Vista SP2 Update Pack + WPI config (October 2010)

Windows Vista Update Pack discussion.
EneergE

Vista SP2 Update Pack + WPI config (October 2010)

Post by EneergE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:11 am

Last Updated: October 15, 2010

I've been working the past few days on a Windows Vista SP2 image that was fully updated and had no updates post install. I needed this because I do installs every day on multiple computers. I've worked through several ideas and possible solutions, but now I finally found one that works fairly well.

Using freely available tools I've made a completely updated install, including all DotNet and its security updates. This solution integrates most of the updates into the image, and the ones that cannot be integrated are automatically installed without user intervention using WPI. After installing, it calls sysprep so that the computer user information can be configured.

So here's just a step-by-step solution for those who don't want to experiment around like I've been doing.

I've tested it on a couple machines and it seems to work. However, I did notice one minor hick-up on a virtual machine install where the WPI pass tried to run twice for some reason. I just opened task manager, closed it out, rebooted, and the virtual machine worked just fine, fully updated and all. EDIT: I believe this was related to the sysprep calling reboot in the middle of the WPI installation. I removed the reboot switch and just initiated a reboot in WPI directly.

Summary:
Windows Vista SP2 Image - To integrate to
vLite - To integrate MSU updates
WPI - Installs remaining updates and runs sysprep. Just download my WPI package that includes the updates.
Update Pack - All updates to October 2010
Steps:

1) Extract the contents of your Vista SP2 ISO to "C:\VImage\"

2) Download this WPI Update pack. This is a rather large download because, this includes the SetupComplete.cmd script and the WPI config and the post-install updates. The main update in this pack is DotNet 3.5 SP1 (~250MB). Both x86 and x64.
Version 1.0 : Oct 15, 2010

WPI Part 1 - 176.43MB
WPI Part 2 - 176.43MB
WPI Part 3 - 152.87MB

or download the folder:
Folder

3) Extract the contents of the WPI Update Pack downloaded from the previous step to the root of your installation path. If you're following this example, extract to: "C:\VImage"
This will setup a global post-install of dotnet updates and DirectX immediately after installation. It does not matter how many versions of Windows you have on your image. This will run on them all.

4) Download this update pack and extract it to "C:\MSUpdates".
Version 1.0 : Oct 15, 2010

x86 :
Part 1 (166MB) | Part 2 (91MB) | or you can download the folder: Folder
mirrors: Part 1 | Part2

x64 : Part 1 (166MB) | Part 2 (166MB) | Part 3 (40.6MB) | or you can download the folder: Folder
mirrors: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

5) Open vLite and point it to your image. "C:\VImage". Choose whatever index/version you want to integrate to.
NOTE: If you have multiple versions of windows in a single image, then you'll have to integrate the updates into all versions and "Rebuild All". This is very time consuming, especially if you have 4+ images like I have. Also, if you would like to delete a version from your image, you can use imagex /delete.

6) Select all options to Integrate, Components, Tweaks, Unattended Setup, Bootable ISO

7) On the "Integration:Hotfixes" tab, tick "Enable" and insert all MSU updates downloaded previously that were extracted to "C:\MSUpdates"

8) On the next tab, remove any components you'd like. Preferably, remove all languages unless you need them.

9) On the next tab, Tweaks, be sure to disable UAC. Otherwise, the WPI configuration may not work correctly.

10) On the next tab, enter a Full Name, Computer Name, Network Location, and be sure to SKIP USER CREATION with no password. .
If you have multiple images, don't input a product key and that way you will have the ability to select the version you want to install. Accept EULA.

11) Apply.

12) Build ISO

Please let me know if there's anyway I can improve on this. I'm thinking about making a little application to autoget the updates from Microsoft's website so that we don't have to rely on Third Party download locations. This would probably be faster. Also, there's probably a way to cut the WPI updates in half. That 250MB DotNet SP1 file seems rather large.

FIXES TO KNOWN ISSUES:
1) After integrating updates in vLite, the WIM image may be larger than 4 gigs. When this occurs, the Setup will be unable to proceed because it's unable to read the image. To fix this, you need to either create the image outside of vLite using UDF, or split the WIM to read-only SWM files.

Steps to split the wim (for 64 bit):
- Open command prompt, Start->cmd
- Type: cd "%programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64"
- Type: imagex /split "C:\VImage\sources\install.wim" "C:\VImage\sources\install.swm" 4096 /check
- Type: del "C:\VImage\sources\install.wim"

Steps to split the wim (for 32 bit):
- Open command prompt, Start->cmd
- Type: cd "%programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\x86"
- Type: imagex /split "C:\VImage\sources\install.wim" "C:\VImage\sources\install.swm" 4096 /check
- Type: del "C:\VImage\sources\install.wim"

Now try to create the ISO in vLite. This time ignore the 4GB warning if it appears.

2) Two updates fail during WPI. Oops, I need to remove those from the pack. This won't negatively affect your install. :-)
Last edited by EneergE on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:27 am, edited 18 times in total.

RicaNeaga

Post by RicaNeaga » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:21 pm

If you'll have the time to upload those packs in the next 24 hours. I'll be very happy... the day after tommorow I'll be installing vista home premium sp2 on my brother's pc.

