How to "slipstream" a wallpaper instead vista defa

Windows Vista Update Pack discussion.
iamnobody

How to "slipstream" a wallpaper instead vista default

Post by iamnobody » Mon May 25, 2009 11:01 am

Dear All!

I try to make myself an up to date Vista x86, with hotfixes, few drivers, and like to integrate Hungarian language. I also like to have a custom welcome screen, few gadgets and wallpapers.

I was read Ryan's guide several times carefully, and following his advice, but I had no success. I was made the hole process like 10-15 times or more and it won't even boot.

I don't understand a few things inside Ryan's guide.

- "Remove the files marked on this screenshot, they are not needed."
"In there you will see a folder called "Sources"
Remove everything inside, exept "boot.wim" & "install.wim"

But why?! And when I'm finish the hole process where will be the setup.exe and the others?! (I was made one(!) working Vista, but it only works cause I copy the removed files(setup.exe, etc.) back to it's original position)

- "Now open a working bootable Vista ISO on your pc , in this case the x64 version.Remove all the vista dvd files you see there.And browse to your VistaDVD source folder and fill it up with that."

I totally don't understand why to do that instead of make an ISO directly from VistaDVD folder.

I only had one(!), which is working, but it won't had the language pack, and only few hotfixes was integrated, and after I do everything what's in Ryan's guide, I was replace the original Vista files what I removed in step 1.

Here's how I do:

1. Unpack my original Vista(it's an Ultimate version, x86 and x64, with already integrated SP1) to VistaDVDx86 folder.

2. Remove the files what Ryan said.

3. Open vLite, choose x86 version, applying few tweaks and"Rebuild one".

4. Open Vista-Tool, set my folders and "Mount-RW"

5. I then copy into the MOUNT folder the custom welcome-screen file(\Windows\System32\imageres.dll), the custom gadgets(Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets), the custom wallpapers(Windows\Web\wallpaper) and the custom theme file(Windows\Resources\Themes)

6."Integrate Hotfix" then I press start

7. when it's done "Unmount-Commit" and press start

8. Like Ryan said I load into vLite again, but now I don't remove anything, cause maybe that's why it isn't working, so I usually integrate the language pack at this point and/or fill the "Unattended setup" menu in vLite [I ALSO TRY THAT I DON'T DO THIS AT ALL, AND LEAVE THE HOLE STEP 8 AND GO TO STEP 9]

9. I do that ISO stuff what I don't understand or leave it sometimes cause it's only for to make a "backup" ISO without drivers.

10. Vista-Tool -> "Mount-RW" -> Start
11. "Integrate Drivers" -> Start
12. When it's finish "Unmount-Commit" -> Start

13. Ryan said at this point: "Now make an iso out of it with a tool like "UltraIso" and your done." I don't even have setup.exe, etc. I don't understand how it's going to work, but I make the ISO write into a DVD, and yupp it won't boot or do anything.

14. So that's why I copied back the removed files(step 2) to my VistaDVDx86 folder and it was work one time. I had setup exe, etc., I was able to boot from it, I had drivers in the installed OS, I had hotfix in it, I had my custom welcome-screen and gadgets, etc. The only problem was that I don't had the language pack on it and I only integrate few hotfix just to try out the hole thing works or not.

If I copy back the original files, I can create "$OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes" to make my theme default(!) not just installed. Don't know, never happend it before, I just follow a few other guides to make the gadgets default not just installed so as the theme. Sometimes I was edit Autounattended.xml and put a string in it like:

</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SidebarOnByDefault>false</SidebarOnByDefault>
<Gadget1>%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\SlideShow.gadget,true</Gadget1>
<Gadget3>%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\Calendar.gadget,true</Gadget3>
<Gadget5>%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\RSS.Gadget,false</Gadget5>
<Gadget4>%PROGRAMFILES%\windows sidebar\gadgets\PicturePuzzle.gadget,true</Gadget4>
</component>

But not everytime, so I don't think that's why I cannot make a bootable ISO.

Anyone have any idea what do I do wrong? Someone please help me cause I'm start to get insane about it. I do this about 2 weeks now and only had one working, and I don't know why it's working and the others why not.

Maybe the problem is that I have an already "modded" Vista with SP1 and x86-x64 integrated?!

Thank You for reading this!

Best Regards,
iamnobody
Last edited by iamnobody on Wed May 27, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon May 25, 2009 11:16 am

Maybe the problem is that I have an already "modded" Vista with SP1 and x86-x64 integrated?!
YUP :rolleyes:

iamnobody

Post by iamnobody » Wed May 27, 2009 9:08 am

Thank You for your fast reply, m8!

Okay, I get myself an OEM Vista and hope this time it's gonna work.

I still have my question, that what happend to the removed files? What about setup.exe, etc.. I think I need to put my theme file into \OEM\$$\Resources\Themes but I don't have this folder if I removed everything from "Sources" folder..

Is this method is okay?:

1. slipstream SP1 - vLite
2. slipstream Language pack - vLite
3. integrate Hotfix - Vista-Tool
4. integrate Drivers - Vista-Tool
5. make some Tweak and Unattend setup with vLite
6. Add some custom files[wallpapers, theme, imageres.dll(welcome screen)]
7. Make a bootable iso with Vista-Tools or vLite

In the next few days I will try this out, and I hope I can make finaly a working unattended Vista. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks for reading!

Best Regards,
iamnobody

iamnobody

Post by iamnobody » Wed May 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Hmm, it works better now..!

Anyone can tell me one more thing: How can I "slipstream" a custom wallpaper to Vista unattended dvd. I can copy to \windows\web\wallpapers, but how to make it default. How to make vista to load my wallpaper instead of the original?

Or should I use theme file?!

Please let me know!

Thank You!

Best Regards,
iamnobody

iamnobody

Post by iamnobody » Thu May 28, 2009 10:33 am

..someone please help!

I only need this info right now, and I can make my unattended as I like!

I sure You Guys know how to change the default wallpaper to my favorit one!

I search a lot in google to find out how to do that, but don't find any usable info.

Thank You!