How to create an integrated x86/x64 Windows 7 DVD

Windows 7 Update Pack discussion.
ChiefZeke

How to create an integrated x86/x64 Windows 7 DVD

Post by ChiefZeke » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Credit for this is to a user DKane from MDL forum.

Materials required:
Windows 7 x32 install media
Windows 7 x64 install media
Hex editor with search-and-replace, and support for unicode strings.
WAIK 2.0

Optional materials:
Windows 7 Enterprise x32 & x64 install media
(only required if you wish to have these editions available)

Stage 1: arranging files

Okay, in this guide we shall be working on the D: drive, but any drive letter you have available shall do.

In this stage we set up a directory structure to be used for the rest of the stages.

Firstly, create the folders:
D:\AIO\DVD

and

D:\AIO\WIMs

Next, extract contents of the x86 DVD into D:\AIO\DVD

Delete all .clg files from D:\AIO\DVD\sources

delete ei.cfg from D:\AIO\DVD\sources

Then move install.wim from D:\AIO\DVD\sources to D:\AIO\WIMs, and rename it ULTx86.wim
Then extract install. wim from the x64 DVD to WIMs, and rename it ULTx64.wim

And optionally, extract the install.wim from the x86 and x64 Enterprise DVDs, renaming them ENTx86.wim and ENTx64.wim respectively.

Finally, extract the content of the sources directory (except install.wim and ei.cfg) from the x64 DVD to D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64,
and copy the setup.exe from the x64 DVD to D:\AIO\DVD as setup64.exe

Stage 2: Building the WIM

Now we must build the install.wim (that's the file that contains the different versions of windows, if you didn't know), by exporting images from the .WIMS we have.

Assuming you've done exactly as I've said, open the deployment tools command prompt (from WAIK), and enter these commands:
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 STARTER"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 2 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME BASIC"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 3 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 4 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ENTx86.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ENTERPRISE"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 5 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME BASIC (x64)"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 2 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM (x64)"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 3 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL (x64)"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ENTx64.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ENTERPRISE (x64)"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 4 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (x64)"
You can skip the Enterprise ones if you chose not to include Enterprise. Well, you could skip any of them, but I reccommend including all you can,
as it does not take up much additional room (I assume WIM automatically reuses files), and you never know when you might need to do a clean install for someone!

Sage 3: Modifying the BCD

Here we modify the DVD's BCD, so as to add an x64 recovery option. The recovery option is just that: it cannot install.
To improve user transparency, the boot timeout shall be set to 3 sec, so as to be almost unnoticeable if not needed.

Ok, open an administative command prompt.

Navigate to D:\AIO\DVD

Now make a copy of the default loader by executing:
bcdedit /store boot\bcd /copy {default} /d "x64 Recovery Mode"
This command shall tell you the GUID of the copy made, make a note of it.

Next set the new loader to load the 64 bit PE by executing:
bcdedit /store boot\bcd /set {GUID} device ramdisk=[boot]\sourc64\boot.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}
bcdedit /store boot\bcd /set {GUID} osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sourc64\boot.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}
Replace {GUID} with the GUID you noted down)

Finally, alter the boot timeout by executing:
bcdedit /store boot\bcd /timeout 3
Stage 4: getting upgrade to work

Now, the one problem left is upgrade installs on 64 bit. This involves hex editing files, and so breaks the digital signature,
causing the ugly yellow UAC prompt. This is, I am almost ashamed to say, the first of two such cosmetic glitches.

Now first open D:\AIO\DVD\setup64.exe in your hex editor. Search and replace all instances of the unicode string "sources\" with "sourc64\".
Although this breaks the signature, it does not break the program, because both strings are the same length.

Now, open D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64\autorun.dll, and replace all instances of the unicode string "sources\setup.exe" with "sourc64\lunch.cmd"

(in case you were wondering, it was going to be launch.cmd, but I had to drop one letter...)

Now, create a file in D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64 called lunch.cmd containing exactly this:
setup.exe /m:sourc64 /installfrom:\sources\install.wim
NOTE: If you are using a SP1 slipstreamed image, lunch.cmd should instead contain exactly this:
setup.exe /installfrom:\sources\install.wim
This is the cause of the second cosmetic glitch. A command prompt is briefly visible before setup is launched.

Now, the autorun.inf must be modified so that it runs setup64 on x64 systems. Modify it so it contains:
[Autorun.Amd64]
open=setup64.exe
icon=setup64.exe,0

[Autorun]
open=setup.exe
icon=setup.exe,0
Now, finally, we're ready to master a DVD. Open up the deployment tools command prompt, and enter:
oscdimg.exe -l7_AIO -t10/22/2009:00:00 -m -u2 -bD:\AIO\DVD\Boot\etfsboot.com D:\AIO\DVD D:\7_AIO.ISO

From Kelsenellenelvian:

Here are the 2 hexed files and the lunch.cmd files for easier usage!

http://www.wpiw.net/downloads/HexedFiles.7z

Size = 128 kb

File: HexedFiles.7z
CRC-32: 56696231
MD4: 1eaee7615eb038c5c282319a366a0035
MD5: 58465fe899c431fc19051afa4b02794b
SHA-1: 5faffbb1596b2c551777b24da2f83cb4abdac51a

I suggest win7toolkit for the blending and then you don't even need to use WAIK!!!

