made the tz self install program, now what?

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
grief

made the tz self install program, now what?

Post by grief » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:18 am

i followed the tutorial to mash office 2003 down to a 71 meg 7z exe installer.

i have basically put my slipstream together with the integrater program and then removed components with nlite and everything goes well how i have it now. however i'd like to get this automated install of office in my uacd.

i'm very new to this, without all these wonderfull programs i'd be lost. i've read all of the tutorials but i'm still at a lose on how to add this after nlite's done doing its thing.

a nice simple step by step would be much appreciated if you could.

i apologize for my ignorance if i missed a post, but i haven't found any yet that i can follow well :P

big thank you to everyone who has put together these addons/tutorials. really cool stuff!

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:23 am

I'm in exactly the same situation - I have made an administrative build which contains only what I want in Office and have 7zipped it down (not as small as yours though - mine is about 150MB) but I can't get it to auto-install.

Double clicking the file works so it is not something serious I have done wrong either.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:34 am

unattended.msfn.org
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

grief

Post by grief » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:40 pm

RyanVM wrote:unattended.msfn.org
i've read that guide so many times lol. i just don't have the room on the cd to fit that in there so i'm just trying to figure out how to get this to run.

i'm wet behind the ears when it comes to this. i've been using the integrator for updates/addons, then nlite to remove components.

sorry for bugging ya ryanvm, i know the newbs are pains in your ass :?

T D

Post by T D » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:13 am

Well, mebbe u haven't read it cover to cover.
A link on the ua guide to: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=8381 and http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=25110
The info is right in front of u, all u have to do is open ur eyes ;)

grief

Post by grief » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:02 pm

got it to work using a batch file placed in the $oem$ directory of the cd.

i was really looking for more of a explaination. i think since nlite makes the entry for the svcpack in the cmdline.txt and it just runs it for me.

anyhow heres the details for other "sub par" readers.

create a txt file named cmdlines.txt and place it in your $oem$ directory on the root of your windows unattended cd folder with the following contents:

Code: Select all

[COMMANDS]
"install.cmd"
create another txt file named install in the $oem$ folder and save it as install.cmd with the following contents:

cmdow @ /HID
@Echo Off

SET PP=%SystemDrive%\Install\

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Software" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /VE /D "Office 2003 Proffessional SP2....Please Wait" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\004 /V 1 /D "%PP%office2003.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /VE /D "Cleaning Up" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT
now make a the subfolder inside $oem$ called $1. make a text file in this folder named cleanup.cmd with the following contents:

cmdow @ /HID
shutdown.exe -r -f -t60 -c "Windows XP will restart in 60 seconds.."

RD /S /Q "%systemdrive%\install"
inside the $1 directory create folder called "install" and inside it place your office2003.exe self installer.

like i said i don't know how it works but it does and i was able to use the 72mb office installer to fit everything i wanted on a single cd not dvd.

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:44 am

Thanks Grief - I have an amit-talking build of XP which has Office integrated using a very similar technique. I will see if I can get my version to install following your guide which is a lot simpler to follow than anything else I have seen.

BTW - did you get Office Shrink to work to get it down to just 72MB?