Windows 2000

Windows 2000 Professional Update Pack discussion.
codejunkie

Windows 2000

Post by codejunkie » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:06 am

I wouldnt like to be the one making a update pack for Windows 2000 theres dame site more patches for 2000 than XP-SP2 or SP1

M$ pain in the arse! M$ RELEASE THE HEAD CRABS...Ops I mean RELEASE Win2k SP5 :!:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:19 am

What especially complicates Win2K is that IE6 SP1 would also have to be integrated (otherwise, making an update pack would be nearly useless since IE6 plus a bajillion security patches would still have to be installed after the fact).
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

DeTard

Post by DeTard » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:06 pm

I'm considering working on this HUGE project, although it might be more time consuming than what I can handle at the moment. As soon as I get XP SP2 reinstalled and my unattended project is finished, I will see what I can do. I'll see how little I can be a nuisance to you Ryan, but I almost guarantee I will need a hint here and there.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:11 pm

There's a great thread over at MSFN which details the process of integrating IE6 into the Win2K install source. Front there, the process should be pretty much the same.

I'm willing to bet IE6 even has a security catalog file with it, so you could protect all of those files with WFP like normal.

EDIT: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=32125

DeTard

Post by DeTard » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:43 pm

Can't believe I opened my big damn mouth on a public forum.... Surprisingly my message box isn't getting filled yet. I'll decide later if I really want to put this kind of time into a 5 year OS or not. As for IE6 updates, thanks Ryan, looks like a good read.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:49 pm

So, feeling up to it? :P

DjLizard

Post by DjLizard » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:50 pm

I heard through the grapevine that Microsoft is in the process of making a Windows 2000 roll-up. Is that at all true?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:54 pm

Yeah, I think that's right. I know they killed SP5.

codejunkie

Post by codejunkie » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:45 pm

I have a beta of the update, PM me for a link or just go on IRC and download it from irc.winbeta.org
Windows 2003 Update Pack - Current Version 1.3.8 (13 Oct 2006
Currently included more than 80 Updates aswell as extra programs and runtimes such as MSXML 2-6, Microsoft Update, Adobe Flash Player...etc
Based upon RyanVMs Windows XP PostSP2 Update Pack

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun May 01, 2005 10:00 am

Well, someone over at the MSFN boards has taken the gargantuan job upon his shoulders of creating this crazy pack.
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38064

buletov

Post by buletov » Mon May 02, 2005 5:11 am

...well, for me, Windows 2000 are cool....but not that much cool ;)
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

DeTard

Post by DeTard » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:29 pm

Woohoo!!! I knew if I went AWOL long enough someone would just get off their asses and do it for me!! :D Back in December when I had posted that, I had tons more time than I do now, but not it seems impossible for me to do something of that scale and to keep it updated regularly. I believe it really is needed for the community out there that is responsible for distributing an OS for their company or organization. I know personally it has saved me a great deal of time, and it being the most "clean" way of doing it is a huge bonus to me. I like to have the list of apps/updates to uninstall be as minimal as possible and for the number of backed up files to be low. I'm definitely a huge idealist when it comes to making that "perfect" installation that I make a disk image from (I might spend a month on one image btw, getting everything to work perfectly, and all permissions set). I really feel M$'s decision to nix SP5 was a huge mistake, and I know that my organization will not be moving to XP anytime soon (many computers behind the times, fiscal problems preventing from purchasing new equipment).

Anyhow, that's my spiel for now...

war59312

Post by war59312 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:28 pm

God Bless America

Gurgelmeyer

Post by Gurgelmeyer » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:39 am

Hope you like it :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:00 pm

Hey G 8)

Gurgelmeyer

Post by Gurgelmeyer » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:50 am

Hi :wink:

/G B)

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:48 pm

I am in the process of making an actual Update Pack for Windows 2000. It will be in the cab format. I need some help with it though. I only have access to a Windows 2000 pro CD, and someone with a server cd would really help me a lot. I have some questions first:
1. Can I make server and pro folders kind of like what are in the XP Update Pack?
2. How does the obsolete section work?
3. Do I need to list every hotfix replaced by the IE cumulative updates or just the ones replaced in the latest 1?
4. Are the pictures of gaming devices included in DirectX 9.0c required to go on the cd?

