Problems with Rollup 2

Windows 2000 Professional Update Pack discussion.
chzuck

Problems with Rollup 2

Post by chzuck » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

I was recently given a ThinkPad T22 without an OS. I followed this link to get a copy of W2k http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... 00-Pro-ISO
After installing the OS, I went to http://windows2000.tk/ and installed Rollup 1 and 2. I also went to IBM and got all the drivers I needed.
Then I noticed a problem. When I brought the laptop out of STANDBY I got the BSOD. Memory would dump and the computer would reboot and work fine. I tried several different things and eventually thought I had my OS so screwed up that I should start over. I wiped the HDD clean with Acronis, then slipstreamed SP 5.1 from the Geeks site into W2k PRO w/SP4. I installed that and checked to make sure STANDBY worked OK and it did. At this point I made an Acronis backup in case I got into a problem I could not get out of.
Next I installed Rollup 2 and the problem came back. I uninstalled it and the problem was gone. I installed Windows2000-UURollup-v10c-x86-ENU.exe and it was still OK. I installed Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-SrvExt-v2-x86-ENU.exe to get more hotfixes and all was OK. According to Belarc Advisor, I still needed 40 some updates, which I installed manually. All the updates and hotfixes are installed now and the STANDBY feature works great. I made an Acronis backup just in case I screw it up again.

Long story, but is there something I did wrong or was there something my laptop did not like to have this problem. I had tried to find the problem with Debugger, but was unfamiliar with the program and just could not figure it out. It did have something to do with ntoskrnl.exe.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Hmm, maybe there is a bug in one of the hotfixes by request (HBRs) included in UR2. Do you remember what exactly was shown on the BSOD? I think that we should be able to trace the issue but I need to know all details first.

Was there something related to i8042prt.sys? Do you use USB mouse / keyboard? Could you describe your hardware?

Could you try to install KB979683 manually (this is the last official kernel update) and tell me whether standby works or not?

Have you tried to install USP5.1 + UR2 + UURollup?

chzuck

Post by chzuck » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:43 pm

I need to apologize that I am not real knowledgeable when things get this deep in computers. I don't know what i8042prt.sys is.
I am using a ps2 mouse on an IBM ThinkPad T22 laptop.

As I said before, I slipstreamed SP5.1 into W2kPRO SP4 and installed that without problem. Then I installed UR2 and that is when STANDBY did not work. I un-installed UR2 and STANDBY worked. Then I installed UURolllup and even the server update to try and get as many updates and hot-fixes as I could. I used Belarc Advisor and it said I need about 40 more hot-fixes/updates, which I installed one at a time.

I don't have a problem now. Everything is working well now, but I thought I would try and find out what I did wrong or what my laptop did not like. Below is a link to a photo I took of the BSOD. http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo26 ... fb526c.jpg

I really appreciate your work and all the info you have made available for unsupported software that still works and is valuable. I have learned much through your website, but still have much to learn.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm guessing that it must be one of the files included in UR2 to cause the problem.

Would it be a problem for you to install UR2 again now? I mean - don't remove any other already installed packages (UURollup, etc.), just install UR2 over them. After that try to put your laptop to standby. Report the results. If it doesn't work then try to uninstall UR2 and check standby again.

There are ~250 updates and hotfixes included in UR2 so I wouldn't be surprised if one of them turns out to be buggy.

chzuck

Post by chzuck » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:24 pm

OK. I do have an Acronis full backup in case something goes very wrong. It may be a day or two until I can get some time to try it.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:57 pm

No problem. UURollup installed some newer kenel related files so I need to know whether the issue still occurs after installing UR2 in the current configuration.

I personally haven't experienced any such problems on my computer, and I do use standby on a regular basis.

chzuck

Post by chzuck » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:25 pm

I had an opportunity to download and install UR2. I had the same problem with STANDBY. Uninstalled it and STANDBY worked again as it should.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 am

Good. Now we are sure that it's something included in UR2 to cause this issue.

I can try to look for the culprit but it can't be done without your help. What I can do is to divide UR2 into a few separate rollups. This way we can reduce the number of updates / files to check. Then when it's known which of the small rollups causes the problem then it can be divided again and again until we find the problematic file (or registry setting).

I'll try to prepare five separate packages for testing shortly.