[Question] Replacing 2K partition manager with XP

Windows 2000 Professional Update Pack discussion.
bobotlito

[Question] Replacing 2K partition manager with XP

Post by bobotlito » Sat May 17, 2008 2:12 am

when i boot from windows 2000 cd and come up to partitioning portion, it doesn't have the "quick format" option, only "full" format.
But in XP, it has both.

Is there anyone who knows what files to extract from XP cd and paste to 2K cd. Surely, they are only a few files.

Thanks

crashfly

Re: [Question] Replacing 2K partition manager with XP

Post by crashfly » Sat May 17, 2008 2:43 am

bobotlito wrote:when i boot from windows 2000 cd and come up to partitioning portion, it doesn't have the "quick format" option, only "full" format.
But in XP, it has both.

Is there anyone who knows what files to extract from XP cd and paste to 2K cd. Surely, they are only a few files.

Thanks
The alternative is to pre-format it using something like partition magic dos version. This way, you can just have the setup not even worry about formatting it. Otherwise, I do not know what you would need to do to enable that for W2k. However, I do find that most computers that are good enough to support W2k can already support XP also.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Dyslexic60

Post by Dyslexic60 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:33 am

I would love to have this info as well, 2k Installs slow me down because of this

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:21 pm

You could try replacing setupldr.bin, but I don't know how well that would work. Their install structures are similar enough that it might work.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:33 am

RyanVM wrote:You could try replacing setupldr.bin, but I don't know how well that would work. Their install structures are similar enough that it might work.
I seem to recall that W2k has a slightly older version of NTFS than XP does. If I remember correctly, you have to have W2k up to at least SP4 so that W2k could read newer XP NTFS partitions. Just something to be wary of.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

laddanator

Post by laddanator » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:24 pm

You could try replacing setupldr.bin, but I don't know how well that would work. Their install structures are similar enough that it might work.[quote]

Good idea,but I couldnt get that to work I tried it many diff ways but replacing setupldr with XP's didnt work for me.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 am

I tried messing with XP files some time ago but the only working result I got was to have "Windows 2002 Server" displayed at the top instead of Windows 2000, etc. but the partitioning/formatting part of the setup was still the original 2K one, i.e. without the quick format option :/