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:34 am

Thanks

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:06 am

Yeah, I checked that out today. Seems completely possible to make everything integrated. I will have to test it out (and then update it) to see if it can do what it says it can do.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:41 pm

I did it -worked just fine - all versions are now on one DVD

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:04 pm

ChiefZeke wrote:I did it -worked just fine - all versions are now on one DVD
but you may only have repair option for x86 ?
there is another tutorial that allows for repair of x86 and 64 installs.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:43 pm

Which is where user_hidden, and have you tried it, and does it work? Can they then be combined so you can have all the install options AND repair either x86 OR x64? And I assume there is also a way to integrate all the updates so everything is up to date? And Driverpacks as well? And run from USB so there is no problem regarding size limit? Can you tell I want it ALL? :)

Cheers and Regards

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:01 am

user_hidden wrote:
ChiefZeke wrote:I did it -worked just fine - all versions are now on one DVD
but you may only have repair option for x86 ?
there is another tutorial that allows for repair of x86 and 64 installs.
Please share it. thanks.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:54 am

I can't really test it - both of my systems have Win7 w/SP1 installed and the integrated DVD I made has Win7 without SP1; and I doubt if the repair option would work.

When/if I can find a way to slipstream/integrate SP1 into the original Win7 DVDs and then make a new merged DVD I could have an answer.

As of today I have not found a program that will slipstream/integrate SP1; though the folks responsible for RT7Lite indicate they are creating one. Wll just have to wait and see.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 am

But I would assume that if you have a source with SP1 already integrated with it, such as available directly from MS, that you could then integrate all the other updates since SP1 in it and do all the above to it as well? Using ... what? Anyone have a tutorial for that?

Cheers and Regards

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 am

There is not way to integrate sp1 offline (at least error free,) the only way is to sysprep and capture A.K.A. reverse integration

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:17 am

Yes, the offcial source with SP1(MSDN source) uses the same way as rick mentioned.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:07 am

Yes, I know, though ChiefZeke might not have. That's why I said assuming I already had the MS (MSDN) source, then can I integrate all the updates SINCE SP1, AND create the multi-install source, AND allow repair to both x86 and x64 installs, AND integrate DriverPacks, AND run the result from USB? I'll worry about any other addons and/or tweaks afterwards.

Cheers and Regards

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:09 am

Credit for this is to a user DKane from MDL forum.

Materials required:
Windows 7 x32 install media
Windows 7 x64 install media
Hex editor with search-and-replace, and support for unicode strings.
WAIK 2.0

Optional materials:
Windows 7 Enterprise x32 & x64 install media
(only required if you wish to have these editions available)

Stage 1: arranging files

Okay, in this guide we shall be working on the D: drive, but any drive letter you have available shall do.

In this stage we set up a directory structure to be used for the rest of the stages.

Firstly, create the folders:
D:\AIO\DVD

and

D:\AIO\WIMs

Next, extract contents of the x86 DVD into D:\AIO\DVD

Delete all .clg files from D:\AIO\DVD\sources

delete ei.cfg from D:\AIO\DVD\sources

Then move install.wim from D:\AIO\DVD\sources to D:\AIO\WIMs, and rename it ULTx86.wim
Then extract install. wim from the x64 DVD to WIMs, and rename it ULTx64.wim

And optionally, extract the install.wim from the x86 and x64 Enterprise DVDs, renaming them ENTx86.wim and ENTx64.wim respectively.

Finally, extract the content of the sources directory (except install.wim and ei.cfg) from the x64 DVD to D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64,
and copy the setup.exe from the x64 DVD to D:\AIO\DVD as setup64.exe

Stage 2: Building the WIM

Now we must build the install.wim (that's the file that contains the different versions of windows, if you didn't know), by exporting images from the .WIMS we have.

Assuming you've done exactly as I've said, open the deployment tools command prompt (from WAIK), and enter these commands:
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 STARTER"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 2 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME BASIC"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 3 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 4 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ENTx86.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ENTERPRISE"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 5 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME BASIC (x64)"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 2 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM (x64)"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 3 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL (x64)"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ENTx64.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ENTERPRISE (x64)"
Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 4 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (x64)"
You can skip the Enterprise ones if you chose not to include Enterprise. Well, you could skip any of them, but I reccommend including all you can,
as it does not take up much additional room (I assume WIM automatically reuses files), and you never know when you might need to do a clean install for someone!

Sage 3: Modifying the BCD

Here we modify the DVD's BCD, so as to add an x64 recovery option. The recovery option is just that: it cannot install.
To improve user transparency, the boot timeout shall be set to 3 sec, so as to be almost unnoticeable if not needed.