And one question: If your pack is consisting of all the updatepacks for vista ultimate, and I want only to install Home premium, is vlite smart enough to retain only the needed updates for home premium? Or it doesn't matter, because during windows installation only the needed updates are beeing patched to the system?

EneergE

Post by EneergE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:09 pm

RicaNeaga wrote:If you'll have the time to upload those packs in the next 24 hours. I'll be very happy... the day after tommorow I'll be installing vista home premium sp2 on my brother's pc.

And one question: If your pack is consisting of all the updatepacks for vista ultimate, and I want only to install Home premium, is vlite smart enough to retain only the needed updates for home premium? Or it doesn't matter, because during windows installation only the needed updates are beeing patched to the system?
This "update pack" is just basically a collection of updates I've downloaded from Microsoft. I've removed updates that were superseded by newer ones. I've tested it on Windows Vista Business, Home Premium, and Ultimate x86. All three are fully updated afterwards and no abnormal side-effects that I've seen yet. It just takes forever to install.

RicaNeaga

Post by RicaNeaga » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Ok, thank you for your answer. :)

One more question (I want to be very sure how this works): If I choose to remove let's say Windows Defender (in vlite), and your packs includes 2-3 updates for it... what happens to those ,,unwanted" updates? Can I assume there is a posibility that somehow those useless updates can end up on my system after all?

I hope that after reading these questions you'll update your first post, because I think you should elaborate more on the following assertion for all the noobs out there...
the ones that cannot be integrated are automatically installed without user intervention using WPI. After installing, it calls sysprep so that the computer user information can be configured.

EneergE

Post by EneergE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 pm

I don't have any updates included for Windows Defender. Also, vLite integrates updates before it does the removal process. Even if one was included, I don't think the updates would break anything. vLite has no knowledge of the updates that post-install.

WPI is an application that can install applications, and in this case, updates, after the OS has completely installed. Since some updates are in EXE format, rather than MSU format, it's not trivial to integrate them. For this reason, I'm using WPI to run the EXE updates using their silent installer switches. This way, if you leave the machine unattended, it will still install whatever software you need it to without you telling it to do so. When you return to the machine, it will be completely updated so you won't have to run Windows Update. You can read up on WPI here

If you don't care about the unattended portion or you just need to have a running system as soon as possible, you can just download the update packs and integrate them with vLite and obtain the DotNet 4 and Dotnet 3.5 updates from Windows Update after you complete the install.

The sole reason I'm including the WPI update pack is to have a fully updated machine that should not have to connect to Windows Update after installed. This is beneficial if you have multiple computers you have to install to and you don't have time to run Windows Update on them all. Without the WPI update pack, you're looking at about 100 megs of priority updates you have to obtain afterwards on Windows Update.

Later, I'm probably going to make a WPI pack that also includes updated Flash, Java, and Firefox, since those three items are pretty much on every computer now days anyway.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 pm

You do know that WPI has MANY was of checking to see if a fix is actually needed or not, right?

Go over your WPI config and build in some regchecks to see if a feature is actually still there or not.

RicaNeaga

Post by RicaNeaga » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:32 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:You do know that WPI has MANY was of checking to see if a fix is actually needed or not, right?

Go over your WPI config and build in some regchecks to see if a feature is actually still there or not.
That was my point. Windows Defender was only an example. I also won't integrate the remote registry feature, for which I'm pretty sure vista has tons of updates.

I just wanted to be sure that if I remove ANYTHING via vlite, your pack will make sure that those updates (that are being silently installed) are really needed for my system or not. And if they aren't, they won't be installed.

And sorry for not mentioning this earlier... thank you for sharing your solution! I hope you'll just have the time to make it a little better. :)

LE: BTW, the size of those updates ain't a problem for me, since I remove the images of vista that aren't needed and at least the languages.

swany971

Post by swany971 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks EneergE for creating this pack. I'm always doing re-installs of Vista, and this would save me tons of time. Unfortunatetely having a problem getting it to work. I start out with a clean Vista SP2 ISO and tried to follow all of the steps. When Vlite asked which OS to configure, I selected Home Premium since that's the only version I want. Then added the MS updates, and configured it for unattended install. Clicked "Rebuild One" in Vlite. The only thing I did differently was instead of having Vlite create a bootable ISO, I used PowerISO. I've done it that way before when I followed Muiz guide for Vista-tool.

So I test in VM. The Vista unattended installation begins normally, only prompting me to format the drive, and reboots itself a couple times. But then I get a screen asking me for the product key, user name, computer name, time zone. Some of my info such as time zone was already filled into the box. So, I'm not sure why it's not filling all that in for me. I checked to be sure the autounattend.xml is in my ISO. Next, it looks like the WPI kicks in. (Next part is a little fuzzy since I've tried this a few different times) I walked away, and when I came back it was asking me for product key, user name, time zone all over again. Also I looked at the top of WPI window it said something about .NET Framework Maintenance ... repairing .NET Framework 3.5.

Any ideas on where I'm going wrong? If I can give you more info, lmk. Thanks!