[Tutorial]Making your own DriverPacks for n00bs

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
ricktendo64

[Tutorial]Making your own DriverPacks for n00bs

Post by ricktendo64 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:33 am

I recently made my own custom 6 megabite BTS Driverpack and it was so easy I thought I would share how I did it with you guys http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=279
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScOOt3r

Post by ScOOt3r » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:40 pm

Thanks for sharing Rick.. gonna have to try this one myself.

ScOOt3r!
Go Canada Go!

ScOOt3r

Post by ScOOt3r » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:37 am

This worked fine, i made my own compliation, it was about 8mb

ScOOT3r!

P.S. Thanks Rick!
Go Canada Go!

T D

Post by T D » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:12 pm

Go Ricktendo!
Eazypeazy tutorial.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:26 pm

That's awesome.
Shame the utility you used isn't free. :cry:
A BTS Driverpackmaker would be so easy to use.
Sigh.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:53 pm

mr_smartepants wrote:A BTS Driverpackmaker would be so easy to use.
Yes it would be nice if someone would make a BTS DriverPack maker based on Driver Genius Pro and the nLite Addon Maker, which will backup the drivers on your computer and 7zip them for integration with DPs Base, even better add the option into the next version of DriverPacks Base.

BTW: Here is a free driver backup tool http://boozet.xepher.net/dd/index.htm
Its not as good as Driver Gen Pro cuz it backs up everything, Driver Gen Pro only backs up the third party drivers, so i dont really recomend it.
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScOOt3r

Post by ScOOt3r » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:21 pm

Rick this worked fine, I really appreciate all your Help on this, and my pack is only about 10mb which is good for me.

Thanks again

ScOOt3r!
Go Canada Go!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:19 pm

-Hey ScOOt3r did you back your printers also?
-Does the printer have to be on during setup?
-Will it work if the printer is turned off?
-Will it work if i turned on the printer after?

I think the answer is yes it has to be on and no it wont work if its off
I havent tried it yet, just want to know if you have

ScOOt3r

Post by ScOOt3r » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:34 pm

Hey Rick,

Well yes i did backup my printers and yes it has to be on during setup and it seems to only work when the printer is on,,but thats fine with me.

You are correct for all the above.,

I had one error of a missing file during intergration but i re did it and it worked fine

ScOOt3r!
Go Canada Go!

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:48 pm

DGPro looked a very promising tool but that wasn't to be.

I re-installed WinXP just 2 weeks ago but I used nLite to delete some components I thought I didn't need but actually do. So I was very interested in using DGPro to create my own BTS driverpack prior to re-installing WinXP again (to put back the missing stuff).

Downloaded the trial version, updated the Driver DB online & scanned my system. DGPro identified several drivers INCORRECTLY & others as needing to be updated. Hit the download driver button only to find the driver download function to be disabled ... bit hard to fully test a pgm if 1 or more of it's functions are disabled.

I have a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo & DGPro incorrectly identified my onboard sound as Realtek AC97 instead of ADI AD1985 SoundMax. DGPro also incorrectly identified my DiamondView 648U scanner (actually a rebadged ACER) as a BENQ 340U/640U scanner (maybe the BENQ is also a rebaged ACER) . DGPro failed to even identify/find my MS wireless Natural keyboard (IntelliType drivers). DGPro did identify the IntelliPoint drivers for the mouse.

According to DGPro the Intel chipset, Intel network, Viewsonic VP2030B monitor & ATI graphic drivers all needed to be updated (+ the wrong sound & scanner drivers).

However, they are ALL up-to-date except for the ATI graphic drivers.

I also have a Canon i865 printer & DGPro driver DB lists this is a UNknown device !!!!

Tried the backup option ... it worked, well, it didn't get a error. However, the backup failed to backup my DV648U scanner & IntelliType drivers at all (not surprised) & missed heaps of files for the printer & graphics card ... I compared the files backed up by DGPro with the list of new/updated files installed as recorded by InstallWatch Pro during the actual installation.

I don't think I'll be buying the product.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:58 pm

Its not only Driver Gen Pro that MiSS-identifies the hardware, Ive also tried Driver Magician and it aslo MiSS-identifies the same harware the same way. (I thought it was my hardware that was causing it to do so)

But the backup function works good, thats the only good thing about it and thats why I use it.

I would Looooooooove a BTS DriverPack Maker
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:24 am

Ricardo,

DM & DGPro are remarkably SIMILAR pgms...

Tried DM & it also mis-identified my sound & scanner just like DGPro. Again it presented the RealTek & BENQ downloads just like DGPro.

However, it ...

* Failed to identify BOTH IntelliType & IntelliPoint drivers.
* Failed to identify the 1394 drivers ... & a few others it looks like.
* Did say that the Intel Chipset, Intel Network & Viewsonic were aOK.

Backup...

* For the Canon printer DM backed up 160 files, compared to 59 files by DGPro.
* Soundmax ... DM - 7, DGPro - 10, and there are a number of DIFFERENT files !!!!
* Ditto for a lot of other drivers ... same dir names but their contents are somewhat different when comparing DM & DGPro.
But the backup function works good, thats the only good thing about it and thats why I use it.
Can't agree with you there. Although I REALLY like the concept of these 2 pgms, I don't think either of them work anywhere near well enough to be used.
Thats why we need a BTS DriverPack Maker, lets lobby Bashrat or someone who knows how to make one.
Agree completely. If something like DGPro or DM worked 100% it would be a much, much better alternative FOR ME than using the existing BTS Driver packs.

Oh well, they were a nice idea ...

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:31 am

I agree. Having a utility like that would be a godsend.