It will have IE6 SP1 and DirectX 9.0c with it (and any updates). Media Player 9 is still up in the air with me. I know the 891122 catolog files are required, but to me, that is it. If anyone has time, could they please make a Windows Media Player 9 Addon for Windows 2000? I can even tell you the current hotfixes for it. 817855 and 912452.

I should have an early beta ready in the next few weeks if I'm not too busy. Anyone willing to test, please PM me.

the_guy

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:54 am

RyanVM wrote:What especially complicates Win2K is that IE6 SP1 would also have to be integrated (otherwise, making an update pack would be nearly useless since IE6 plus a bajillion security patches would still have to be installed after the fact).
RrRrRrRrRrRaAaAaAaAaAaAaAwWwWwWwWwRrRrRrRrR!!!!! :evil:
I hate the damn complications of working on Windows 2000! :cry:
I originally got ahold of the Windows 2000 Professional source, slipstreamed SP4 and all was well. Then I discovered the second security rollup(the first was causing problems and I just got ahold of the fixed build) and integrated it. Big mistake. o_O It does what it's intended to, but it breaks Internet Explorer(IE6 needed!) and it breaks Outlook(WTF?! O_o). More than anything I had to seek help from XPCREATE to do so. Right now I'm wondering if the same can be done with NT 4 Server. =/
Anyway, we need the security rollup because Windows 2000 has so many damn security problems and I wouldn't trust it to handle network traffic without a very good hardware firewall or at bare minimum, ISA Server. It's just one of those things where people that don't like a TCPA compliant OS are getting shafted either way. On top of that, Windows 2000 is already past the midpoint of its life cycle and XP is right in the middle now. :(
DjLizard wrote:I heard through the grapevine that Microsoft is in the process of making a Windows 2000 roll-up. Is that at all true?
Done.
war59312 wrote:It's alive, it's alive:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58434

:D
OMFG! O_o
the_guy wrote:I am in the process of making an actual Update Pack for Windows 2000.
Please just start with IE 6.0 and then see what you can do after that. We all need it. Very badly. -_-
the_guy wrote:It will be in the cab format. I need some help with it though. I only have access to a Windows 2000 pro CD, and someone with a server cd would really help me a lot.
Sorry...I only have access to Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
the_guy wrote:1. Can I make server and pro folders kind of like what are in the XP Update Pack?
One large update pack? Eh...Never seen it done before. Better make two releases. ;)
the_guy wrote:3. Do I need to list every hotfix replaced by the IE cumulative updates or just the ones replaced in the latest 1?
That would be nice.
the_guy wrote:4. Are the pictures of gaming devices included in DirectX 9.0c required to go on the cd?
I've never seen them so I doubt we'll need them. Funny thing though...I resorted to XPCREATE for IE 6.0 only. Adding stuff like DirectX9 would make GDI32 errors popup(DirectX broke), so I was forced to leave that out. There's just no damn way to win! =/
the_guy wrote:It will have IE6 SP1 and DirectX 9.0c with it (and any updates).
Can you seperate these? I really don't want to go through those DX failures again.
the_guy wrote:I should have an early beta ready in the next few weeks if I'm not too busy. Anyone willing to test, please PM me.
It shouldn't be a problem. :)
Do you have stairs in your house?

bionicmanone

Post by bionicmanone » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:57 pm

I don't think an Update pack is really needed. HFSLIP does everything for you. Slipstreams DX9 & IE6 SP1 & will intergrate WMP9. It's quick & easy. In my last attempt I even added some XP dll's to enable me to use MediaPortal & the Windows Defender Addon (GDI+) You can always put it through Nlite afterwards if you wish.
There seems to be a couple of list going around as to what the updates are but this one worked perfect for me & when entered Windows Update only offered me the .NetFrameworks. You can ofcourse add them aswell to your installation using the Ryan integrator.
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=9 ... opic=62178