do something afterwards?
There is a 4GB iso limitation, you can split wims but as far as i know it cant be done with "Vista-Tool" You would need to use "Imagex"
Siginet wrote: I want to integrate an All In One DVD which has all Vista Editions on it including x86 and x64.
Is this possible.. or am I dreaming?
Yes this is possible. Use the IMAGEX /EXPORT switch

Siginet wrote: 1. Do I need to extract all of the packs into the certain directories. Like extract the updatepack to the HOTFIXES folder, Extract DriverPacks into my DRIVERS folder and so on? Or does vista-tool recognize them inside the 7z files? If I need to extract them will Vista-Tool recognize everything extracted in subdirectories?
All the Cab's need to be in the same folder, Drivers in another folder
Siginet wrote: 2. Where do I place the dotnet pack? Is it considered a hotfix? I also noticed a text file that states to run an exe with a silent parameter. Where do I specify this?
The .net goes in the same folder as the cabs
Siginet wrote:
3. Where do I add the The Media Center TV Pack?
the same folder as the cabs
Siginet wrote: 4. What exactly are the language packs for?
Language packs are the locale for each country &/or language. If you only intend to use 1 language these arent needed. (Take up too many resources to do so, and bout a day to do one Image)
Siginet wrote: 5. How do I slipstream SP1 with Vista-Tool?
you cant, u need vlite

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:55 am

electrogen wrote:
Siginet wrote:5. How do I slipstream SP1 with Vista-Tool?
you cant, u need vlite
You cannt slipstrem SP1 into Vista by vLite. There are method known as "reversed integration": installing Vista, update by SP1, pack by imagex, but better variant - download MSDN ISO with SP1 inside.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:04 am

There is a 4GB iso limitation, you can split wims but as far as i know it cant be done with "Vista-Tool" You would need to use "Imagex"
Could someone give me some instructions on how this is performed?

Can I use Vista tool to create my finished product and then use Imagex to split the needed files before I create my iso?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Siginet wrote:
Could someone give me some instructions on how this is performed?

Can I use Vista tool to create my finished product and then use Imagex to split the needed files before I create my iso?
imagex /split image_filedest_filesize {/check}
Splits an existing .wim file into multiple read-only split .wim files (.swm).

Important
You must run this option from Windows PE.

image_file

Specifies the name and location of the .wim file to split.

dest_file

Specifies the file path of the split files.

size

Specifies the maximum size in megabytes (MB) for each created file.

This option generates the .swm files into the specified directory, naming each file the same as the specified image_file, but with an appended number and the .swm file-name extension. For example, if you choose to split a file named Data.wim, this option creates a Data.swm file, a Data2.swm file, a Data3.swm file, and so on, defining each portion of the split .wim file.

You can also set the following option:

/check

Checks the integrity of the .wim file. If not provided, existing checks are removed.

For example,

imagex /split d:\imaging\data.wim 600

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Pasha_ZZZ wrote:
electrogen wrote:
you cant, u need vlite
You cannt slipstrem SP1 into Vista by vLite. There are method known as "reversed integration": installing Vista, update by SP1, pack by imagex, but better variant - download MSDN ISO with SP1 inside.
It can be done with vlite
http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorial ... ated/2750/

i have done it myself

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Thenks electrogen. :)
Important
You must run this option from Windows PE.
So imagex can only be used in a PE environment to split wim files? That sounds kind of odd... or am I misunderstanding?

So it seems we are getting mixed answers about slipstreaming SP1.

If I use vLite to slipstream SP1 does it do a true slipstream. Overwriting older files and so on? Or does it do like a stupid microsoft integrate and place the sp executable into the install and increase the size of the disk tremendously? What is the filesize differences between a vLite slipstreamed SP1 and an MSDN ISO with SP1?

Please everyone keep adding your tips and ideas on these matters. I want to turn this into a good FAQ that we can sticky.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:51 am

You can do i true slip with vlite and VUI (Vista Update Integrator). But Microsoft says it cant be done properly.
Also if you have a legal version ov vista RTM you can download Vista SP1 ISO DVD and use your legit Serial Key

Imagex can only be used in windows PE but i have never had any problems.
Also Vlite offers you the chance to split wims

L2P2C2

Post by L2P2C2 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:29 am

I have a VISTA SP0 OEM DVD. Can I d/l a VISTA SP1 DVD, and use my serial with it?
When I install with my OEM disc, VISTA is automatically activated, so I quess it probably isn't possible.

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 pm

electrogen wrote:It can be done with vlite
http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorial ... ated/2750/
But from vLite site - "...Of course it is always better to either capture or get a preintegrated DVD because MS said that integrating is not recommended before SP2 is out..."

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Wave 0 SP2 (5 languages) will be at the end of April. Then SP1 will be some obsolete...

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:04 pm

Pasha_ZZZ wrote:But from vLite site - "...Of course it is always better to either capture or get a preintegrated DVD because MS said that integrating is not recommended before SP2 is out..."
Oh yeah of course it is better to get a pre-slipped disc
Pasha_ZZZ wrote: Wave 0 SP2 (5 languages) will be at the end of April. Then SP1 will be some obsolete...
Not true. in order to have SP2, you need SP1

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:04 pm

Although I have not tried it, I've read reports that SP2 cannot be installed on a system that was installed with a vlite-integrated SP1 disc. I've also read that SP2 will slipstream to a SP1-MSDN disc (but not vlite'd) without any 3rd-party tools needed.
Neowin
MaximumPC
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:30 pm

@electrogen Another question about splitting wims...

If I split the wim files.. does that mean I have to have it spanned across multiple disks? Or can I keep the split wims all on the same DVD?
Not true. in order to have SP2, you need SP1
That kind of contradicts microsoft stating that sp1 cannot properly be slipstreamed though doesn't it? So now they will ask us to slipstream SP1 (even though they don't reccommend it) and then slipstream SP2?

Man... that would take like 3 hrs or so wouldn't it??

I'm really not liking the Vista integration process. :( Way too time consuming.

Here's another question...

Since the Vista DriverPacks are extracted and added to the wim file... I assume that the wim is compressed? Do you think it would save more space if we kept the driverpacks compressed in .7z files and executed the driver install at Runonce? I think that would save some space... especially if they are kept outside of the wim file and people add multiple Vista Editions to their disk.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:21 am

Siginet wrote:That kind of contradicts microsoft stating that sp1 cannot properly be slipstreamed though doesn't it? So now they will ask us to slipstream SP1 (even though they don't reccommend it) and then slipstream SP2?
Credit to mr_smartepants links above.

Details on Windows Vista SP2 emerge:
The reason why the file size is so much smaller then SP1 is that SP2 will require SP1 to be installed before upgrading and this is something Microsoft intends to carry through to the final product. This is a departure from Microsoft's past service pack philosophy that was used in Windows XP and Windows 2000, where each new package included all of the fixes from the previous versions.
and from maximumpc:
Having a cumulative SP2 that includes the updates from SP1 would have made the size too large...in the consumer space the majority of customers have already installed SP1 over WU or will be doing so before SP2, so incorporating SP1 into a cumulative SP2 would take unnecessary time and bandwidth.
and
Because SP2 RC does not include SP1 files, you cannot install SP2 RC to a Vista SP1 system that's been streamlined with vLite.

However, you're OK if you used vLite only to simplify installation or to slipstream Vista SP1 files with original Vista. If you used vLite to remove some Vista components, you'll need to reinstall Vista (and SP1) before you can upgrade to SP2 RC.
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64