However, petitions only work if you're non-aggressive. Never say "you need to do this! Or. Make this or I'm taking my business elsewere". Always be respectful of the persons' work and say "please" and "thank you". Grovelling helps to sometimes. :lol:

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:42 am

mr_smartepants wrote:non-aggressive.
I agree, lets not bother BTS, hes a very busy dude and let me add smart if I may.

@ Bazza... Driver Collector backup works just as good maybe better as Driv Gen Pro and here is one that backs up everything Double Driver, there both FREE!

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:54 am

If you guys get all the info needed on how to get the driver info off of a system and get the info to me I may put something together. ;) I think this would be a great addition to my collection of tools. :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:10 am

Yay Siginet :D

I wish I knew how
BTW: Bashrat says that the [SourceDisksFiles] are the only fies needed for DPs Base, here is his Tutorial on making your own manually, maybe have the BTS-DPM do this instead of backing up drivers

Driver Backup/Update tool and looks much nicer than DG Pro My Drivers
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:52 pm

Siginet,

Thanks very muchly for your offer.

The BTS Driver packs are great for PC techo's who install Windows on a variety of different PC's since you can include drivers for just about everything on the Windows CD/DVD. In my case, I'm just a home PC hack who occasionally (re-)installs Windows on family &/or friends PC's. I'm NO Windows expert but fortunately (or unfortunately) I know a little more about Windows than they do, so I usually get the "Help Me" phone call.

For *ME* (& those in a similar situation), I/we don't really need the FULL BTS Driver packs, just those drivers that exist on the PC. This is why I was very interested in Ricks' thread about creating a driver pack with just the right drivers in it & would be very interested in any tool that you or someone else develop.

Anyway, as far as I can tell all 3 Driver backup pgms I tried worked the same way, ie. they each scanned the Windows/inf directory. For the non-MS drivers they selected the OEMxx.inf files & tried to backup the files listed in the inf.

What's strange is that all 3 pgms gave DIFFERENT results. As to why I have no idea.

There maybe & probably is more involved that just scanning the OEMxx.inf files but I don't know enough about Windows to suggest what that might be.

@Rick,
I also tried Double Driver. This was the best of the 3 pgms in viewing the drivers installed ... mainly because it's window is resizable. However, the backup failed completely for nearly everthing. I'm fairly certain the reason the backup failed was that DD couldn't backup "open &/or in-use files".

Also:
http://www.zhangduo.com/driverbackup.html
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /driverbackup.html on this server.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:36 pm

Guess what guys...!!! I did it... I made my own version of a driver backerupper program utility thingy mer jigger. :D

At least it is working for me so far. I'll let you guys play with it soon. I'll upload it to siginet software forums.

So far it just automatically grabs any drivers that are not provided by microsoft. It doesn't let you select which ones though. And it has no progressbars or anything. So you just click the exe and give it time. Once it's done you have a drivers folder with all of your third party drivers in it. :)

I think it's awesome!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:40 pm

Yes! Yes! Thank You!

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:07 pm

Siginet, I have quite a bit of experience with devcon. I can write all of the options that you mentioned that aren't included in it yet into a batch script. I've actually been using devcon for quite some time now. I would write scripts to uninstall and reinstall USB WiFi adapters, custom "rollback" scripts, etc. So yeah, if you want help, just let me know.

edit: I haven't read through the entire thread, but in case it hasn't been mentioned, devcon is a MS command-line utility that lets you backup and install drivers.

ScOOt3r

Post by ScOOt3r » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:32 pm

Sweet Signet, cant wait for it to be available.

thanks
Go Canada Go!

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:12 am

dumpydooby wrote:Siginet, I have quite a bit of experience with devcon. I can write all of the options that you mentioned that aren't included in it yet into a batch script. I've actually been using devcon for quite some time now. I would write scripts to uninstall and reinstall USB WiFi adapters, custom "rollback" scripts, etc. So yeah, if you want help, just let me know.

edit: I haven't read through the entire thread, but in case it hasn't been mentioned, devcon is a MS command-line utility that lets you backup and install drivers.
Exactly the program I am using to simplify the process. ;)

It would be cool if you can teach me some tricks though. I'm just learning devcon.exe
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:14 am

OooooOOOOooooo Damn Siginet I want to give that driver app a try...

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:28 am

Heh. Amen and a second on that one. :)

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:39 pm

Thanks for the instructions.

I haven't been able to use the DriverPacks lately as my audio hasn't worked for the last couple versions (seems to be well documented as a recent error).

For the last 10 installs or so I've had to do the audio and a few others manually.

This is MUCH NICER! It also gets my TV Tuner card, which is definately a plus.

20MB is also good considering the video drivers alone before compression were 65!

THANKS RICK!

Edit: Also, the software he referenced has a 15-day trial period. Seems easy enough to install the software, update your driverpack, reformat & repeat at next reformat (if you've updated anything).
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:20 pm

I use Driver Backup by IcemanND... IMO it does the best job.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:58 pm

I think SmartDriverBackup is a good one too.

http://www.paraglidernc.com/files/Smart ... kup201.zip
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

arco

Post by arco » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:14 pm

LOL siginet what about your own app?
Driver Grabber has not the error here that Driver Backup has, but no the maker of my favorite program, talk about an other :wink:

OK tested...Yes also Smart Driver Backup works like a charm. You can choose which drivers you want to backup (that option I missed in Driver Grabber) and it's really faster then Driver Backup.

I'm sure that DrvComp for Display drivers (and some others) the best option is, but it's not an backup tool.

And don't forget Driver Genius for updating your drivers and Driver Cleaner NET if you want to update.

SoKoOLz

Post by SoKoOLz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:34 am

woo,
Thank you