Ok, open an administative command prompt.

Navigate to D:\AIO\DVD

Now make a copy of the default loader by executing:
bcdedit /store boot\bcd /copy {default} /d "x64 Recovery Mode"
This command shall tell you the GUID of the copy made, make a note of it.

Next set the new loader to load the 64 bit PE by executing:
bcdedit /store boot\bcd /set {GUID} device ramdisk=[boot]\sourc64\boot.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}
bcdedit /store boot\bcd /set {GUID} osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sourc64\boot.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}
Replace {GUID} with the GUID you noted down)

Finally, alter the boot timeout by executing:
bcdedit /store boot\bcd /timeout 3
Stage 4: getting upgrade to work

Now, the one problem left is upgrade installs on 64 bit. This involves hex editing files, and so breaks the digital signature,
causing the ugly yellow UAC prompt. This is, I am almost ashamed to say, the first of two such cosmetic glitches.

Now first open D:\AIO\DVD\setup64.exe in your hex editor. Search and replace all instances of the unicode string "sources\" with "sourc64\".
Although this breaks the signature, it does not break the program, because both strings are the same length.

Now, open D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64\autorun.dll, and replace all instances of the unicode string "sources\setup.exe" with "sourc64\lunch.cmd"

(in case you were wondering, it was going to be launch.cmd, but I had to drop one letter...)

Now, create a file in D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64 called lunch.cmd containing exactly this:
setup.exe /m:sourc64 /installfrom:\sources\install.wim
NOTE: If you are using a SP1 slipstreamed image, lunch.cmd should instead contain exactly this:
setup.exe /installfrom:\sources\install.wim
This is the cause of the second cosmetic glitch. A command prompt is briefly visible before setup is launched.

Now, the autorun.inf must be modified so that it runs setup64 on x64 systems. Modify it so it contains:
[Autorun.Amd64]
open=setup64.exe
icon=setup64.exe,0

[Autorun]
open=setup.exe
icon=setup.exe,0
Now, finally, we're ready to master a DVD. Open up the deployment tools command prompt, and enter:
oscdimg.exe -l7_AIO -t10/22/2009:00:00 -m -u2 -bD:\AIO\DVD\Boot\etfsboot.com D:\AIO\DVD D:\7_AIO.ISO

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks very much, user_hidden, and ChiefZeke for starting this thread.

Cheers and Regards

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Check this out: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php? ... v101-beta/

this toolkit does a lot of what has been talked about here.

winxp_pro

Post by winxp_pro » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:32 pm

nice work
what about taking or making windows vista ultimate from AIO
my dvd is AIO Windows 7 HOME BASIC Windows 7 ULTIMATE Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM X86 AND x64
i want only vista ultimate x86
how do i do it? please help

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:31 pm

One possibility for use with Vista is vLite - check here: http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/153-vlite/

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:10 am

OK JUST went through the step 4 of this guide.

Little confusing but I THINK I got it right.

I will let you know in @ 1hr. (Yes I am testing fully live!)

IF it works right I will flesh the guide out a bit and pin a version because i always hated not having the 64 recovery options on installs with my a-i-o usb drive!!!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:02 pm

IT WORKED!!!

Kinda got lost when I used tiny hexer to do the hex edits because it wasn't set up to look for text and Unicode right from the box.

Will flesh out the tut a little bit more and make a sticky of it.

IMHO this is a must for any enthusiast!

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:49 pm

8)

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Screw the fleshing the tut out:

Here are the 2 hexed files and the lunch.cmd files for easier usage!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2nvw38fpz ... 0Files.rar

I suggest win7toolkit for the blending and then you don't even need to use WAIK!!!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:25 pm

EDited first post to make the tut easier to find

Sorry Chief to steal your thread!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks Kel! I assume you used an SP1 integrated source when you built this? If one wanted to also go ahead and integrate all post-SP1 hotfixes to have the disc be up to date, when in the process would one do that and which tool would you recommend using - Win7Toolkit? Thanks again.

Cheers and Regards

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:25 am

Hell yes I used the win7 sp1-u iso's i have. (U-is the refresh build)

Yup win7toolkit seems to be the best suited to our purposes.

Definatly do the updates before merging wim files it would be quicker.

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:40 am

If you ge here: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php? ... -sp1-disk/ you will find refresh downloads for Ultimate and Professional (link posted by Legolash - W7Toolkit author).

Looking at the latest W7Toolkit I would highly recommend using it as an excellent method to update Win7 32 or 64-bit.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey Kel or user_hidden, any chance of reworking user_hidden's Tutorial above - http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 489#113489 - using W7Toolkit instead of WAIK, if that is possible, showing how to create an integrated x86/x64 Windows 7 DVD while still allowing repair options of both x86 and 64 installs? It should be both shorter and faster than using WAIK I would think, and since "this is a must for any enthusiast!" it sure would be nice to have.

Cheers and Regards

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:15 am

It is shorter AND faster as the WHOLE process is automated by the toolkit! :O